Here's where you say...WE TOLD U SO!!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
sking, stop taking worthless advice form some poeple who encounter nothing but problems in DR. Buying a good used car is not such a bad idea. Just buy a toyota and then get to know a good honest mechanic who can keep your car in good shape. the repairs are dirt cheap so you can actually get your car totally rebuilt for next to nothing. I have done this to my old 1990 toyota and it runs like new again. You can buy a 2002 model, it will be like brand new if the owner has taken a good care of it. Finding good used cars are easy and they are everywhere. Rocky is the man who helps people find good used cars. He know quite a bit about cars and he is an expert in fixing computers. so there you have it, computer repair and car shopping, all in one stop. Hahaha
My next advice would be to find a good gasoline car and install a propane tank in it. You will tank me for the rest of your life.

I would help you get a house but the last time I did that for an american friend, he behaved good for the first 5 months and then one day he skipped the country without telling anyone. he owed 2 months rent, didn't pay electric bill, gas, cable or anything. The lawyers were after me to collect the money he owed. Thanks god I didn't sign any papers with the lawyer so they couldn't really get me. I have learned my lesson eversince.
AZB

AZB...it is HARD for someone to know what advice to take and what advice not to take when you are dealing with another country and different personalities. You just take it as it comes and try to filter it all later
I am trying to listen to eveything without making MAJOR mistakes as I have children that cannot afford for me to make mistakes (at least not HUGE ones)

You can just point me in the direction of rental houses if you know of any without getting directly involved because I understand the wariness of that. I have 2 Domincans who can sign for me if needed.

I have already signed a contract for the house in Sajoma although Los Materos (people in Sajoma) are telling me that I can break it, I am unsure. I have paid 3 months deposit and May and June's rent (and still have not received the keys). So actually the owner's would be getting off good if they just let me out of it...but that's a whole other situation...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
For a minute there ,I had to take a double take.

I thought you have been taking notes from Dominican-Kidd.

Get it "Yo"!!!

Funny Friday!!!!;);)

(I know you meant "years old")

I did forget the periods didn't I? You got me on that one, yo!:squareeye:squareeye:squareeye

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Ride Share?

SKing,

Glad to see you're still making progress on your move.

Is there any way your friend could put the word out and see if there's anyone else in town that does that trip for their kids? In the alternative, perhaps you and a few other families can work out a sharing arrangement where you each pay for a share on a collective bus.

Finally, there's the public/private option. Send your kids to the best nearby public or private school in the area, and supplement with tutors. They still get the benefits of socialization, but won't fall behind in their studies.

That said, as a realistic matter, it might be best to find something modest in Santiago, then start looking for more appropriate housing as you acclimate to the area.

Good luck,

DRob :glasses:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
SKing,

Glad to see you're still making progress on your move.

Is there any way your friend could put the word out and see if there's anyone else in town that does that trip for their kids? In the alternative, perhaps you and a few other families can work out a sharing arrangement where you each pay for a share on a collective bus.

Finally, there's the public/private option. Send your kids to the best nearby public or private school in the area, and supplement with tutors. They still get the benefits of socialization, but won't fall behind in their studies.

That said, as a realistic matter, it might be best to find something modest in Santiago, then start looking for more appropriate housing as you acclimate to the area.

Good luck,

DRob :glasses:

2 good options we have tried but we haven't found anyone yet, alot of college students but they take the public transportation which is at times unreliable there.

Also I spoke with 2 private schools there (I think the only 2). And my problem is that they only teach in Spanish and my kids are still learning and basically they told me if their spanish was not up to par, they would put them behind a grade until they can communicate effectively in Spanish...IMAGINATE!

Bringing my kids from the USA to be put behind a grade in the DR...never will happen, those people are crazy...and I told them so........

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
Umm, sorry to break this news but... as far as I know... most private schools in the DR are up to par on academics as in the US. The US has turned a bit too lenient with their grading. Thus, placing your child a grade behind due to a language barrier... is inevitable, unless you are willing to put them through an intensive Spanish course (which would be wasted in a 5 year old... kids learn fast but they don't have the discipline an adult has).

And, AZB is right again. I would NEVER buy a new car at Dominican prices. Find a used car, get an honest mechanic and pay him well to check it out. Ppl who get cheated/scammed while buying a car were not paying attention. You can't HIDE problems in a car. They're there.. it's a machine and it can be checked, fixed or discarded.

