Heartburn: what local remedies or what to buy in the farmacia?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Vicks???? for hearburn???? wtf??? first time ive ever heard that... lol

Ive had heartburn since I was 17....my uncle died from a hole in his esophaugaus (sp?) caused by dealing with heart burn his whole life. Thank god for omeprazole.

Just go to any DR pharmacy and ask for omeprazole.... they'll probably have a few generic brands.... just ask for the cheapest and make sure its not from India. I have had great sucess with a generic brand (La Francol S.A) Small white plastic deal with 15 pills inside. Sell them at farmacia brasil.. Dont know where its made or where its from but they're cheap (around 15 pesos a pill) and after many years of trying different generic brands, these work great.

Everyones different so if you dont want to "play around" trying different brands just go with the national brand Ethical. They work good but are a little on the strong side.

BTW, 20mg is enough unless you have some serious stomach acid problems. All my issues are self caused by an overwhelming addiction to Kola Real, Mountain Dew, and all the different Crush's. :p

Only take omeprazole if you have you have acid problems more than 2-3 days a week (chronic).

Also, omeprazole is mainly for preventing heartburn. So take it in the morning cause when the heartburn starts, its much harder for the medicine to do its job.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ive had heartburn since I was 17....my uncle died from a hole in his esophaugaus (sp?) caused by dealing with heart burn his whole life. Thank god for omeprazole.
Good post, all true.

I damaged my esophagus in my early 20's with an unintentional viscous hit on the practice field, caused a partial hernia. I spit blood at the time. Acid reflux became a part of life later on, and if anyone has ever experienced that, it's not pleasant. I avoided any food that caused the stomach to pump more acid. I went through everything, the Pepcids, antacids, you name it. Prilosec was a lifesaver. In the 90's it was around $3.50 a pill and I was happy to pay. Now OTC it's around US$0.50.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I have had nightly "heart burn" (acid reflux) for over 15 years. Typically, acid foods like cooked tomatoes with fat (can you spell PIZZA) and wine and later even beer would be the worst offenders.
In 2001, I was introduced to Omeprazole in Spain (looong before it became an available generic in the US). I took it daily for 8 years. I never had HB again during this time after the 3rd day of taking it.
HOWEVER, Omeprazole is slowly compiling a longer list of not very desirable side-effects.
One evening, I was googling for a good source for Omeprazole and came across an article which suggested that eating an apple AT BED TIME would not only suppress HB but could CURE it. Upon research, a number of similar articles suggested that taking a table spoon of apple-cider vinegar would do the same or better and have additional health benefits.
I tried the apple route first with some results (mind you, I just dropped the Omeprazole and switched to apples instead).
Then I tried apple-cider vinegar and had as good results as I previously had with Omeprazole.
The theory is, that while Omeprazole shuts down some acid production in the stomach, apple cider vinegar suggests the body that acid levels are already too high and thus, the body NATURALLY produces LESS digestive acid.
I have been taking apple cider vinegar EVERY night for years until I slowly "forgot" about it and discovered that it not only controlled my HB but actually cured it away.
NOW, I also changed my diet and found that SEPARATING active carbs (active = sugars and starches) from fat was the best way to keep HB from recurring. I keep a high fat/high protein/LOW active carb diet for fitness purposes and have virtually totally stopped the consumption of alcohol (especially the chemicals filled junk the sell around here (Presidente etc). I have an athletic body and at 47 years, keep a bellow 10% body fat ratio at all times at 175Lbs being 5'11".

Eating JUNK or the new "American diet" Pyramid of "foods" consisting mainly of Sugar, Fat and Sodium does NOT help and thinking that you can just pop a pill so your body can accept JUNK stuffed into it is lying to yourself.

