Haiti is not DR's Responsibility

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Ricardo900 said:
1. Create a proposal that will solve this crisis within the next five years.
2. Set up a website (if possible) to gain support from dominicans abroad
3. Get a petition drive going
4. Do Something

1. Who will you pay me for this? And maybe 5 years is too short to completely solve things, maybe we should discuss what constitues solving the problem first before putting a time frame to it.
2. I don't know how to do this but it is certainly a good idea!
3. Again a good plan.
4. I would gladly assume the Presidential role in the DR and Haiti at the same time..

But until I am offered both positions mentioned under 4, I will limit my role to that of internet philosopher on a message board... it's good to be aware of your limitations..

Besides, good, sound analysis is not so easy as it might seem, given a number of post here.. if anybody likes my ideas.. run with them..

Also, as I am not Dominican I would actually prefer it if a Dominican/Haitian combination would solve their mutual problems, rather than forcing a 'foreign solution' upon the population.. in my experience it leads to a far greater degree of acceptance from the population

Cheers,

MD

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
great feedback

MerengueDutchie said:
1. Who will you pay me for this? And maybe 5 years is too short to completely solve things, maybe we should discuss what constitues solving the problem first before putting a time frame to it.
2. I don't know how to do this but it is certainly a good idea!
3. Again a good plan.
4. I would gladly assume the Presidential role in the DR and Haiti at the same time..

But until I am offered both positions mentioned under 4, I will limit my role to that of internet philosopher on a message board... it's good to be aware of your limitations..

Besides, good, sound analysis is not so easy as it might seem, given a number of post here.. if anybody likes my ideas.. run with them..

Also, as I am not Dominican I would actually prefer it if a Dominican/Haitian combination would solve their mutual problems, rather than forcing a 'foreign solution' upon the population.. in my experience it leads to a far greater degree of acceptance from the population

Cheers,

MD
Now we are getting somewhere, five years is too short, but it can stop the hemorrhaging. A proposal does not have to be long, you already gave four ideas that will help the situation, run with it.
I am not dominican, but I love dominican culture and the people.
Believe it or not there is a solution! Oh yeah
5. research online on how other countries deal with their migration problems
http://www.minutemanhq.com/

It's not much, but it is a start.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003

Cheers,

MD,

It doesn't matter if u'r a foreigner as long as ur not exploiting the situation for ur own interest then why not.. This is one of the many reasons why haiti and even DR have so many problems. Obtaining loans at time of crisis and dont realize there are strings attached. To make matters worse those funds are not even channeled for its true purpose which is to help the mass. It would take more than funds to help resolve the issues in Haiti and the DR. I honestly think its people like u that can make a difference.. So dont hesitate..

One other things..most Haitians are catholics

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Quisqueya said:
...One other things..most Haitians are catholics

Roman Catholicism is the official religion of Haiti, but voodoo may be considered the country's national religion. The majority of Haitians believe in and practice at least some aspects of voodoo. Most voodooists believe that their religion can coexist with Catholicism. Most Protestants, however, strongly oppose voodoo.

Source: Haiti basic facts

NotLurking

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Quisqueya said:
Compay Fuego,

I am no way comparing the situation with haitian illegal migrates to dominican illegal migrates in the USA. But lets take Puerto Rico and we basically have the same or even worse situation which is by the way USA. Dominicans have literally invaded PR too the point they are reaping the benefits that was intended for puerto ricans. Walk around San Juan and u would think u were in the DR and in the "campo" its even worse especially Mayaguez. I even saw a huge dominican flag at the restuarant and no PR flag..now that's an invasion...

Again those poor dominicans are terrfying and merging the more african culture into the Puerto Ricans' culture to the point u can't really dicpher the two. Go to PR and u'll see how the hue of the people are much darker now than b4. I guess this one factor dominicans are afraid of poor haitians entering DR. You guys know what u've done in PR. Go to the public housing in Puerto Rico yes they have "projects" like the ones in Newark and most of the people living their are dominican or dominican descent. Some even deny being dominican and claim puerto rican and have the PR accent and are waitning to collect their checks every 15 of the month. Why don't the dominican gov't repatriate their lazy behind and work on the sugar plantations and deport all illegal haitains back to haiti and poof problem solved.

