haitians constitute nearly 87% of all foreigners in DR

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Yep. We are not true Ricans in their eyes. I will be there in 2 weeks. I will update.

Make a search in all Puerto Rican news paper when there is a news about dominicans and read all the comments, my cousins were living in Puerto Rico for 5 years and they told me the reality of Dominicans Ilegals there, also they told me that at the university her friends was surpriced when they told them they are Dominicans. They moved there legally so they didnt had never problems and they knew a lot dominicans ilegals.

That is why i says better be legal because doesnt matter where you go, if you are ilegal will be the same. No body wants ilegals in their countries. Ask Peru, Brasil and Ecuador about Haitians, are clousing borders, and sending back to Santo Domingo from Ecuador, they travel legally but when arrive there do not let them in.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I'll admit ignorance of what island Boricuas say about Dominicans. All I've ever heard from some that visited the US was that they loved the Dominican cuisine the illegals bring with them.

Bronxie is right regarding their views. For them, to be a "true" Rican, one not only needs to have been born in the island from Rican lineages, but also needs to speak Spanish the Rican way and live and breath the culture every day.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I'll admit ignorance of what island Boricuas say about Dominicans. All I've ever heard from some that visited the US was that they loved the Dominican cuisine the illegals bring with them.

That told you some one that is part of the minority that love Dominicans, same thing happend here not all Dominicans hate haitians

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I've been around Boricuas and Dominicans since I was a teen and I never heard the former refer to the latter as cockroaches.

Where have you heard Dominicans referring to Haitians as cockroaches? I do recall
in one of your posts where you said you read a Dominican referring to Haitains as an
infestation of cockroaches. This is not to say that the majority of Dominicans think
that way. I as a Dominican have never heard it.

Some people need to stop referring to an isolated incident as if it's common because
it's not true.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's the first for me as well. i heard dominicas calling haitians bruto but that's about it.

and yes, AE, i think the real number is unknown. miesposo travel a lot around DR and he says some areas in the provinces closest to haiti are full of immigrants. how does he know, you shall ask bitterly? because he talks to his suppliers, he sees who is employed in the business and he inquires about the situation.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Every time I pass by a corner on White Plains where a bunch of El Salvadorians and Mexicans wait to be picked up as day laborers,
I cant help but think that I can be part of that group one day looking for work. That's how bad the job market is in NY.

That's a lie! Most, if not all of those migrant workers, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Long Island) are illegal and seeking construction work. Are you illegal and seeking short term work?

I live in New York...just keeping them honest.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
So, let's see. The vast majority of haitians here come to work. So they work, maybe illegally. But when they buy food they pay taxes, when they make a phone call they pay taxes, when they buy anything, they pay taxes. So what's wrong with them using the same public services dominicans use, when the funds to keep the hospital running comes from taxes?

Oh, I see, because this is YOUR country. So why do most of you want to leave?. "Ni lavan ni prestan la batea"?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's a lie! Most, if not all of those migrant workers, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Long Island) are illegal and seeking construction work. Are you illegal and seeking short term work?

I live in New York...just keeping them honest.

Back on topic please.

And if I needed a job badly enough, I'd take short term work anywhere. As would most people, I think.

You're not the only NYer here, there are a LOT of us.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So, let's see. The vast majority of haitians here come to work. So they work, maybe illegally. But when they buy food they pay taxes, when they make a phone call they pay taxes, when they buy anything, they pay taxes. So what's wrong with them using the same public services dominicans use, when the funds to keep the hospital running comes from taxes?

Oh, I see, because this is YOUR country. So why do most of you want to leave?. "Ni lavan ni prestan la batea"?

Nobody pays taxes when they buy from a fruitera and that's where the vast majority of Haitians buy their food.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Where have you heard Dominicans referring to Haitians as cockroaches? I do recall
in one of your posts where you said you read a Dominican referring to Haitains as an
infestation of cockroaches. This is not to say that the majority of Dominicans think
that way. I as a Dominican have never heard it.

