Haitian 2021 Earthquake & Response

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Neither I nor my wife felt that 7.2 Haitian earthquake here in Cabarete. We must have been at a null point somehow.

My wife (being from here) knows and senses how tiny earthquakes feel, I don't... Whenever we have had a quake here (me being here), I have just felt strange from the head not knowing that it's an earthquake.... Now, I also felt dizzy and odd, but the only reason I realized something is not right was that sitting in the kitchen table, the ceiling lamp was moving around alone... Then I looked outside of the window and saw water coming out of the pool.... Before checking outside my wife alerted me and went on to check the sleeping kids that they are okay...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My wife (being from here) knows and senses how tiny earthquakes feel, I don't... Whenever we have had a quake here (me being here), I have just felt strange from the head not knowing that it's an earthquake.... Now, I also felt dizzy and odd, but the only reason I realized something is not right was that sitting in the kitchen table, the ceiling lamp was moving around alone... Then I looked outside of the window and saw water coming out of the pool.... Before checking outside my wife alerted me and went on to check the sleeping kids that they are okay...
My wife, also from here, did not feel anything. Nor did they feel anything in Encuentro from what I am reading on local posts. The area west of Kite Beach where we are both located must not have shook much at all. What I call a null point in the vibrations. What area are you in?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The 2010 earthquake was a 7.0 so if this one hit a populated are it could be devastating to Haiti.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
"A USGS tool to estimate impacts immediately after earthquakes put the chances of a death toll of at least 1,000 at 77%, with a 42% chance of 10,000 deaths or more and a 13% chance of at least 100,000 deaths."

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Photos are starting to appear on Facebook, piles of rubble. Haiti can’t catch a break.
Hit with a tropical storm, now an earthquake, and now another tropical storm on the horizon one right after the other. Incredibly bad misfortune.

• Sad
Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Perhaps they would have better fortune if they started behaving like civilized people.
Behaving "civilized" would have zero effect on earthquakes or tropical storms hitting Haiti. You seem to be superstitious in some way to even suggest such silly things as being possible.

Using re-bar and better construction techniques? That would help. When you have nothing, you use what you can and suffer the consequences.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
No, but maybe they could start using construction methods that are intended for earthquake prone areas?
I mean c'mon, the Presidential palace crumbled last time. In that sense, they are responsible for a lot of their own misery.
Doubt it would make much difference.
Sand shifts easy. It's real shamed they was too spooked to cook with gas.

Reactions: Big

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Behaving "civilized" would have zero effect on earthquakes or tropical storms hitting Haiti. You seem to be superstitious in some way to even suggest such silly things as being possible.
A bit of a hellmary play I know but those losers have completely ecudkf up half of this island and I have zero sympathy for them at this point.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Wow, so now, people themselves are blamed for natural catastrophic events happening ?????

These type of posts is exactly why I am going to stop posting/reading on DR1. The lack of humanity, open prejudice from the core posters outweighs the useful info received. Sad.

Peace !

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wow, so now, people themselves are blamed for natural catastrophic events happening ?????

These type of posts is exactly why I am going to stop posting/reading on DR1. The lack of humanity, open prejudice from the core posters outweighs the useful info received. Sad.

Peace !
Yep, it is sad it is to suggest that someone can bring the results of natural events like earthquakes upon themselves. Simple ignorance causes people to make such ridiculous suggestions.

SCristo

So it goes
Aug 10, 2020
Bronx NY

Peace !
Absolutely. Flucking pathetic

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
My wife, also from here, did not feel anything. Nor did they feel anything in Encuentro from what I am reading on local posts. The area west of Kite Beach where we are both located must not have shook much at all. What I call a null point in the vibrations. What area are you in?
We're just about 5 minutes from POP city center... I have never felt an earthquake more than I did today...

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Peace !

Keep Calm and take a deep breathe.
It's going to be ok.
I have a lot of respect for mother nature
and the beauty she has blessed all of us
with.
I have zero respect for the folks who
work so tirelessly to destroy it.

Going forward I'll be sure to tiptoe around these sensitive issues whenever the topic leans towards the poor little Hatians.
We are all victims.
We all deserve better and an the end...
everyone, no matter how much damage they have done to this island, should all receive a trophy.
#haitianlivesmatter
#weareallvictims
#keepcalmandtakeadeepbreath
#pleasedontleaveus

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

Peace !
Couldn't agree with you more. An incredible waste of time and energy of the mind. Always SMH at the never ending shamefulness of people that are guests here in the DR.