Again you want all illegal haitians out of the DR but what about the illegal dominicans in PR again I'm leaving the mainland(USA) out of this. Besides, dominicans after becoming legal by marrying a passive and gentle puerto rican abandons his new family and come to Nuevo Yolk...which now leave a new family without any foundation which leads to more poverty and backwardness.

Its funny how u talk about we dominicans are tired of illegal haitians but ur not even living in the DR but reaping the benefits of USA (financial aid and likes) which definitely doesn't exist in the DR for its citizens. Until u go along side ur "gente" and walk a mile in their shoes you should not be so quick to judge. After all they are in the same boat as u unfortunately they ended in another 3rd world country just a tad better off then their homeland.

Again we are having good dialog and I would prefer to keep like this so we can both at least make sense to the issues of illegal haitian immigrants in the DR and illegal dominicans in PR.

My friend its easy to point figures meanwhile the other four r pointing at U...the heart of the problem. Again if u want illegal haitains out of the DR u should also what them out of ur town and definitly Puerto Rico...

Quickly, why would you need to take spanish classes to speak better spanish than ur 'gente' isn't the dominican spanish good enough for u. Why not take another language and broaden ur herizon if u already speak the spanish "desde la cuna". Its like me having to come to the usa to perfect my french or creole. Aren't u content with the way ur native people speak?

YOu aced spanish courses in college.. Again wasting tax payers money while some poor american kid goes hungry...

First i have never been to PR and dont know much about living there.I ve only heard things, met, and befriended many people from there.One of the first things i said was that illegal Dominicans in PR should be deported .This is in the best interest of PR , which from what i have read has it has lagged in the growth if its economy and there is a high unemployment rate.When i hear PRs bash Dominicans for invading thier shores i can only agree with them , becuase i, in turn feel thier pain,from what i gathered ,in PR Dominicans do compete with Prs for jobs , thats exactly what they dont need.Im just so amazed at the passive attitudes Pr authorities have paid toward the situation.DR isnt the only country with a corrupt government,many Pr officials profit from this migration(doesnt mean its right).Of course ,as a Dominican ,im not too fond of what they say about us,as you ,as a Haitian ,are not to fond of the stereo types people put on Haitians.Knowing that there are many ignorant people in the world,trying to change each and every persons mind on what they think about Dominicans is pointless(you cant make everybody happy),to a point where i dont even care what they think about us,all i can do is make sure that i grow and work to become better then them and help my community.However,i cant speak on the behalf of all Dominicans,becuase some of them do fit those stereotypes(the negative ones).

As for my spanish,Since i was very young i went to bible studys at a nearby church and it was taught in spanish , here i learned how to read and write in spanish until sophmore year in high school.My spanish was taught at home(only spanish is spoken)and as well growing up around so many spanish speakers , i learned how to speak it in a way where i can change the way i talk depending on who i was speaking to whether it was the pastor , teacher,older family friend, or the guys who hung out on the corner playin dominos ,kids i played soccer with,kids who didnt know english in school.Who said Dominican spanish cant be synonumous with good spanish ? the reason people dont recognize me as Dominican through the way i speak is becuase most other hispanics have this perception that all Dominicans speak bad spanish (many do ,especially the ones with low level education,but the same goes for most other Latin american countries)forgeting the fact that there are many Dominicans who speak proper spanish and can still be recognized as Dominican (e.g Leonel Fernandez),now like i said ,i can change the way i speak depending who i am talking to ,im not going to talk to the pastor or and older person the same way im i talk to my friends.The reason my parents had me learn spanish was to become a well rounded person,as in speaking both languages correctly ,not forgetting where i come from,and to be able to hold an educated conversation in spanish (it looks disgusting when you cant),the same reason why Chinease,Japanese,Korean,Indian,Portuguese,Polish,Philipino,Arab,Russian,Jewish,I think even Haitians ,and so many other ethnic groups,especially recent arrivals,have special weekend schools so thier children can learn thier language better,learn about thier culture and history.