Please don't read the horror stories about this or other countries. Those ppl are unlucky, or they got into it themselves. Do things the best you can, and things will turn out ok. When you need help, come for advice... but don't read bad things ahead of time and fear them! Focus on the good advice about things you can avoid.

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Umm, sorry to break this news but... as far as I know... most private schools in the DR are up to par on academics as in the US. The US has turned a bit too lenient with their grading. Thus, placing your child a grade behind due to a language barrier... is inevitable, unless you are willing to put them through an intensive Spanish course (which would be wasted in a 5 year old... kids learn fast but they don't have the discipline an adult has).

And, AZB is right again. I would NEVER buy a new car at Dominican prices. Find a used car, get an honest mechanic and pay him well to check it out. Ppl who get cheated/scammed while buying a car were not paying attention. You can't HIDE problems in a car. They're there.. it's a machine and it can be checked, fixed or discarded.

Please don't read the horror stories about this or other countries. Those ppl are unlucky, or they got into it themselves. Do things the best you can, and things will turn out ok. When you need help, come for advice... but don't read bad things ahead of time and fear them! Focus on the good advice about things you can avoid.

I still would not put my children behind a grade, in a 3rd world country when there are other options. And that is why they will be attending private BILINGUAL colegios in Santiago. I have been told by the schools and several DR1ers that within a year they will be fluent...all without the need of being held back...

I will search the threads to see if any DR1ers recommend a good mechanic in the Santiago area and entertain the thought of buying used in the DR. We will see...I am not in a rush to do it, I want it done right, you know?

I am very optimistic about my move...no matter where we end up. I would have to be an optimistic person to do this after the bashing I have received from other Americans and my family...All of the good advice is surely appreciated...and needed!!!

May 31, 2005
OK. You don't have to degrade schools in a 3rd world country anymore. Last time I saw, a Dominican private school student in a 3rd world country knew more about History, Math and Science than a 1st world country private school student. But, that is another thread. I don't want to hijack this one. I just wanted to point out that I don't appreciate the disdain you use when speaking of Dominican 3rd world country private schools. Public schools I can't say.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
OK. You don't have to degrade schools in a 3rd world country anymore. Last time I saw, a Dominican private school student in a 3rd world country knew more about History, Math and Science than a 1st world country private school student. But, that is another thread. I don't want to hijack this one. I just wanted to point out that I don't appreciate the disdain you use when speaking of Dominican 3rd world country private schools. Public schools I can't say.

I think that you may have misunderstood me, therefore I will hold off on being a smarta** in this response.
I have not in any way degraded any schools. I have simply stated that I will NOT entertain the fact of having my children held behind a grade for language issues... I do not consider that an option...in ANY country. And I would like to also state that ALL private schools are not equal, and I know, as I spend alot of time in the DR visiting/touring different private schools and reading their curriculums.

Thank You...

May we procede?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
On the Gurabo side side of town in Santiago a decent 3bdr house can be rented for RD8k a month.

I would reconsider this person as a friend if they recommend a house at RD30k - ridiculous.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
On the Gurabo side side of town in Santiago a decent 3bdr house can be rented for RD8k a month.

I would reconsider this person as a friend if they recommend a house at RD30k - ridiculous.

Again, I have been misunderstood...
Have we read the WHOLE thread here? As I mentioned to AZB, my friend said the same thing tht he did...that I could find a house for much less than 30,000.
What he basically said was if I was considering paying 30,000pesos for transportation I could get a house in Santiago...
I have seen many houses on the internet for 20,000-25,000 that he will not go look at for me because he says that I can get one for less.

My words are being misunderstood, but I will withstand the frustration because we are WRITING here and that can happen.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
if you keep looking into 20-30k range, you will only find houses in that range. if you look in 10-15k range, you will find in that range as well. i am surprised how people can't find houses in the lower range in nice areas? i pay 6,500 pesos / month, in neighborhood called pariaso. Nice residential area, 3 bedroom and a huge backyard, 3 car parking with closed gate. So if I can find it why can't you? its just people come here speaking english and acting like a foreigner, don't do their homework, thus, play the role of a perfect victim. Of course the real estate agent will show you nothing but 30k range houses if that is what you plant in their minds from the beginning.
Please do your homework right, learn spanish and find real friends in santiago who know how to help you. Anyone can find a 30k house in santiago, you need a friend who can get you the same house for 15k.
AZB

Thanks...actually my friend WAS telling me the same thing last night. He is a graphic designer and meets alot of people eveyday and told me that he would be looking very hard for me so as I can live comfortably without breaking the bank...
I know spanish (on an middle to intermediate level) and I am very good at playing the role of Dominicana...when it is needed
I do not have a real estate agent.

