He was Puertorican Afterall!!!!

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Scandall said:
Congratulations, Sunshine. You have posted information that only Tim and I understand.

:) :)

Scandall

Cool! That was really just for you, Scandall, because I thought you might understand my point of view.

Too unmotivated to work for a promotion = too unmotivated to solve an 11-year old "crisis".

I'm with you on this one, I think there's more to the story.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Scandall said:
Ahh...a voice of reason. Thank God.

Proving your citizenship is easy. A few calls to you Congressman, Senator or even local official would get the ball rolling. 11 years? I imagine that this guy went to the embassy and was told that he needed more documentation or something that he did not have. Instead of doing some legwork and solving the problem he decided to spend 11 years doing whatever it was that he was doing and blaming them.

NEWSFLASH...being in the National Guard does not make you a "veteran"...and being in the U.S. military does not mean you are a citizen...you only need residency to join. Which is why there was a resolution on the floor of the House of Representatives that passed and went to the Senate to fast track citizenship for soldiers serving in Iraq. I am not sure of the outcome.

Scandall

That's what I had to do. Trust me, the INS is one of the most inept sections of USCIS. As it turns out, a call to the congresswoman in my district solved my problem. Only thing was, that I already had my citizenship for 14 years and INS had screwed up in submitting the paperwork when my mom received her certificate......in other words "it got lost in the system" :ermm:, I laughed about it because I thought this could not possibly happen but then again, I am aware of the bureocracy being a very large factor.......

And there was an executive order issued out on July 4th, 2002 that authorized military members to apply for citizenship on a fast track. After seeing plenty of people I knew when I was in Iraq being medevaced into the theater hospital and missing legs and arms, I definitely think that they deserve citizenship. Some might disagree but try standing in front of a 20 year old Iraq veteran born in Mexico or somewhere else with a prosthetic leg and telling him that he will not receive citizenship. That might make someone liable to flip out :angry:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Scandall said:
Congratulations, Sunshine. You have posted information that only Tim and I understand.

:) :)

Scandall

And me ;), you Army guys are a pain in the a$$ when it comes to your acronyms.......but I know all the ranks by heart......do yall like fooling people in other branches by having them think that you're officers :D ??? It was one of the funniest things I saw in Iraq, when our AF and the Navy people didn't know what the ranks were.....

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Jon S. said:
you Army guys are a pain in the a$$ when it comes to your acronyms.......but I know all the ranks by heart......do yall like fooling people in other branches by having them think that you're officers :D ??? QUOTE]

An officer?? ::shudder::

Gawd no! I actually worked for a living.:rambo:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
sunshine_79 said:
Jon S. said:
you Army guys are a pain in the a$$ when it comes to your acronyms.......but I know all the ranks by heart......do yall like fooling people in other branches by having them think that you're officers :D ??? QUOTE]

An officer?? ::shudder::

Gawd no! I actually worked for a living.:rambo:

I knew you wouldn't resist, Sunshine....

I was an officer...but was a PV1 scrubbing toilets on Sand Hill, Ft Benning long before I was a beer drinking 1LT in the O Club...

Having been on both sides of the fence I can tell you without reservation which was better...any guesses?

Scandall

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I''m sorry you had to be down in Ft Benning.........all my friends that went there for Infantry training hated it with a passion

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Jon S. said:
I''m sorry you had to be down in Ft Benning.........all my friends that went there for Infantry training hated it with a passion

That's what I was there for. Boot camp and infantry school. Went back for Airborne school later.

Scandall

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
AirBorne

Scandall said:
That's what I was there for. Boot camp and infantry school. Went back for Airborne school later.

Scandall

Ever hear about what falls out of the air, only 2 things and both in the same catagory:classic:

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
bienamor said:
Ever hear about what falls out of the air, only 2 things and both in the same catagory:classic:

Easy there, killer.

Us airborne folks tend to stick together. Do you want me to take care of this guy, Scandall? ;)

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
bob saunders said:
lawndarts is the polite term for you guys.

