Hate and the Role of a Super Power Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Jealousy

Yea, Every Canadian, Norwegian,Swede...etc wakes up in the morning and says " Thank God for the USA, I wish I was American...Not.
JazzCom, I'm sure you don't care, but if you take your post on America will get what it wants, supply and demand..etc and magnify the same opinion in several hundred congressmen/women and other Goverment officials, you should have an idea why Americans are so loved across the world. The very thing that many Admire about Americans( straight ahead, damm the torpedos) is the same thing that makes people dislike them. The word Bully is an appropiate word for American Foreign Policy, trade policy...etc.
When I wake up a go to work as a member of a search and rescue Sqn in the Canadian Air Force the only jealousy I have towards America is : Your Air force has more and nicer toys to play with than ours.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Re: The ugly american syndrome

golo said:
is the result of envy across the world.
TW

Um, actually no, it's because lots of Americans have the tendency to act in a very "ugly" way while abroad. Hate to say it, but I've seen it too many times to deny it. Wish I had the audio capabilities to share my impersonations of my worst run-ins with American tourists.

Beyond foreign policy, that is just the general perception.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Jazzcom, I can only surmise that we roam in very different circles when in the DR. I'm in the big city, elbow to elbow with people going to "work" every day. I get the sense (don't know, just figuring) you might be going to tourist type areas, where you represent something very different than I do. No offense, it's just a guess. When I leave the city and go North or to the East to the beaches all the frowns turn to smiles.

At school, I'm around very intelligent, well read and seemingly patriotic Dominicans. Many have this belief that they'd be much better off (yesterday, today and tomorrow) without ANY U.S. involvement (where do you think that belief system comes from? Parents are my guess, but I don't know for sure).

I strongly disagree, but respect their opinions. As Andy pointed out to me, it's probably part jealousy and strong patriotism for their country. I support, and strongly encourage them in that (patriotic) belief.

If this country is going to progress and not regress, the generation I'm working with will be the ones to do it.

On the flip side, many feel it's hopeless, the corruption in the goverment is going to spell the end for this nation. I tell them to make up their minds; be part of the solution or part of the problem. They say "it may take 20 or 30 years." I rebutt that with "then who are the most important people in this country right now" they'll say " the government." I tell them that's wrong.... "YOU are the most important people in this country, you've got 20 years to fix it, get started."

Then I leave for the day and go and change my tires the neighbors flatten for me every day (well the last two anyway).

Do you think they flatten my tires because I'm a teacher or a gringo? Answer me that!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Let me add to the Ugly American mantra.

I used to lead rafting expeditions on the Rouge River (for an American Company - all Americans) and quickly learned to say "thanks, but no thanks" when my clients would ask me to come out with them at night.

I've never felt shame being an American until I had the misfortune of seeing some of them use Montreal as their playground and treat the help (waiters/waitresses/bartenders/bellman/taxi drivers, etc.) like scum.

Even going out by myself I'd see it happening, it was then that I was wise to the Ugly American.

I thought then - and do so now as well - that the exchange rate had at least something to do with it. Americans felt as if they were doing the Canadiens a favor by showing up and spending money, and were obliged to treat them anyway they wanted.

On a seperate note, is this why Canadiens, when they visit Cape Cod don't tip any of the waitstaff - cheap bastards - I was trying to put myself through college that year. Anyone of you Maple Leafs that went to the Wayside Inn in Chatham in 1991, you owe me 18% + inflation for 12 years!

Send your checks to:
GNNT (Gringo needs new tires)
101 Maple Leafe Ln.
Santo Domingo, RD