I've done alot to learn other languages.In high school i took 3 years Japanese(i went to one of the few high schools in NJ that taught it).i learned more about reading the hiragana,katakana,(both japanese alphabets)some kangi(chinease characters),nouns and verbs,alot about the japanese culture.Fluent speaking is better attained when living in Japan(dont think i will ever get to that level,).Its been a while though ,i havent done any studying so i've forgptten much of what i learned. I ve currently finished taking Basic Portuguease at school ,in which next year i will take intermediate portuguese.

Maybe you think that financial aid(i get very little of) for students trying to better themselves is a waste of money,but most Americans dont.

Dominican_Titan

May 14, 2004
www.dr1.com
Its About Time!!!!!!!!

i think the Dominican Republic just started to think this thru in the right way. in my opinion its about time they do something about all of this.

SANTIAGO DE LOS CABALLEROS, Santiago (Rep?blica Dominicana).- Las autoridades de la Rep?blica Dominicana comenzar?n en los pr?ximos d?as a controlar la mano de obra haitiana en la industria de la construcci?n, la agropecuaria y otros sectores econ?micos del pa?s.

El director de Migraci?n, Carlos Amarante Baret, inform? que se cre? una comisi?n de car?cter permanente conjuntamente con el Consejo Nacional de la Unidad Sindical, con el prop?sito de "rescatar" estos empleos a favor de los dominicanos.

A juicio del funcionario, la masiva inmigraci?n ilegal de haitianos perjudica a los trabajadores dominicanos.

Subray? que la nueva ley de Emigraci?n es clara y establece sanciones para los empresarios que contraten extranjeros ilegales.

Asegur? que en poco tiempo el presidente dominicano, Leonel Fern?ndez, emitir? el reglamento definitivo que regir? la aplicaci?n de esa ley y que por eso analizan la situaci?n con los sindicatos de trabajadores.

El funcionario reconoci? que en algunos sectores de la econom?a local se necesitan trabajadores haitianos, pero se?al? que esto debe ajustarse a la ley.

Seg?n Baret, en lo que va del a?o la Direcci?n de Migraci?n concedi? carn? de trabajo a 4.000 haitianos para tareas de construcci?n y 14.000 para los ingenios azucareros.

"S? que van a decir que eso es discriminatorio y que es una acci?n anti haitiana, pero esta campa?a que iniciaremos en breve no es en contra de haitianos ni de nadie, sino que es una campa?a que busca favorecer los intereses de la clase obrera dominicana", dijo.

Las autoridades dominicanas cifran en alrededor de un mill?n el n?mero de haitianos que hay en el pa?s, en su mayor?a indocumentados, que trabajan sobre todo en la zafra de az?car y la construcci?n.(EFE).

Que los pa?ses ricos auxilien a los haitianos

SANTIAGO.- El director general de Migraci?n, Carlos Amarante Baret, sugiri? a los Estados Unidos, Canad? y Francia asumir la responsabilidad de darle m?s ayudas a los habitantes de Hait?, porque la Rep?blica Dominicana no puede continuar soportando la carga que significa acoger a cientos de miles de haitianos que viven ilegalmente en el territorio dominicano.

Explic? que una gran parte de los m?s de 250 millones de pesos que el Estado Dominicano destina a la asistencia m?dica, y m?s del diez por ciento del Presupuesto Nacional son usufructuados por los haitianos que viven en la Rep?blica Dominicana.

Asimismo, el funcionario anunci? la reanudaci?n de las repatriaciones de haitianos acogiendo a tratados firmados con Hait?, exhortando a los empresarios y productores agr?colas regularizar el uso de los extranjeros ilegales que incorpore a las labores.