... J-D.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Mike. There are so many conditions that this could be, from esophageal to gastroparesis that you really should consult a Doctor / Gastroenterolgist. He will do a simple endoscopy and some blood work and correctly diagnose your ailment. Go to Santiago, get it done for peace of mind and its not that much coin

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
I have had nightly "heart burn" (acid reflux) for over 15 years. Typically, acid foods like cooked tomatoes with fat (can you spell PIZZA) and wine and later even beer would be the worst offenders.
In 2001, I was introduced to Omeprazole in Spain (looong before it became an available generic in the US). I took it daily for 8 years. I never had HB again during this time after the 3rd day of taking it.
HOWEVER, Omeprazole is slowly compiling a longer list of not very desirable side-effects.
One evening, I was googling for a good source for Omeprazole and came across an article which suggested that eating an apple AT BED TIME would not only suppress HB but could CURE it. Upon research, a number of similar articles suggested that taking a table spoon of apple-cider vinegar would do the same or better and have additional health benefits.
I tried the apple route first with some results (mind you, I just dropped the Omeprazole and switched to apples instead).
Then I tried apple-cider vinegar and had as good results as I previously had with Omeprazole.
The theory is, that while Omeprazole shuts down some acid production in the stomach, apple cider vinegar suggests the body that acid levels are already too high and thus, the body NATURALLY produces LESS digestive acid.
I have been taking apple cider vinegar EVERY night for years until I slowly "forgot" about it and discovered that it not only controlled my HB but actually cured it away.
NOW, I also changed my diet and found that SEPARATING active carbs (active = sugars and starches) from fat was the best way to keep HB from recurring. I keep a high fat/high protein/LOW active carb diet for fitness purposes and have virtually totally stopped the consumption of alcohol (especially the chemicals filled junk the sell around here (Presidente etc). I have an athletic body and at 47 years, keep a bellow 10% body fat ratio at all times at 175Lbs being 5'11".

Eating JUNK or the new "American diet" Pyramid of "foods" consisting mainly of Sugar, Fat and Sodium does NOT help and thinking that you can just pop a pill so your body can accept JUNK stuffed into it is lying to yourself.
... J-D.

I've asked Ellie to get be a bottle from the supermarket here in the UK. Will be trying it out tonight.
Thanks for the advice.
Tropical regards,
Ian & Ellie

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
You can get Musselman's apple cider vinegar at Tropical Super Market in Puerto Plata... I'd reckon, it ought to show up "here & there" around the island. It's better than Heinz's.

I have found that eating raw mature coconut "meat" (right out of a hard shell nut) at bed time also keeps the stomach "happy" for the night. I love Coconut because of it's fat as I don't consume "active" carbs.

... J-D.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I do a lot of diving (scuba) and sometimes i get some acid or reflux I put up with it for a few years until someone gave me a few 'lansopraxol' tablets. they said to take one every day......but I only took two and all the symptoms went away for months. I do limit my orange juice intake though as that was a contributing factor.......

Not sure if you can get them here, never tried as I buy them in St Marten when I am there. I would think they are available though OTC here.....

Lansoprazole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

regards

Dave

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
I've had acid heartburn caused by H. Pylori. was prescribed Prevacid triple therapy and Nexium.

All gone now. Five years . I can eat any food now. I do not have any
side effects or symptons

Last edited:

Antw22

May 15, 2013
The "normal" course is 14 times. But in my situation it'll be permanently. The "issue" is symptoms of heartburn can make stomach sores. The 14 day routine allows cure them. Diet issues, also.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Plop, plop, fizz, fizz......

[video=youtube;bxjb2UJZ-5I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxjb2UJZ-5I&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Insomnia strikes again..........

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
If you have reflux/heartburn 3 or more times a week try a daily Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) like Omeprazole (prilosec) or Esomeprazole (nexium) daily. Most effective when the pill is taken about 30 minutes before you eat. The GI doctors will say Nexium is the strongest and most effective for bad reflux but Prilosec works for most. If you have occassional reflux take a H2 blocker like Zantac (Ranitadina) or Pepsid (famotidine). They work faster than the PPIs but arent as strong. Of course if you lose weight and change the crummy diet that works best.