Some people need to stop referring to an isolated incident as if it's common because
it's not true.

Pollo needs his victims.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I personally believe that there are too many Haitians in the DR. I don't know if the officials condone this realism or not, but I really don't think that enough is being done to curb or reduce this growth phenomena.

Yes, they're culprits like business owners who employ their labor, CesFront guards who take bribes, and regular citizens participating in human trafficking, but the latter could be reduced significantly by the government with stronger enforcement. I mentioned on a previous thread that the DR needs to engage the Haitians more equally in terms of trade. I know they don't have much, but the little they possess could be strengthened. The Haitians, like most refugees, are seeking what isn't a available in their homeland.

With serious economic woes worldwide, foreigners will always be persecuted or use as a scapegoat whether justified or not.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Nobody pays taxes when they buy from a fruitera and that's where the vast majority of Haitians buy their food.

Really? The consumer pays the tax somehow included in the price, the frutero doesn't report the tax on HIS earnings, and that's a different matter.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
The vast majority of Haitians in the DR do come to work but illegally. What's wrong with them
using the same public services as Dominicans? Because the vast majority are using it
and are not paying for the services. They just cross over(the border to give birth).

The DR cannot advance in many ways because it also provides for the Haitians.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The vast majority of Haitians in the DR do come to work but illegally. What's wrong with them
using the same public services as Dominicans you say? Because the vast majority are using it
and are not paying for the services. They just cross over(the border to give birth).

You mean dominicans pay for the services and haitians don't? how so?
Did you know over 40% of dominicans hold informal jobs?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude. But I do think one thing dominicans have no right to do is reject inmigration. They lost that right decades ago.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

He mean public services in the Dominican Hospitals, every body knows that haitians get free service in public hospitals, every single country in the world do not have free service in hospitals for turist or ilegals. They get the services but some body else has to pay for that.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude. But I do think one thing dominicans have no right to do is reject inmigration. They lost that right decades ago.

Do you know that the gov't spends billions of pesos in clinical care (births) and vaccines to Haitians?

Dominicans have every right to reject immigration. They just need to close the friggin border.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Back on topic please.

And if I needed a job badly enough, I'd take short term work anywhere. As would most people, I think.

You're not the only NYer here, there are a LOT of us.

I would take the job too but that wasn't the objective of my post. It was the picture being painted about the New York job market. Why am I being told to stay on topic when BB spoke about things New York? Oh, maybe because I am not a moderator I guess.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I would take the job too but that wasn't the objective of my post. It was the picture being painted about the New York job market. Why am I being told to stay on topic when BB spoke about things New York? Oh, maybe because I am not a moderator I guess.

True. I took it off topic and I should not have off.

Since I do not live in DR, I am trying to use NY as an example of the migrants. I am not an undocumented worker. lol

The job market, in my line of work, is a disaster. As I pass by that corner everyday on my way to work, I see those gents and hope I will never see myself standing with them. Hey, you never know. never....................

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Do you know that the gov't spends billions of pesos in clinical care (births) and vaccines to Haitians?

Dominicans have every right to reject immigration. They just need to close the friggin border.

The first rule to earn the right to reject inmigration is to stop being a country of migrants. Otherwise, it's like rejecting yourself. Idon't see anyone in DR rejecting aunt Tatica, who is an inmigrant in the US. Or cousing Luis, who is an inmigrant in Spain. They seem to not be bothered by those inmigrants. So why those other inmigrants (haitians) bother them?.
I've never heard anyone complain about other inmigrants, just about the haitians, and I hate the fact that I know it is because of their color. I know this is not a topic allowed in DR1, but I think we can't ignore that fact if we're going to discuss haitian inmigration.
Sorry, bronzie., but do you know how much dominican inmigrants all over the world cost to their host countries?. I'll say it again, let's call it even and move on. Dominicans just can't win this debate, and they are better off not making too much noise about it.