Amarante Baret indic? que la Rep?blica Dominicana no puede continuar erogando sumas millonarias en asistencia social, de salud y trabajo a m?s de un mill?n residentes en el pa?s y que est?n desplazando la mano criolla.

El funcionario dijo que a pesar de las cr?ticas de entidades nacionales, se acoge al tratado firmado con Hait? en el a?o 1998, en torno a las repatriaciones.

Seg?n anunci? en rueda de prensa celebrada en el hotel Gran Almirante, de Santiago, en la que participaron dirigentes de las Juntas de Vecinos, sindicatos de Pintores, de Alba?iles y de la Construcci?n.

En este encuentro se denunci? que m?s de 100 mil de sus afiliados son desplazados por los extranjeros, porque la mano de obra es m?s barata.

Indic? que la presencia de haitianos en las fincas agr?colas, porcicultores, avicultores, proyectos de construcci?n y otros violan el C?digo de Trabajo, cuando dice que el pa?s sede debe invertir el 80 por ciento de su mano de obra y el restante 20 por ciento que sea extranjera, sin embargo, el 95 por
ciento de los trabajos se realizan con la presencia de la mano haitiana.

Critic? el hecho de que los habitantes del vecino pa?s, est?n laborando en el concho, en la industria, venden frutas, comida, jugos, helados y otras dependencias. Si embargo, confirm? que centros tur?sticos y empresas de diferentes ?ndoles utilizan manos extranjeras en sus operaciones, porque son m?s barata y por ?eso la calidad de las obras no tienen la calidad requerida?.

El director general de Migraci?n indic? que ese organismo ?carnetiz? a 4 haitianos que laboran en campos y 12 mil radicados en los ingenios.

Baret, rechaz?, asimismo, que en el actual gobierno exista banda entre instituciones militares, policiales y la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n para el tr?fico de haitiano, aunque si dej? entrever el funcionario, que en la pasada administraci?n pudo ocurrir cualquier anomal?as.

De su lado, Juan Bautista N??ez, presidente del Sindicato de Pintores en Santiago, afirm? que debido a la presencia haitiana, diez mil de sus miembros est?n sin empleos en la actualidad.
Dijo N??ez apoy? la iniciativa de Migraci?n de sacar a los haitianos, como lo establece la ley de Trabajo emitida el 15 de agosto del a?o 2004.

Mientras que el subdirector Regional de Migraci?n, Juan Isidro P?rez, mostr? a Baret documentos falsificados que ten?an los haitianos deportados hace poco.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Summarized story in dr1 daily news, 3 June 2005:

Labor Code to be enforced
Carlos Amarante Baret, general director of the Migration Department, said yesterday in Santiago that the Dominican authorities plan to regulate the use of illegal Haitian labor in farming, construction work and other sectors. He said the government would begin to impose fines on businesses that employ undocumented workers. He was speaking at a press conference in Santiago, and was accompanied by construction union leaders and neighborhood groups that are backing the initiative. Amarante said that the pressure of illegal migration from Haiti is affecting job opportunities for Dominicans. He said that every year over 100,000 Dominicans enter the labor market and cannot find jobs because of the unfair competition of cheap labor from Haiti. "It should not be the case that foreigners make up 95% of the labor force in farms and construction industry," he said.
He said that the abundance of Haitian labor leads to ruthless exploitation, because these workers accept lower wages for the same work, and do not demand social security or legal labor rights.
He said that the Dominican Labor Code stipulates that 80% of the labor employed by companies needs to be Dominican, leaving only 20% for the contracting of foreigners.
"We are saying this publicly so that it cannot be said that the Department of Migration is abusing its power, acting against production, and serving certain interests that often find defenders," he insisted, as reported in the Listin Diario.
He said that the revised Migration Law includes penalties that he said would start to be applied to undocumented labor in the country, whether dark- skinned or blue-eyed.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
sean daniel said:
less than 10%, you say?

