Help expat get back home for lifesaving treatment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2007
If this woman has been in the DR for 10 years, can she just pop back to her home country and get heart surgery? If it were my mother mother and IF I was assured her health care would be covered in her home country I would be getting a second mortgage on my house,- not asking for donations! Also,- I would be more comfortable with the situation if it was not her family that was receiving the money directly,-------

Generally, if a foreign national is facing a life threatening medical situation in a foreign country, the embassy of that country (I should say USA as I don't know of others) will provide assistance to get that person to medical care whether it be local or flying home and then seek reimbursement

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You'se guys are way to cynical. How would you feel if she dies before she can get out? Bloody 'ell. Not every family can quickly put together 4K pounds. At least wait for somebody to confirm or deny the existence of what their saying.

And she is Joy from the Rose and Thistle. It was a little bar/restaurant near the The Checkpoint. Closed up a few years ago.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
"Wayne said: ?Joy is my big sister and we have always been close ? there were nine kids in our family so we were drawn together because we are nearly the same age."

Nine siblings cannot scrape up enough for a one way ticket back home?

FRank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm sorry. I do not understand why a one way ticket should cost $4000 pounds! That's more then $6500 dollars for a one way ticket.

Frank

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
. . .USA as I don't know of others) will provide assistance to get that person to medical care whether it be local or flying home and then seek reimbursement

Your Dreaming, Island Dreaming. I've seen unconnected US citizens go to another country's embassies (Swiss) for help. Mediation, not medical nor money. The U.S. does not know you unless it's to collect taxes.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The usual DR1 BS answers. I think too many of you have been hanging around too many Dominican users and takers.
This woman and her family are in need of support. She is very ill and needs medical care.
I certainly hope none of the smart-asses on DR1 are put in the same situation.
I pray for her to make it through this ordeal. I also pray for her family to keep the faith that there are some good people out there to help them.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
what goes around comes around
she is well known in sosua and no money has been forthcoming from the expats
maybe there is more to this woman than meets the eye?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The thing is that a donations page and a fund raiser for 4000 pound sounds fishy. If she needs a treatment of several hundred thousand dollars I would believe this easier than this effort to get a few thousand dollars together.

But maybe I became to cynical.

It's not that I don't believe the lady is sick and needs to get home. It looks more like the family preferring to have anonymous people pay than get the money together themselves.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What is wrong with her Facebook friends?
Why has this not been posted on her Facebook page seeking help from people that @ least know her, come on?
Perhaps the 5-6 people that are friends with her on FB and active dr1 members could pipe in, mighty quiet.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
What is wrong with her Facebook friends?
Why has this not been posted on her Facebook page seeking help from people that @ least know her, come on?
Perhaps the 5-6 people that are friends with her on FB and active dr1 members could pipe in, mighty quiet.

I didn't read her Facebook page. I did take a look at the page her daughter started, Save Joy’s Heart – Her Journey. I read the story that her daughter wrote about her health care in the DR and what steps they are taking to get her home to the UK.
Her daughter tells the real story. You won't get the real story from DR1 poster speculations.
Perhaps her friends on Facebook who are DR1's are responding here but I would not know who they are.
I just took a peek at her Facebook page. Her last post was a saying: "Don't worry about what people are saying behind your back. They are the people who are finding faults in your life instead of fixing the faults of their own."
Sounds about right to me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just look at who was the "OP" on this thread!!!!!!!!
Makes as much sense as ANY of his other Threads!
AND, he included a "PRETTY PICTURE"!!!!!!
This doesn't pass the "Smell Test"!!!!!!

Maybe her X husband's family can help her??????? :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

How much did you send "P"???????????????????

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
This is the lady that rides around on the back of a moto cocho selling pasties and pies, you often see her at the coastal garage!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is the lady that rides around on the back of a moto cocho selling pasties and pies, you often see her at the coastal garage!

Yes she is "the baker" of English pies. I do think her story is genuine despite who the OP was. I spoke to her just this week about her situation and could see nothing phony about her need.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I have no doubt that she is sick as well, and I'm even willing to contribute in whatever small way i can. But I want to see where a one way ticket to England costs $4000 pounds ($6500 US Dollars).

I fly back and forth to Norway twice a year on one way tickets for 300 Euros ($450 dollars!!!). i do not buy round trip tickets because i do not know if i want to return.

For me, it's not that i don't trust her or do not want to help her...its more a question of what one way ticket costs $6500 dollars!

Frank

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's probably the cost of a family member flying from the UK to accompany her back, plus whatever special care she needs on board (nurse? space to lie down?)

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Ok I'm a bit troubled with the whole story, medical need to return home I understand what does not make sense to me is IF she is the woman riding around on the back of a moto concho selling pastries they the what special needs would she need for a plane ticket ?? Just wondering.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It is quite clear in the Guardian Article, so I'm not sure why people would take issue.

One return airfare, one one-way airfare and costs for medical supplies and care.

So far they have managed to raise ?1,000, but need ?4,000 to cover the cost of Teresa fetching her mother home and care on the flight home.

Teresa said: ?I had hoped we would have enough by today, so that I could fly out tomorrow and bring Mum home
on Sunday, however we are still short.?

‘Help bring my sick sister home for care’ - Spalding Guardian

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It's probably the cost of a family member flying from the UK to accompany her back, plus whatever special care she needs on board (nurse? space to lie down?)

If windy spoke to her this week i would presume she is up and about, which might indicate can sit on a plane for 10 hours. Does flying increase strain on the heart, need for regulators or suchlike.

And a recent end in her marriage left her penniless, without insurance, i am sure there are a few men had wished divorce had gone that way for them, not usually the case though.

Status
Not open for further replies.