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if you gringos get out of your bubbles and see this world with open eyes then you would see that the majority of the people don't really care for the americans. I have been to europe several times and I have yet to find people who like americans. They might like to live there or visit the disney land but they hate to act or live in a mind of an american. Americans come out really aggressive and rude to the foreigners when they are visiting their countires. They want everyone to speak english and the world to resemble like USA. Americans look down upon others and brag / show off their power and weath to the less economically blessed citizens.
The english, german and the irish may give you the friendly smiles on your face but behind your backs they laugh at your ignorance. To them, you are all hollywood fools, characters straight from the movies.
Why is it that you people are so surprised that the canadian and many europeans don't share the same thoughts on 9/11 as you all do? The reason, they don't watch the same BS government / jewish controlled news media as you all do. An average canadian know far more about the world outside of canadian borders than an average (so called) well educated american. Most americans don't know the name of the capital of canada much less the name of their prime minister.
When you americans come to DR and stay in sosua and mingle with 300 pesos cheap tattoes whores; what do you think how the dominicans see you and percieve your character? What types of dominicans are you really seeing there? You think those dominicans would tell you that they hate americans? No way, you are bringing business to them and they are leaching off you.
But if you guys come to Santiago or to santo domingo where the real educated dominicans live, you will notice that no one cares for you or for any american. The truth is that dominicans don't like americans in general. In fact, more people admire and look up to bin laden than george bush. Just yesterday i had seen a dominican guy with bin laden's T shirt. Dominicans are not affected by the 9/11 incident nor they care about what happened there. The economy might have been hurt but dominicans go about their daily lives as though nothing has happened. Most educated dominicans could care less if another building fall off and kills another 500 americans. They are just not affected by that. On the other hand, many dominicans are not in the favor of american aggression on weaker countries. They still remember how the americans came to this tiny island and killed scores of dominicans in 1965 to change the government.
Wake up you gringos, the world is not blind like you all.
After killing thousands of poor helpless iraqis with carpet bombing and then killing about a million babies and other innocent people with your disgraceful blockade, you expect people to love you?
remember the 2 atomic bombs that you dropped on japan? On cvilians, have you forgotten about that too? How about destroying afghanistan and killing thousands of people there, you expect people to send you flowers on the aniversary of 9/11?
How about the invasion of panana and killing 100 thousand people there?
Vietnam, Guam, nicaragua, korea, assisting israel in killing arabs, Assisting iran with weapons to continue the war with iraq while arming iraq as well? I can go on and on with your evil atrocities towards other human beings but i am afraid I will run out of ink here.
What is the matter with you americans, you all have short memory or what? Why can't you see it this way?
Stop sticking your nose in other people's business and worry about your own country for a change. Most american people don't know what their country is doing to other nations on the globe. You people are kept in the dark from the biased censored news that you get on daily bases.
I honestly believe that americans are not bad people, i bet if they find out exactly what their government is up to, they will never stand for it.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]AZB[/B] said:
The truth is that dominicans don't like americans in general. In fact, more people admire and look up to bin laden than george bush.
Cite please?

I'd like to know where you did your poll and where I've been living for the last 31 years.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
you know what pib, i often wonder if you really do live in DR. Are you sure you don't live in sweden by any chance?
PIB, you don't have to take polls or look up researched material to find facts. I mean, there is more to life than reading novels and books. I am talking from the school of life. Just meet people and talk to them like average people and they will spill their guts to . I can see how you may interact with people, judging from your responses to some of the posts i read.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
AZB, don't be late for class on Monday. I want you in your seat when the bell rings.

Understand?

Apr 26, 2002
Madman or Terrorist

AZB: I thought you were arrested at the Airport on September 11th. (See DR1, 9/12/02 "Madman or Terrorist"). I guess nobody told you that DR1 is part of the international zionist media conspiracy. In any case, your posts have only been permitted in order to assist in your location by the American/Israeli Joint Secret Anti-Arab Task Force (AIJSAATF) and will soon be deleted. The black helicopters will promptly swoop down on your residence and take you to a secret location where you will be held incommunicado as an enemy combatant until your conversion to evangelical Christianity. Still, you will be better off than other Moslems - all of whom must die under the specific plan of the international Jew/Crusader conspiracy. Then the Jews and Americans can rejoice in the splender of having the oil riches of Saudi Arabia all to themselves. This all makes perfect sense to you, doesn't it?

PIB promises to write you.

Missing_DR: Are you from the Soda Plains? Which other territories were lost to China.

All Canadians: You're next!

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa?
man or a faggot?
sounds like a sissy name to me.
Are you with us (men) or are you part of the problem?

Apr 26, 2002
AZB said:
Porfio_Rubirosa?
man or a faggot?
sounds like a sissy name to me.
Are you with us (men) or are you part of the problem?

Well, how can I respond to such a well though-out and reasoned response, except "I know you are but what am I".

For the record, if you knew anything about Dominican history, you would know that Porfirio Rubirosa was about as non-"faggot" as one could be.

By the way, I am DEFINITELY part of your problem.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thread Closed!

Kind of inevitable really :(

Some of you really need to engage brain before clicking on the "Post Reply" icon.

Status
Not open for further replies.