Well please enlighten me:

To enlight you.......
Haitians already moved to constructions.

and It it is not that Doiminicans will not do these jobs.
It is just that Haitians work for so cheap that it is no longer an attractive wage in construction for a dominican to raise a decent family.

They have to find other venues that will provide them better wages
even if it means risking their lives in the Mona Passage which in termes then turn around and do exactly what the haitians did to them by making jobs wages unattractive for the nationals.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
So now your blaming haitians for dominicans taking yola to PR or flying on fake visa to Spain, Canada, USA..etc..

Yeah, we are to blame for everything in the DR...what else are haitians to blame for?

You're a joke..if you can not debate and have actual facts..why make your self look like an idiot? Now we are invading this forum...come on!!!!, you sound like a bafoon without a purpose in life......Its easy to stereotype a group without them defending themselves...Now, that I and some other posters confronted you intellectually and made you look like a total idiot your posting rubbish..like a battered child.....

Everyone that disagree with your rubbish you are quickly to call them a haitian even when they flat out told you that they weren't haitian....U are a true dumbinican...

Again no offense to educated and humane dominicans on this forum

Mr_DR said:
To enlight you.......
Haitians already moved to constructions.

and It it is not that Doiminicans will not do these jobs.
It is just that Haitians work for so cheap that it is no longer an attractive wage in construction for a dominican to raise a decent family.

They have to find other venues that will provide them better wages
even if it means risking their lives in the Mona Passage which in termes then turn around and do exactly what the haitians did to them by making jobs wages unattractive for the nationals.

Simbul

May 26, 2005
Fight Back

I am an American that has visited the DR 4 times and cannot wait to get back. I have no prejudices against Haiti, but have followed the events since Aristide was "removed".

Haiti was destabilizing before Arisitide was even reinstated by the US. Growing resentment at continuing poverty, crime, and corruption despite election promises was inevitable. The power seekers, criminals, and regular citizens looking for an opportunity to change their circumstances came with Aristides removal, the army's dissolution, and the inability of a small COWARDLY/CORRUPT/MURDERING police force to enforce laws while breaking them. It only took a few gun-toting people to fire the first shots and the other opportunity seekers quickly joined in.

Excuse me while I go into the delusional state which means I answer myself:

What happened next? The women, children, and men too scared to protect their families, homes, and interests became immediate victims. "Rebels-Gangs" quickly formed their own self-interest organizations along with a few who named themselves "leaders". They filled in a power vacuum that virtually existed before the ousting. They began and still rape, pillage, murder, kidnap, and extort from their own people. How did they get the weapons to enforce their will? Don't blame the US. Blame the "Haitian government". Weak laws, weak enforcement, bribes, forming government sponsored political gangs, etc.....

What does the normal hardworking Haitian farmer/worker do? Why simply leave to a country that has done better and doesn't have the same internal strife that exists in their own land.

Will the problems follow them? Of course, not every refugee is a law-abiding Haitian. Some probably participated in past atrocities and simply will bring along their personalities and behaviour.

Can the relief nation handle the flood? Maybe-Maybe not. What does it matter to the refugees? Nothing.

Can an influx exceeding the relief nations capabilities create a loss of services for the refugees and its own citizens? Common intelligence says so.

Well I don't get it!!! Why don't the ones who want a good country, family, and life FIGHT the rebels/gangs/murderers and support instilling a democratic government for future generations? If criminals can quickly come together to wreck havoc, cannot good people come together to do good?

NOT IF THEY ARE COWARDS.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Simbul,

Myabe we shouldn't judge the displaced Haitians too harshly.. imo they are very much victims of circumstances and lack the power to fight back..

