Help, Moving from US to Santo Domingo due to Husband's Deportation.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Good for you, Diane! I would think life is hard enough right now without having to justify yourself here, all because people can't read or are so busy with their own agendas they can't spare a thought for you. It seems to me that since this thread began you have won over the more serious minded. That speaks volumes for your tenacity, level headedness & ability to fight your corner in a mature way. Delighted to see information about hiring has been put your way. Good luck!

d life

Oct 11, 2004
Wisdom

hello,
I just want to say that living among foreigners and also being a part of the community and having part of my family as foreigners in the United States I understand the dilema that you are going through. But this is my advice.

Firstly,
It is not important what your husband did. Digging into the past will not resolve the future. The problem is not what he did or why he is being deported. The problem here is that he is being deported. Focusing on what he has done will not change anything.

Secondly,
I believe that you should spend some quality time with and let him go to the DR. I am a believer in gradual transition. He is originally from the DR and he can find his way around. It is usually easier for one person to go at a time that for the whole family to move at a time. Since you are not having immigration problems stay behind with the children and work. Someone has to support the other. It will likely be you supporting him for a little while until he gets his footing the the DR.

Let him get a place to stay and a job. One that is strong enough to support the family and then you can relocate. Plan to visit once a month or as often as you can afford.

Thirdly
I am not trying to say that the seperation for now will be easy but it is the way to survive. There are times that as a family we have to make some hard decisions but it is in the best interest of the family.

When he is stable and you have saved up some money then relocate the children one after the other. if you want to do all at a time its still ok if you can afford it.

Finally,
It will be wise that you should be the last one to move. You are the one that has the stable souce of income. Or that has the ability to get and sustain a stable source of income. Give yourself a time frame say 6 months for the whole family to be together. By then he should have stabilized enough for you to be together.

It is a hard decision but it is wisdom. My family has had to go through it. I know what I am talking about. It is not the easiest thing but it is called survival.

Best wishes

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lets,"Cut To The Chase!"

Forget every response in this in thos Thread!.....EXCEPY the last one by "d-life"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is "Straight Up"!

No more,no less!

All the others are prejudice one way or another!

You said you were moving because of you "heart',stay there because of your head!

Stay there,1 million Dominicans can't be wrong

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
dteferreira said:
TOTALLY WRONG ON BOTH COUNTS. Sorry but I don't know who you are referring to, however regardless of that fact, we have been together for 15 Years and married for 12 years and ALL 3 children are his. Hope this clarifies your confusion.

Yes,
and I am very sorry.

dteferreira

Nov 23, 2004
The End.....

Well everyone for the most part your posts have been wonderful and thought provoking and I especially think the last postings of wisdom really does cut to the chase and I do agree that one going ahead before the other for a short duration should that time come is practical and wise. Also in regards to whatever he did, its true nothing can be undone and focusing upon the past just delays one from moving ahead and developing a future. Within the next few months my goal is to research employment within the sectors that were mentioned, so should anyone here have knowledge of additional websites or contacts, please keep me in your thoughts. This also applies to American schools and real estate as I do believe although probably the most costly alternative, concentrating in the area of Santo Domingo is my wisest. I really do appreciate the after the fact ;) the third degree and raking over the coals as it appears this is what I needed to help me hunker down and develop a strategy and research alternatives. I guess for now my main questions are listed as follows:

1) Although costly, what and where would I find additional info on purchasing real estate in Santo Domingo. Any favorites amongst realtors and how does this work?

2) Info on perhaps working for US companies such as either call centers or in the consulate?

3) American schools as I do wish them to receive schooling outside of the home and in English even though I do realize there would be a much higher cost associated with this.

Willing to consider all recommendations and lastly....Thank you for helping me secure the strength inside myself to turn this event into an adventure and helping me to finally find the ability to put in perspective all of the things I can and can't live without!

Best Regards,
Diane

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
dteferreira said:
Well everyone for the most part your posts have been wonderful and thought provoking and I especially think the last postings of wisdom really does cut to the chase and I do agree that one going ahead before the other for a short duration should that time come is practical and wise. Also in regards to whatever he did, its true nothing can be undone and focusing upon the past just delays one from moving ahead and developing a future. Within the next few months my goal is to research employment within the sectors that were mentioned, so should anyone here have knowledge of additional websites or contacts, please keep me in your thoughts. This also applies to American schools and real estate as I do believe although probably the most costly alternative, concentrating in the area of Santo Domingo is my wisest. I really do appreciate the after the fact ;) the third degree and raking over the coals as it appears this is what I needed to help me hunker down and develop a strategy and research alternatives. I guess for now my main questions are listed as follows:

1) Although costly, what and where would I find additional info on purchasing real estate in Santo Domingo. Any favorites amongst realtors and how does this work?

2) Info on perhaps working for US companies such as either call centers or in the consulate?

3) American schools as I do wish them to receive schooling outside of the home and in English even though I do realize there would be a much higher cost associated with this.

Willing to consider all recommendations and lastly....Thank you for helping me secure the strength inside myself to turn this event into an adventure and helping me to finally find the ability to put in perspective all of the things I can and can't live without!

Best Regards,
Diane

You must have missed my previous post. Call me or send me a PM. I have a call center in Santo Domingo and would be interested in talking with you and potentially offering you employment.

Chris

Philippa

Dec 2, 2004
Hi

I know of two schools that are english speaking, carol morgan school in santo domingo (http://www.cms.edu.do) and the international school of sosua in sosua(puerto plata) (http://www.issosua.com). Also, if your children are fluent in spanish then maybe you should send them to a dominican private school, the catholic schools aren't bad there. It would definately be an experiance! As an american, maybe you can get a job in the consulate, I remember right before we moved my mother was going to try and get a job there. Also, maybe puerto plata and sosua might be better because you could be of help in the tourism department(hotels)...wish you the best of luck!!!

dteferreira

Nov 23, 2004
Call Center Employment

ustelephone said:
You must have missed my previous post. Call me or send me a PM. I have a call center in Santo Domingo and would be interested in talking with you and potentially offering you employment.

Chris

Hello Chris,

I apologize for not responding sooner as yes this posting has created a flurry of opinions and I might have missed it. Although I do not anticpate, God willing anyways of having to relocate anytime soon, I am extremely interested in more information regarding your call center overall and how they differ regarding American standards. Any info you could provide such as location, services, products, etc. would be greatly appreciated. It's wonderful just having an opportunity to speak with someone regarding employment leads and I look forward to hearing from you soon and sincerly appreciate your overall interest in my qualifications.

Have a great evening,
Diane

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
dteferreira said:
Hello Chris,

I apologize for not responding sooner as yes this posting has created a flurry of opinions and I might have missed it. Although I do not anticpate, God willing anyways of having to relocate anytime soon, I am extremely interested in more information regarding your call center overall and how they differ regarding American standards. Any info you could provide such as location, services, products, etc. would be greatly appreciated. It's wonderful just having an opportunity to speak with someone regarding employment leads and I look forward to hearing from you soon and sincerly appreciate your overall interest in my qualifications.

Have a great evening,
Diane

Got your PM, sent you a reply.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
Lambada said:
Does this mean your company has rethought the plan to close down, ustelephone? Good news!

The company is staying open, although we downsized our staff from 18 to 5 employees. We have changed our stragey from hiring bi-lingual Dominicans to now hiring ex-pats. The job requires the ability to sell to HR directors in the US which we have found requires not only a command of English but also a familiarity with corporate America. The decline of dollar hasn't been helping either.

Thanks for the cheer! Hope all is well with you.