Help expat get back home for lifesaving treatment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is quite clear in the Guardian Article, so I'm not sure why people would take issue.

One return airfare, one one-way airfare and costs for medical supplies and care.

My issue is people asking for money for everything on FB these days! Figure it out yourself! How can a whole family not have a credit card not to deal with getting her home.
I just don't trust Gringos here in DR asking for money!
I may sound harsh but I just don't like takers in life!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The cost is not the point. a first class ticket to London alone is probably already USD6000. The point is why for such a relatively small amount raise money from strangers.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
PICHARDO making a public plea for DR1 members to send money to someone many of us don't know is bad enough.

But he himself doesn't know her. He read about this online.

She has relatives who purchased last-minute round-trip tickets to see her in the DR, but now the lot of them together can't scrape up two shillings to rub together to get her back home.

She may very well be sick and need assistance, but that's what official channels are for. I'm sure the embassy, along with the airlines, could work something out to get a reduced rate on the flight. And her relatives can assist by putting a package together of cash and credit to pay the difference.

Soliciting funds online like this is not cool. Even if this isn't a scam, it seems as if her friends and family are trying to absolve themselves of this responsibility. Then again, I remember the last time someone was out there asking for money for a flight home. The departure point wasn't Puerto Plata but Passion's in Sosua.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Then again, I remember the last time someone was out there asking for money for a flight home. The departure point wasn't Puerto Plata but Passion's in Sosua.

If I recall The RCMP were involved in locating the kidnappers on Pedro Clisante as well, now that was a comedy.
@ least the dogs were fed!

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
The usual DR1 BS answers. I think too many of you have been hanging around too many Dominican users and takers.
This woman and her family are in need of support. She is very ill and needs medical care.
I certainly hope none of the smart-asses on DR1 are put in the same situation.
I pray for her to make it through this ordeal. I also pray for her family to keep the faith that there are some good people out there to help them.

Yeah......but people need to take care of themselves, instead of coming to a public forum expecting financial help. Besides, how do we know this is legit? How do we know it isn't just a scam? And even if it is legit, if we were in the same situation, would they help us? This woman's situation is terrible but I don't know her.

Last edited:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
what goes around comes around
she is well known in sosua and no money has been forthcoming from the expats
maybe there is more to this woman than meets the eye?

Exactly, and she shouldn't expect any help from other expats. When I moved to the DR I knew I was own my own. I know if I become sick or injured no one will help me. If I were in her shoes I would not come to DR1 asking(begging?) for help. I have a lot of pride and if I can't take care of myself then there is no point being alive. Brutal but thats how I see it. Anyone depending on the mercy or gratitude of others is asking for trouble.

Anyone with health problems should not live in the DR. Anyone who can't take care of themselves financially shouldn't be here either. This is especially true for Europeans who are many thousands of miles away from home. At least for American expats the USA is only 600 miles away.

I could pitch in but I'm wary of helping someone I don't know. Then there is the question of would she help me if the situation was reversed. Besides, I have problems of my own, the difference is that I figure out ways to solve them rather than relying too much on others.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
I find the story to be lacking in some essential details and have shot it full of holes, not necessarily as to its veracity concerning her condition, but as to why such a small amount could not be collected from the family and friends back home.

It does not make sense to me.

However, on the strength of one post in this thread....and that poster, I have today made a donation.

Foolish....perhaps. But, I believe in Karma and that old maxim, what goes around comes around.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yeah......but people need to take care of themselves, instead of coming to a public forum expecting financial help. Besides, how do we know this is legit? How do we know it isn't just a scam? And even if it is legit, if we were in the same situation, would they help us? This woman's situation is terrible but I don't know her.

She didn't come on DR 1 looking for money. This was an initiative started by her children in the UK, to raise funds in the UK. It was reported in a UK newspaper and a DR 1 member saw it and thought it was of enough relevance to post here.

As for whether or not one chooses to help a stranger, that is for each of us to decide based on our own individual circumstances. Rather like a cost - benefit analysis. Will my $50 do more for the recipient than its "loss" will harm me?

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I find the story to be lacking in some essential details and have shot it full of holes, not necessarily as to its veracity concerning her condition, but as to why such a small amount could not be collected from the family and friends back home.

It does not make sense to me.

However, on the strength of one post in this thread....and that poster, I have today made a donation.

Foolish....perhaps. But, I believe in Karma and that old maxim, what goes around comes around.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Saying the amount is "small" is relative. Maybe to you, but not to me and certainly not most Dominicans. What goes around doesn't always come around. Sometimes you do things for people and they don't appreciate it. Sometimes you help others and then when you need help you find to your horror that no one is willing to help you.

My philosophy regarding this issue is simple, perhaps brutal: Help no one unless you get something worthwhile in return. It solves all the little issues I mentioned in my paragraph above. I generally don't like asking anybody for help, but on the rare occasion I do, I always offer something in return.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
She didn't come on DR 1 looking for money. This was an initiative started by her children in the UK, to raise funds in the UK. It was reported in a UK newspaper and a DR 1 member saw it and thought it was of enough relevance to post here.