Maybe this is were the UN or a similar organisation is helpful.. crack down on armed gangs to increase safety for normal citizens.. however you will prob see the thugs drop their weapons, resume a 'normal' life and take up arms again when the foreigners leave.. by that time theorethically a police force should be in place to resist them.. we are talking about a long term effort here, which should be suported by the Haitian people, prior to the implementation... this is currently underway but apperently still unsuccesful..

see for a further primer on this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/country_profiles/1202772.stm

Now the situation in Haiti still does not excuse the flooding of the DR with what are in essence refugees.. they are still a burden and drain on DR-resources. Imo the DR has insufficient means to support large-scale immigration by Haitians (or any other group).. as a result there will internal competition for scarce resources, which will lead to friction between the groups.. this is a natural process.. in order to mitigate this effect Haitian refugees should be taken care of on the Haitian part of the island (and yes with support of the international community moneywise and maybe DR people wise).. the territory of the DR is not suitable for mass immigration and thus the illegal immigrants should be sent back to Haiti.. not to die but to help build a better society for themselves and fellow Haitians, for now under the protection of the international community..

sean daniel

May 25, 2005
what?

Are you serious? Perhaps you've previously fallen
off your soap box and received some brain damage.

Simbul said:
I am an American that has visited the DR 4 times and cannot wait to get back. I have no prejudices against Haiti, but have followed the events since Aristide was "removed".

Haiti was destabilizing before Arisitide was even reinstated by the US. Growing resentment at continuing poverty, crime, and corruption despite election promises was inevitable. The power seekers, criminals, and regular citizens looking for an opportunity to change their circumstances came with Aristides removal, the army's dissolution, and the inability of a small COWARDLY/CORRUPT/MURDERING police force to enforce laws while breaking them. It only took a few gun-toting people to fire the first shots and the other opportunity seekers quickly joined in.

Excuse me while I go into the delusional state which means I answer myself:

What happened next? The women, children, and men too scared to protect their families, homes, and interests became immediate victims. "Rebels-Gangs" quickly formed their own self-interest organizations along with a few who named themselves "leaders". They filled in a power vacuum that virtually existed before the ousting. They began and still rape, pillage, murder, kidnap, and extort from their own people. How did they get the weapons to enforce their will? Don't blame the US. Blame the "Haitian government". Weak laws, weak enforcement, bribes, forming government sponsored political gangs, etc.....

What does the normal hardworking Haitian farmer/worker do? Why simply leave to a country that has done better and doesn't have the same internal strife that exists in their own land.

Will the problems follow them? Of course, not every refugee is a law-abiding Haitian. Some probably participated in past atrocities and simply will bring along their personalities and behaviour.

Can the relief nation handle the flood? Maybe-Maybe not. What does it matter to the refugees? Nothing.

Can an influx exceeding the relief nations capabilities create a loss of services for the refugees and its own citizens? Common intelligence says so.

Well I don't get it!!! Why don't the ones who want a good country, family, and life FIGHT the rebels/gangs/murderers and support instilling a democratic government for future generations? If criminals can quickly come together to wreck havoc, cannot good people come together to do good?

NOT IF THEY ARE COWARDS.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
it's all boil's down to one thing...and it will never fail!

just as an observation: Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Mexico just to name a few... and there are clearly other countries guilty of this, are having trouble living with there neighbors because these countries do not take there educational and social development seriously..I bet if all these immigrants crossed the borders with basic knowledge of the english language or a high school diploma or College degree no one would care about this issue, you can be poor and educated at the same time.. it is possible..I mean can you imagine for example: Hi Mr. Johnson this is Jose Reyes he arrived on a floatilla from D.R. yesterday he wants a job here at N.A.S.A because he has a degree in aircraft engineering he speaks some english and he has an outstanding GPA what can we do, Well let's see (ponders Mr.Johnson) we need to fix his legal statis here first then we'll see what we can do for Mr Reyes and by the way you must be very hungry from that long trip at sea, so lunch is on me..ok.. none of these countries are bringing any real production to each other's backyard but low wage job skills, and some with no skills or education at all...should D.R. be concerned about an influx of Haitians migrating in the country..YES they should be...but not for the reasons that they try to sell everyone...if the Dominican gov't spent less time trying to create a a mini-me like New York in D.R. instead invest in programs that can help people help themselves...they would have less of this drama.

