Haiti's earthquake - Impact on the DR?

May 5, 2007
Pretty amazing, Vinson has already off loaded ALL of her supplies and is being re upped from PR, quick action

Apparently the 53's are covering the entire country and making drops in remote areas that have yet to be reached by aid workers

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
quote:

" Do you have any idea the logistics of unloading a C 5 or C 17? I didn't think so."

Up to now, I am amazed at the military people on the ground at the PAP airport. While they sit with their thumbs up their axxes waiting for a $200k loader that can unload their specially packed planes, there are THOUSANDS of willing young Haitian guys on the streets outside with nothing to do, and millions without water or food.

Why in the heck haven't they recruited 100 of these young guys to form a fire brigade line, break the bundles inside the planes, and pass the packages out to waiting trucks??? 10 Air Force guys with automatic weapons can make sure nobody carts off stuff, if that ?s what they are waiting for-----low tech trumps high tech in an emergency.

(sorry - just spouting off after too many years in logistics work)

And regarding the buckled roads from the airport, just remembering a crew of Haitians in Santo Domingo digging and refilling trenches in the streets for the telephone company working faster than any mechanical trenchers could have done, and with only two guys standing on the sidelines watching . Surely, the Air Force packed in a few picks and shovels, right?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
quote:

" Do you have any idea the logistics of unloading a C 5 or C 17? I didn't think so."

Up to now, I am amazed at the military people on the ground at the PAP airport. While they sit with their thumbs up their axxes waiting for a $200k loader that can unload their specially packed planes, there are THOUSANDS of willing young Haitian guys on the streets outside with nothing to do, and millions without water or food.

Why in the heck haven't they recruited 100 of these young guys to form a fire brigade line, break the bundles inside the planes, and pass the packages out to waiting trucks??? 10 Air Force guys with automatic weapons can make sure nobody carts off stuff, if that ?s what they are waiting for-----low tech trumps high tech in an emergency.

(sorry - just spouting off after too many years in logistics work)

Obviously, form the safety of Puerto Plata, I can't see what you seem able to observe, so I am left with no more than to understand your desperation.
However, I would still dare to ask if it could not be that the US Army forces are advised NOT to give locals ANY access to planes and merchandise for the risk of riots and gangs trying to take over the commerce of aid supplies (pictures from Darfour come to mind)?

Personally, I don't think it is yet the time to criticize too harshly those who are trying to help in that difficult environment.

Anyways, this thread is slowly shifting away from it's original subject, so, may I suggest, that now that "we" have sorted out RaceX's... erm... well, lets call them "objections", we'd go back to discuss or share our thoughts about the potential impacts on the DR of these disaster?

... J-D.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Who is Voodoo Hex? Does he have a right wing talk show also?

Never watched a right wing show- what's right wing? The DR if done right can come off looking very good from a PR point of view. After all the bad press about DR mistreating Haitians(illegal ones anyways) this outpouring of good will can only help. Many of these aid groups will be in the DR and Haiti for years to come and most of their R & R time will BE in the DR.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My apologies, I not only "should" know better but I do and will cease the bickering

I appreciate you offering a forum to express our views, beliefs and comments
It's painfully obvious that some folks don't know your background.

Thanks-again-for some real insight into what's going on.

Reactions: IslandDreaming
Jan 3, 2003
Change!

DR is in no way obligated to take foreign refugees in. Please look to the lessons of Katrina and the states that took in refugees from New Orleans.
Very few tried to go back to N.O to rebuild. What happened to crime stats in those states? Anyone want to take a look? These were American citizens, in their own country! Can you imagine what how that could play out for DR with Haitian refugees?

I think its insane to consider this.

No one here is more xenophobic and nationalist than myself. If I can change after seeing the scope and magnitude of human suffering and misery as a result of this, then so can you.

I just saw a CNN report on one little 11 year old Haitian girl who was saved yet died because medical attention was lacking. She died slowly begging not to die to no avail.

If the tables were turned, we would want the same.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
The hospitals of the DR are going to be over burdened following this disaster...they should really start thinking about sending people to Guantonomo Bay in Cuba..

Jan 3, 2003
Annie, dont confuse military aid with humanitarian aid. For every $1 the US gives in AID they give multiples in military assistance. You ll notice you ll never hear the phrase humanitarian industial complex, like you hear the military industrial complex.
If you can check out Naomi Klein's book the Shock Doctrine, describes in detail how the strife is a for profit business principle.

Racer X, I can see your logic and agree on most points BUT politics is an article of faith.

So, why argue over it?

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The hospitals of the DR are going to be over burdened following this disaster...they should really start thinking about sending people to Guantonomo Bay in Cuba..

They are already doing that. Maybe they should sending them to the Cuban Hospital( state of the Art that they are) This is unbelievably sad.

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
They are also being sent to the US. The right thing to do should not know politics as profiteers proliferate.

Reactions: mike l

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Images of multiple Dominican mobile food trucks distributing hot meals around P-au-P, ...

capt.0cc5cfcb89ee4541a7542e6887309f1d.haiti_earthquake_xgb103.jpg

People line up to receive aid arrived from the Dominican Republic in Port-au-Prince, Friday, Jan. 15, 2010. A 7.0-magnitude earthquake struck Haiti Tuesday. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

CNN Video - Anderson Cooper reports on food distribution in Cite de Soleil

MSNBC Video - Locrio Dstribution

(you can tell they're Dominican food truck by the "E Pa Lante Que Vamos" on the upper right corner of each truck)

Reactions: mike l
May 29, 2006
What is truly tragic is that Haiti was more food secure under the Duvalier regime than it has been for the last 20 years. People seem to delight in saying their problems are because they are a backwards pagan culture. They are no more "pagan" or "backwards" than many regions of South America but they have had their entire agriculture and economy ruined by US trade policies and the massacre of the creole pig back in the 70s. It was food insecurity that led to the downfall of the Duvaliers and things have not improved much since then.

ginjer29

Jan 14, 2010
No one here is more xenophobic and nationalist than myself. If I can change after seeing the scope and magnitude of human suffering and misery as a result of this, then so can you.

I just saw a CNN report on one little 11 year old Haitian girl who was saved yet died because medical attention was lacking. She died slowly begging not to die to no avail.

If the tables were turned, we would want the same.

I believe aid should be given freely and within one's capacity to do so. Of course, I would want to be helped in the same situation and would want no less for the people of Haiti, in their own country. Temporarily bringing people in for medical assistance should also be done. I am proud of the actions taken by DR in response to this and I applaud the efforts of all in helping out in a desperate time of need.

However,t seems to me an influx would spread the problem out over 2 countries which would only make it harder for more people. There is aid and help coming in from all over the world. Haiti can come back from this and given the world wide press on it, could even come out better off than they were before the earthquake. DR can continue to help as it has been. Remember, that the monies coming in are for Haiti, not for Haitians going to other countries. Once in DR, DR takes on the financial obligation to them. This is in addition to the aid already given by the government and any private contributions. It is indefinite aid and unless things have changed drastically in DR, I do not believe DR can manage their own needs effectively enough yet to commit to this. Great progress has been made in DR. There's still some way to go. DR needs to continue to push forward and this would result in some steps backward. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, isn't it?

That sir, is not xenophobia. It's realistic view of the situation. The people of Florida are looking long and hard at this today since we have been committed to taking in thousands of refugees from Haiti. We are constantly adding to our population with illegal immigrants from all over as it is. Our school system is overburdened and underfunded. Florida has been obligated to take these people in with NOT A WORD as to how this is going to get paid for. We know the money will eventually have to come state funds and it's hard to do that when you're essentially adding to your population and not necessarily to tax revenues. It is one thing to help someone else out and it is quite another to overextend oneself to the point where you're both in trouble. No one is served this way.

Sorry to rant. I feel very strongly about this and I see nothing but chaos coming out of this for Florida and DR if it is allowed to happen there.