As for whether or not one chooses to help a stranger, that is for each of us to decide based on our own individual circumstances. Rather like a cost - benefit analysis. Will my $50 do more for the recipient than its "loss" will harm me?

Call it what you want; sounds like begging to me. If I were in this situation you'd never know it because I have too much pride to ask anyone for anything. Nothing worse then depending on the mercy or gratitude of other humans. If I did come to DR1 asking for help(extremely unlikely), I'd offer a deal: help me and I will help you. This is the type of language most humans understand.

Besides, there are some people here on DR1 who would love for me to wind up in a situation like this woman, just so they can gloat about it, rub it in, and insult me. I'd never give them the opportunity.

Jan 9, 2004
Saying the amount is "small" is relative. Maybe to you, but not to me and certainly not most Dominicans. What goes around doesn't always come around. Sometimes you do things for people and they don't appreciate it. Sometimes you help others and then when you need help you find to your horror that no one is willing to help you.

My philosophy regarding this issue is simple, perhaps brutal: Help no one unless you get something worthwhile in return. It solves all the little issues I mentioned in my paragraph above. I generally don't like asking anybody for help, but on the rare occasion I do, I always offer something in return.

To each his own.

Just so you know, if someone that I respect came here and vouched for you under these or similar circumstances......I would help you too......and I would expect nothing in return.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

May 5, 2007
Your Dreaming, Island Dreaming. I've seen unconnected US citizens go to another country's embassies (Swiss) for help. Mediation, not medical nor money. The U.S. does not know you unless it's to collect taxes.

I guess we all have differing experience with the US Govt. and it's operations, mine have been positive. I would have thought in your lifetime of travel the US must have helped you just once? ;)

May 5, 2007
Speaking for myself but reading between the lines of other posts, I think most here believe her and feel sorry but just can't figure the expenditures, they don't seem to fit any known parameters

Hell, I would think the Dominican Govt could fire up a helicopter with a super transmission and fly her across the Atlantic in 2-3 hours

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I dont care about the story. My point is more about how anyone can live here 10 years and not have backup, financially so that worst case scenario......... out, no need to beg. Sounds more to me like she has ignored her own health calling right up to this last point, irrisponsibly and now wants bailed out when she could have left under her own expense, she hasnt lived on fresh air for the last 4 months. It is immature, irrisponsible and especially when you know the stress tbis puts on others.

But i wish her well.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Generally, if a foreign national is facing a life threatening medical situation in a foreign country, the embassy of that country (I should say USA as I don't know of others) will provide assistance to get that person to medical care whether it be local or flying home and then seek reimbursement

I know you got hammered on this, but here is some support for you. Taken from a US govt website:

"What assistance is available for U.S. citizens in connection with medical emergencies abroad?

" Consult the nearest Embassy?s website for a list of hospitals and doctors in your location overseas. Your hotel concierge may also be a good resource. The availability and quality of medical services available can vary greatly depending on your location. Read the Medical Facilities and Health Information section in our Country Specific Information pages or our Smart Traveler App. Review our Medical Insurance page for information about medical coverage abroad, air ambulances, and medical evacuation companies. Limited emergency medical funding assistance may be available on a reimbursable (loan) basis for temporarily destitute U.S. citizens and their qualified dependents."

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I dont care about the story. My point is more about how anyone can live here 10 years and not have backup, financially so that worst case scenario......... out, no need to beg. Sounds more to me like she has ignored her own health calling right up to this last point, irrisponsibly and now wants bailed out when she could have left under her own expense, she hasnt lived on fresh air for the last 4 months. It is immature, irrisponsible and especially when you know the stress tbis puts on others.

But i wish her well.

The family has been negligent. This is not the first heart attack, it is the 3rd. What was family doing after 1 and 2?

It is unfortunate that they didn't use the money spent to fly over after #3 to bring her home after 1 or 2.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I know you got hammered on this, but here is some support for you. Taken from a US govt website:

"What assistance is available for U.S. citizens in connection with medical emergencies abroad?

" Consult the nearest Embassy’s website for a list of hospitals and doctors in your location overseas. Your hotel concierge may also be a good resource. The availability and quality of medical services available can vary greatly depending on your location. Read the Medical Facilities and Health Information section in our Country Specific Information pages or our Smart Traveler App. Review our Medical Insurance page for information about medical coverage abroad, air ambulances, and medical evacuation companies. Limited emergency medical funding assistance may be available on a reimbursable (loan) basis for temporarily destitute U.S. citizens and their qualified dependents."

This is also true for Norway, and most likely all the Scandinavian countries. If you are deathly ill and need assistance--I.e need to get back home for emergency care, they will help, but you need to pay them back.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.