Haiti's earthquake - Impact on the DR?

May 5, 2007
My opinions are based only on reading History, observations while in the DR and "web information"

I think what we are seeing is a new generation of Dominicans, ones not mired in the old hate and prejudices of "hating Haiti," a new generation willing and realizing that not only are their neighbors simply human beings such as themselves, but the welfare of Haiti is intertwined with that of the DR

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
My opinions are based only on reading History, observations while in the DR and "web information"

I think what we are seeing is a new generation of Dominicans, ones not mired in the old hate and prejudices of "hating Haiti," a new generation willing and realizing that not only are their neighbors simply human beings such as themselves, but the welfare of Haiti is intertwined with that of the DR

The majority of the help going from the DR are from people who hated the Haitians in the first place, the so bashed Viccini Family is the DR's private entity who has donated more to date with an immediate aid of US$1MM and more US$5MM in metal infrastructure and future development.

I know I'm going to get bashed for this but I believe the Catholic upbringing and values of most Dominicans is what is fueling this outstanding help to the Haitians from the DR.

Reactions: Celt202

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

I've had the pleasurable surprise to witness something yesterday evening at an upper middle class rancho tipico (on POP's Luis Ginebra, opposite to Bayardo's main entrance), which I think would collaborate ID's above post:
They had some dancing and karaoke competitions during the whole evening as a fundraiser for help for Haiti, prizes where converted into a donation pot.
Yes, where ever one goes, people "feel" for their neighbors. But on the other hand, it think that most intend to keep them as neighbors only.

... J-D.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
...I believe the Catholic upbringing and values of most Dominicans is what is fueling this outstanding help to the Haitians from the DR.
I agree... (I would extend the upbringing to all Christians in general...)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I believe aid should be given freely and within one's capacity to do so. Of course, I would want to be helped in the same situation and would want no less for the people of Haiti, in their own country. Temporarily bringing people in for medical assistance should also be done. I am proud of the actions taken by DR in response to this and I applaud the efforts of all in helping out in a desperate time of need.

However,t seems to me an influx would spread the problem out over 2 countries which would only make it harder for more people. There is aid and help coming in from all over the world. Haiti can come back from this and given the world wide press on it, could even come out better off than they were before the earthquake. DR can continue to help as it has been. Remember, that the monies coming in are for Haiti, not for Haitians going to other countries. Once in DR, DR takes on the financial obligation to them. This is in addition to the aid already given by the government and any private contributions. It is indefinite aid and unless things have changed drastically in DR, I do not believe DR can manage their own needs effectively enough yet to commit to this. Great progress has been made in DR. There's still some way to go. DR needs to continue to push forward and this would result in some steps backward. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, isn't it?

That sir, is not xenophobia. It's realistic view of the situation. The people of Florida are looking long and hard at this today since we have been committed to taking in thousands of refugees from Haiti. We are constantly adding to our population with illegal immigrants from all over as it is. Our school system is overburdened and underfunded. Florida has been obligated to take these people in with NOT A WORD as to how this is going to get paid for. We know the money will eventually have to come state funds and it's hard to do that when you're essentially adding to your population and not necessarily to tax revenues. It is one thing to help someone else out and it is quite another to overextend oneself to the point where you're both in trouble. No one is served this way.

Sorry to rant. I feel very strongly about this and I see nothing but chaos coming out of this for Florida and DR if it is allowed to happen there.

Seeing people far away in Florida whining and complaining while we in the DR a way poorer country are eagerly willing to help and even accepting the fact that if needed we will have to accept a number of refugees in the DR we will so without thinking twice makes me want to throw up.

Instead of being worry about the Haitians you are worried about your comfort zone in the beaches of Miami, give me a ****ing break. Stop being so selfish please.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

What's coming to light is quite simple, its now obvious to MANY foreigners that Dominicans don't really hate Haitians. We're simply concerned for our country's economic well being in the future and frustrated at Haiti's inability to get on the developing train, and sometimes that comes through as harsh criticisms towards Haiti and Haitians.

But, I'm even noticing that before I used to tell people that we are simply concerned for our country's well being and frustrated at Haiti's inability, and people would always doubt and think that the real reason was hatred. And most Dominicans have always been aware that foreigners would have that mistrust towards Dominicans whenever they ask us a question about this and we give them an answer that never mentioned hate, just the economic well being of our country. Dominicans always noticed the unfair treatment Dominicans would get in this discussion, while everyone else would be given the benefit of the doubt and this caused even more tensions. Right now, we Dominicans don't feel the anti-Dominican vibe. I think the world has now gotten a better understanding of what we, as Dominican, truly feel concerning Haiti, illegal immigrants in our country, and the future of both countries.

Now, will this last? Will foreigners finally truly listen to Dominicans and see that we are simply concerned for our country's future and frustrated at Haiti's failures? I don't know the answer to that. One of the government officials already sent a letter to a newspaper in Europe because anti-dominican groups have already published articles claiming that Dominican authorities were prohibiting the flow of aid to Haiti through the border. Aside from that being an outright lie on their part, they never mentioned all the things the DR and Dominicans has been doing to help Haiti.

The anti-Dominican groups don't take a break, not even in times like this!

Diplom?tico advierte plan de descr?dito contra RD

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
NAL's, it's easier to accuse someone of racism than address the real problems that exist. This is true all over the world.

I know no Dominicans who "hate" Haitians. I know many who are concerned they will end up economically supporting Haitians when they can barely support themselves.

ginjer29

Jan 14, 2010
Seeing people far away in Florida whining and complaining while we in the DR a way poorer country are eagerly willing to help and even accepting the fact that if needed we will have to accept a number of refugees in the DR we will so without thinking twice makes me want to throw up.

Instead of being worry about the Haitians you are worried about your comfort zone in the beaches of Miami, give me a ****ing break. Stop being so selfish please.

I hope you're feeling better soon. Try some Pepto for that stomach problem.

I have enough family in DR not too feel quite so removed from it despite the distance.

DR may be willing but is it able? While the US may be better off than DR the fact still remains that there is an economic crisis that has not gone away. One so severe that it is being compared to The Great Depression. The US will be at almost 20% unemployment in some states very soon and it's showing no signs of getting better. People who are not working are not adding to tax revenues. The very same revenues that are needed to fund efforts such as this. No matter how willing or not both countries may be the true question has to be about their ability to sustain this over time. No one has defined "temporary" as far as I've been able to see. I can assume we're looking at a year at least.

Of course Haitians will be better off in either country than they are in their own. At first. Do you think they're going to continue to compare their situation with how things were in Haiti for very long? Will they be content to be better off than they were in Haiti but nowhere near the Dominican up the block or the American down the street? How altruistic is it really to set someone up to be a "have-not" in my country rather than working on raising their standard of living in their own when in this situation aid and money is coming in from all over the world making it very possible to do?

It is very easy to get all caught up in the emotions around this disaster..

I'm also wondering how generous everyone will be feeling in about a year.

So, you'll forgive me if I can't look at this and jump in without thinking twice. Everyone involved is a person and deserves to have some thought given to their best interests before unsustainable and ultimately harmful actions are taken.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

My mother-in-law, a very light skinned Dominican, when I asked her about Haitians ( this was one night when the power was out and we were sitting in the dark watching the Haitians walk by) She simply said : They are people like the rest of us. Some are good and some are bad. They are poor and need help." This was long before the earthquake. Another neighbour adopted a Haitian street kid when he was about 4. He is now about 11 and in Grade 4 at the public school. In Barrio Don Bosco Haitians and Dominicans live side by side, seemingly without difficultly. Having said that, I believe there is genuine concern that the Haitians will overrun the place. Certainly there are more and more every year.