the D.R. politicians are also not communicating nor is the president traveling to Haiti to negotiate a resolve for the immigration problem either...these are real people we are talking about with really big problems, there country is in big trouble and unfortunately you are there neighbor..so ok you sent back
3,500 the other day what did that solve? nothing!!! you still have 496,500 to go.... your wasting to much precious energy on hate and not spending nearly enough time trying to enroll these humble desperate haitians in quality schools..so they in return become productive and blend in to Dominican socialty... but it seems D.R. is not up to the challenge.. finally somebody is leaning on you for help, and you pay back with neglect...if there is any religion in you... have some patience and understanding with these people who are down!! they are not there to kill you or steal your (jeepetas) I mean God forbid that you wake up one day and the Daily News reads gov't signs a bill that for every Dominican that commits a felony 4000 will be re-patriated back to the island regardless of there legal statis! that practice is conter-productive, down right irresponsible, and non democratic..Mr Fernandez needs to remember who he goes begging to when he needs help to open new opportunities for you people...but some of you here are so ungrateful and selfish, and when it's time for you to give back! you issue more excuses then solutions, the world is not only about helping Dominican's, it's about helping those in need and do the best you can for them, if Haitian's are un-successful in your community as a whole, maybe it's about you and not them.

sean daniel

May 25, 2005
Wow

Sometimes a voice of reason
is like a breath of fresh air.

Good job

daddy1 said:
just as an observation: Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Mexico just to name a few... and there are clearly other countries guilty of this, are having trouble living with there neighbors because these countries do not take there educational and social development seriously..I bet if all these immigrants crossed the borders with basic knowledge of the english language or a high school diploma or College degree no one would care about this issue, you can be poor and educated at the same time.. it is possible..I mean can you imagine for example: Hi Mr. Johnson this is Jose Reyes he arrived on a floatilla from D.R. yesterday he wants a job here at N.A.S.A because he has a degree in aircraft engineering he speaks some english and he has an outstanding GPA what can we do, Well let's see (ponders Mr.Johnson) we need to fix his legal statis here first then we'll see what we can do for Mr Reyes and by the way you must be very hungry from that long trip at sea, so lunch is on me..ok.. none of these countries are bringing any real production to each other's backyard but low wage job skills, and some with no skills or education at all...should D.R. be concerned about an influx of Haitians migrating in the country..YES they should be...but not for the reasons that they try to sell everyone...if the Dominican gov't spent less time trying to create a a mini-me like New York in D.R. instead invest in programs that can help people help themselves...they would have less of this drama.

the D.R. politicians are also not communicating nor is the president traveling to Haiti to negotiate a resolve for the immigration problem either...these are real people we are talking about with really big problems, there country is in big trouble and unfortunately you are there neighbor..so ok you sent back
3,500 the other day what did that solve? nothing!!! you still have 496,500 to go.... your wasting to much precious energy on hate and not spending nearly enough time trying to enroll these humble desperate haitians in quality schools..so they in return become productive and blend in to Dominican socialty... but it seems D.R. is not up to the challenge.. finally somebody is leaning on you for help, and you pay back with neglect...if there is any religion in you... have some patience and understanding with these people who are down!! they are not there to kill you or steal your (jeepetas) I mean God forbid that you wake up one day and the Daily News reads gov't signs a bill that for every Dominican that commits a felony 4000 will be re-patriated back to the island regardless of there legal statis! that practice is conter-productive, down right irresponsible, and non democratic..Mr Fernandez needs to remember who he goes begging to when he needs help to open new opportunities for you people...but some of you here are so ungrateful and selfish, and when it's time for you to give back! you issue more excuses then solutions, the world is not only about helping Dominican's, it's about helping those in need and do the best you can for them, if Haitian's are un-successful in your community as a whole, maybe it's about you and not them.