Haiti recalling Ambassador from DR

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Germans did take away German citizenship from the Jews.

Actually, the Nazis took away citizenship from Jews who had been part of the country for decades. That's why the Dominican government is risking international censure.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The only reason why DR is "carrying Haiti" over its shoulder is because employers can't and won't deduct taxes from their salaries, because they are not legal. And there are way more informal dominican workers than there are haitians. So the problem seems to be somewhere else.
Furthermore, international community contributes much more to Haiti than DR does. And DR receives a lot, too.

Any way you look at it, DR is going to be in the losing end here. How much are we going to pay for it depends on how lobg it takes DR to do the right thing

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
In fact, I have had some acquaintances working on the PNUD (the UN office here) tell me that some personnel from NGO's based here (like Oxfam international) have told them "off the microphone" that they wish for the DR to take the overlordship of Haitian matters for twenty years (at the very least), at least until they are on their feet to function as an individual entity again.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Furthermore, international community contributes much more to Haiti than DR does. And DR receives a lot, too.

Excuse me if I take this claim as I would a grain of salt, specially since the Haitian gov. is always complaining about intl. entities withholding funds. And they aren't the only ones claiming/complaining about this.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
The only reason why DR is "carrying Haiti" over its shoulder is because employers can't and won't deduct taxes from their salaries, because they are not legal. And there are way more informal dominican workers than there are haitians.

Castle,

What is your idea of a solution if I can rent that word?

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Gwozozo,

I was contemplating not to comment on this thread again because I've read so much and heard so much. I know that you're posting in the capacity of a civilian and not as an official in government. The dilemma is that the Dominicans aren't willing to concede and naturalize these people. Whether or not you believe it or not, these people are perceived as being Haitians whether or not they were born on the DR side of the border.

There's nothing stopping the Dominican officials to just rounding them up and transporting them to the border. They would only suffer the ire of the international communities, which wouldn't be the first time at all.

Those Dom/Haitians are part of the diaspora - like those you mentioned in USA and Canada. They send remittances back to Haiti just like the others to support their families. I am not in any way suggesting their remittances even comes close to those of the aforementioned countries.

Saying those compatriots aren't on the radar speaks volumes and I hope this is a selfishly held pronouncement, and not one that is generally shared in places of government.

These are people, according to you, rejected by their compatriots and also by Dominicans. God help them!

P.S.
If you get a chance, google the crisis between Rwanda and Tanzania in regards to deportation.

I hear you delite.

But what dominicans perceive them to be is an issue for dominicans to deal with.

We can't tell dominicans who should be a dominican citizen and they can't tell us who should be a Haitian citizen.

Yes they can transport them to the border but they can't force them into Haiti.....Trust me on that one....Haiti may not be able to act but the International will.

These people are not rejected by us......these people choose to assume a full dominican identity......they are rejected by their fellow dominicans.

And yes unfortunately they are not on the radar...because most haitians don't see them as having anything to contribute...unlike the English speaking / french speaking diaspora...educated and trained in advanced countries.

It's not fair..but it is what it is.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I hear you delite.

But what dominicans perceive them to be is an issue for dominicans to deal with.

We can't tell dominicans who should be a dominican citizen and they can't tell us who should be a Haitian citizen.

Yes they can transport them to the border but they can't force them into Haiti.....Trust me on that one....Haiti may not be able to act but the International will.

These people are not rejected by us......these people choose to assume a full dominican identity......they are rejected by their fellow dominicans.

And yes unfortunately they are not on the radar...because most haitians don't see them as having anything to contribute...unlike the English speaking / french speaking diaspora...educated and trained in advanced countries.

It's not fair..but it is what it is.

Gwozozo:

Well I'll be damned! At least you're honest and consistent. No one can accuse you of vacillating on this topic.

Take a look at the reference I recommended. This is happening and the international community are silent. These countries are also growing at around 7% and more per annum.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Castle,

What is your idea of a solution if I can rent that word?

To this crisis or to the situation in general?

To this crisis, that sentence must be revoked inmediately to avoid international consequences.
The situation in general is more complex. DR can't even solve its own problems, nor can Haiti. DR must do its homework and do what all countries do to control ilegal immigration: border control and reduxe the source of employments for illegsl aliens. Thinking that laws and court sentences are going to solve anything is childish.
In the mean time, nothing will change.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
In fact, I have had some acquaintances working on the PNUD (the UN office here) tell me that some personnel from NGO's based here (like Oxfam international) have told them "off the microphone" that they wish for the DR to take the overlordship of Haitian matters for twenty years (at the very least), at least until they are on their feet to function as an individual entity again.

Ha ha ha...let them keep wishing...lol

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
And DR receives a lot, too.

Besides, noting the fact that the DR is (at least nominally) a medium income country, the DR was taken away from the group of countries that receive heavy funding due to poverty issues during LF's admin, you might as well rethink that "receives a lot" claim as far as this country is concerned.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Besides, noting the fact that the DR is (at least nominally) a medium income country, the DR was taken away from the group of countries that receive heavy funding due to poverty issues during LF's admin, so you might rethink that "receives a lot" claim as far as this country is concerned.

Practically the whole health system runs on international donations by rhe European Union, USAID and Japan.
Education is heavily subsidized by the European Union, specially higher education. The community college project is all european money.
AIDS control donations come from all over the world, for obvious reasons. Should I go on?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
And oil comes from Venzuela. Can I add that DR ia the only country that has never paid Petrocaribe a dime?

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Gwozozo:

Well I'll be damned! At least you're honest and consistent. No one can accuse you of vacillating on this topic.

Take a look at the reference I recommended. This is happening and the international community are silent. These countries are also growing at around 7% and more per annum.

The deportations in east africa have to do with illegal immigrants......unlike this issue of people born in DR having citizenship revoked. Yes??? No???

As for growth, Haiti will not grow if it does not distance itself economically from DR.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Practically the whole health system runs on international donations by rhe European Union, USAID and Japan.
Education is heavily subsidized by the European Union, specially higher education. The community college project is all european money.
AIDS control donations come from all over the world, for obvious reasons. Should I go on?

0.4% of the GNP hardly makes it "a lot".

Ayuda Oficial al Desarrollo (ODA) neta recibida (% del INB)

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
The deportations in east africa have to do with illegal immigrants......unlike this issue of people born in DR having citizenship revoked. Yes??? No???

As for growth, Haiti will not grow if it does not distance itself economically from DR.

Probably you didn't read it through. Among the thousands deported, were Tanzanians born to Rwandan parents. I point this to you because when I read about it a few months ago, I immediately thought about this conflict.

I disagree with your last line because that's impossible to happen based on obvious circumstances. You should concede that declaration and focus on viable constructive solutions. :)

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
You are looking at numbers from the world bank. That is only one of tens of international organizations. And world bank doesn:t even donate, it only issues loans.

Dude, you're reaching if you claim that even 25% (at a maximum) of the budget here depends on that. Specially since the claim from that data is for it (aid of whatever type) to have been decreasing, when a comparison is made with previous decades.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Dude, you're reaching if you claim that even 25% (at a maximum) of the budget here depends on that.

Ok, I'll see if I can get MSP's budget for 2014. I won't be able to publish it here, of course, but I'll try to get the distribution of the sources of funds.
You'll be surprised.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Glass ceiling..throwing stones...pay what? Do you have any idea of how much money DR receives in the form of international donations? Take half of those donations away (including Petrocaribe, which is effectively a gift) and dominicans could be looking for work in Haiti soon.

Including yourself! So get ready!:classic: