Hammer Drill

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
their is a big difference between a hammer drill a rotary hammer drill ? as far as rotary hammer drills go Hilti is the top of the line.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
their is a big difference between a hammer drill a rotary hammer drill ? as far as rotary hammer drills go Hilti is the top of the line.
Hilti is overprice.. for the homeowner to much drill... that drill is for a contractor who uses it daily,,,, for the once every 3 months home owner i would go with the Dewalt...

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
My cordless is still dead and one of my neighbors asked me to install his dryer vent. Keep in mind our out sidewalls here are 10" concrete blocks. This is the 5th dryer vent I installed. So with cordless dead I dug out my 12 year old half inch drive Jobmate hammer drill.
I paid $30 CDN for it 12 years ago. It took about 1 1/2 hours to do the job. The longest time stretch was letting the drill cool down. I'm pretty sure this drill has drilled more holes than I have had hot meals in the last 12 years.
In our shop in Canada we use Rigid, Snap-on, Mikita and a I'm sure there are a few others. Cost has no bearing on how good they are as it seems it's just luck with some over others.

Sep 4, 2012
My cordless is still dead and one of my neighbors asked me to install his dryer vent. Keep in mind our out sidewalls here are 10" concrete blocks. This is the 5th dryer vent I installed. So with cordless dead I dug out my 12 year old half inch drive Jobmate hammer drill.
I paid $30 CDN for it 12 years ago. It took about 1 1/2 hours to do the job. The longest time stretch was letting the drill cool down. I'm pretty sure this drill has drilled more holes than I have had hot meals in the last 12 years.
In our shop in Canada we use Rigid, Snap-on, Mikita and a I'm sure there are a few others. Cost has no bearing on how good they are as it seems it's just luck with some over others.

Hammer and a chisel.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Harbor freight carry a 1/2 keyed chuck corded hammer drill $ 20.00 Dollars, I have one in my house in Santiago that have done the job installing windows shades and others personal duties a few time on very hard concrete walls.

JJ

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
1o9bt5.jpg

Well I bit the bullet and made this purchase. First time using an impact driver and wish I had of bought one when they first came on the market. The drill is for drilling and the impact driver is for screwing screws.

I had some minor repair work I had to do on my deck stateside and that impact drive drove those screws into 5/4 pressure treated lumber as if drilling through butter. Did a little reading and once they perfect an attachment for the impact driver to convert it to a drill the current thought is one day the impact driver will replace the cordless drill. Only time will tell.

Next up for me will be a compound/miter saw to replace my 25 year old radial arm saw with the dying motor. Any woodworkers with a suggestion? Most likely will go with DeWalt as they do make some quality tools.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well I bit the bullet and made this purchase. First time using an impact driver and wish I had of bought one when they first came on the market. The drill is for drilling and the impact driver is for screwing screws.

I had some minor repair work I had to do on my deck stateside and that impact drive drove those screws into 5/4 pressure treated lumber as if drilling through butter. Did a little reading and once they perfect an attachment for the impact driver to convert it to a drill the current thought is one day the impact driver will replace the cordless drill. Only time will tell.

Next up for me will be a compound/miter saw to replace my 25 year old radial arm saw with the dying motor. Any woodworkers with a suggestion? Most likely will go with DeWalt as they do make some quality tools.

Good price but the drill is not a hammer drill, only the driver right ? Dewalt makes good tools, which are waaaay over priced in DR

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Good price but the drill is not a hammer drill, only the driver right ? Dewalt makes good tools, which are waaaay over priced in DR

Yes, the drill is only a drill. I have a corded hammer drill which will outperform any cordless hammer drill. I also have an old, old Dewalt hammer drill which has about seen it's day but still usable in a pinch.

Forgot to mention the only con with the set i purchased the batteries are only rated 1.3Ah. With two batteries not too bad if doing small projects. Probably in the future will get at least one battery of a higher Ah rating.