Unless you've jumped into complete and utter darkness with 95lbs of combat equipment on your body and a 45lb parachute strapped to your back, you haven't really lived!

Dirty, nasty leg! ;)

(Help, Scandall!!)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Why???????????????

sunshine_79 said:
Unless you've jumped into complete and utter darkness with 95lbs of combat equipment on your body and a 45lb parachute strapped to your back, you haven't really lived!

Dirty, nasty leg! ;)

(Help, Scandall!!)

I could never figure out why somebody would jump out of a perfectly good air plane, :eek:

Not a leg, I was the product of an oxymoron, like military intelligence. We were too chicken to be legs, let alone jump!:rambo:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Cobran $15 mil a puertorique?o ilegal sin querer 1

Man, this guy must be the most unlucky Puerto Rican in the planet. First he gets stranded in the DR for more than 11 years after he lost his travel papers, now he can't exit the DR unless he pays 15,000 pesos for overstaying his stay. I would not get on plane with this guy. No way.

http://www.elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=45342

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
bienamor said:
I could never figure out why somebody would jump out of a perfectly good air plane, :eek:

Because we're nuts.

When someone tells me I'm crazy, I smile and say "Thank you!"

Back on topic, I'm surprised that the guy only has to pay 15,000 pesos for departure, I assumed the fee would be much steeper.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Stodgord said:
I think it was his responsibility to prove to the government who he was and not for the government to prove. If it took 11 years is because he allowed it to be somehow. In the US, if the computer says I am dead I must prove the government that I am alive by providing substantiated proof. Me moving around and looking alive is not a valid proof. Samething in the DR, you must pay and provide substantiated proof of who you are before you get any type of offical document.

Something I forgot to mention earlier...

If this guy served in the US military, then why didn't he contact the appropriate agency to obtain copies of his records??

Why didn't he contact both the state he served in and also the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis?

Unless you are a veteran who served 40 years ago and "lost" your records in the big fire at St. Louis in 1973, it's easy to get access to your records, specifically your 201 file.

In either case, all you have to do is submit a Special Form (SF) 180 via fax or mail.

(For all you laypersons, a 201 file is basically a record of all of your military documents, such as enlistment contracts, promotions, unit changes, etc. )

And in every service member's 201 file, there are also copies of enlistment documents, i.e., birth certificate, social sercurity card, drivers license.

There is also an SF 86 which is the form used by the Defense Security Services (DSS) to initiate background checks and security clearances.

EVERY service member, from cook to fighter pilot, has filled one out at least once. Not every service member has a security clearance but every single person in the armed forces has to have, at a minimum, a background check conducted by DSS.

Although the waiting period may be a bit lengthy, i.e., 90 - 120 days, there is no way in hell that it would take 11 years.

So if anyone can give me a reason why this guy couldn't produce verification to resolve this situation, then I would be most interested in hearng it.

I'm sorry but this guy is a real moron. Probably was an 11B. ;)

I don't buy for one second that he couldn't gets his hands upon his personnel records.

Somewhere out there, a village is missing their idiot...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sunshine_79 said:
If this guy served in the US military, then why didn't he contact the appropriate agency to obtain copies of his records??
That's sort of what I was alluding to in post #12. It should have been easy to verify his identity and citizenship.

Either the guy didn't want to be found, or he has the IQ of a small turnip.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
rellosk said:
That's sort of what I was alluding to in post #12. It should have been easy to verify his identity and citizenship.

Either the guy didn't want to be found, or he has the IQ of a small turnip.

A turnip? Don't you think you're being a bit generous??

In all seriousness, any poster on this board could access this guy's military records if they put a little elbow grease into it. It's not difficult. You don't even need a SSN half the time if you know where to look.

I'm surprised that nobody asked me how I knew this guy was an E-4.

The article didn't mention it nor was his rank visible in the corresponding photograph.

Just a thought.