My words were misunderstood at the beginning of my post, thank you...
Now that we all know that I HAVE NOT been recommended to pay 30,000 pesos for a house...more suggestions on areas will be nice...

Thanks Everybody!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So what is wrong with the International school in Sosua?

I know absolutely nothing about Sosua...sorry.
I am going to the Santiago area...wherever I may end up! The private schools in Santiago are good, some better than others.
This has been reported by many DR1ers before me, alot who had not so nice things to say about some of the private schools....
But apparently if I say it, I am bashing the whole DR private school system which was not my intention.
The schools that I have chosen for my children came after touring ad nauseum, reading threads here on schools, and some good ol' fashioned advice from a DR1er that I respect highly
I am VERY happy with the choices that I made as I want to make sure that my children (if it is their desire), have the ability to attend a US university when they graduate....

I think that I have heard the International School in Sosua mentioned before, you could do a search but personally...I have no idea:ermm:

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
Simple solutions are best

SKing,

I read, with interest, this thread -- having moved here about two years ago with three non bi-lingual American, school-aged kids.

My oldest was home-schooled his whole life and was technically done with high school when we arrived. He is headed for Univ of Calif, Santa Barbara this summer. He is now 90% fluent in Spanish. However, I insisted that he sign up for a real Spanish class so that they can remove the calle from his grammar.

The other two are in a bilingual school in San Pedro. They have only been there for this past academic year. The older is 13; the younger 10. They have a Spanish tutor for 2 hours per day after school M-Th. She tutors mostly through assisting them with their homework in their Spanish-based classes. It has worked reasonably well. My youngest has achieved a sufficient level of Spanish for the playground and for some classes. However, other classes (like social studies and religion) are still quite challenging for him. My 13 year old has made far less effort in learning Spanish and he is still struggling in many classes (but getting 95-100 in the English-based classes). This is in part because they both have many bilingual friends, who tend to talk in English most of the time.

The point of all this is that I am sure your kids will master Spanish well but it will not be overnight when it comes to their classwork. If that is the case, you may need some extra Spanish help (e.g. a tutor) and that may further complicate your commutes.

I see you have received plenty of advice from well-meaning people (well some of them, at least) but I would like to offer the simple answer. You need to live close to the school. If you are set on the school you chose then you need to live in Santiago. If the location of your home is what is most important then your kids should attend a different school. In addition to classes they will make friends and you don't want to limit their ability to have play dates with their school mates. There will be school performances and events that will be harder to attend if you are not conveniently located to the school. I could go on but I hope I have made my point.

If you really did all the research you say (I am not doubting you at all) then you are a very thoughtful parent. I am sure you will make the right choices for your family -- but I wanted to give my thoughts.

Best of luck!!

Jim

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
SKing,

I read, with interest, this thread -- having moved here about two years ago with three non bi-lingual American, school-aged kids.

My oldest was home-schooled his whole life and was technically done with high school when we arrived. He is headed for Univ of Calif, Santa Barbara this summer. He is now 90% fluent in Spanish. However, I insisted that he sign up for a real Spanish class so that they can remove the calle from his grammar.

The other two are in a bilingual school in San Pedro. They have only been there for this past academic year. The older is 13; the younger 10. They have a Spanish tutor for 2 hours per day after school M-Th. She tutors mostly through assisting them with their homework in their Spanish-based classes. It has worked reasonably well. My youngest has achieved a sufficient level of Spanish for the playground and for some classes. However, other classes (like social studies and religion) are still quite challenging for him. My 13 year old has made far less effort in learning Spanish and he is still struggling in many classes (but getting 95-100 in the English-based classes). This is in part because they both have many bilingual friends, who tend to talk in English most of the time.

The point of all this is that I am sure your kids will master Spanish well but it will not be overnight when it comes to their classwork. If that is the case, you may need some extra Spanish help (e.g. a tutor) and that may further complicate your commutes.

I see you have received plenty of advice from well-meaning people (well some of them, at least) but I would like to offer the simple answer. You need to live close to the school. If you are set on the school you chose then you need to live in Santiago. If the location of your home is what is most important then your kids should attend a different school. In addition to classes they will make friends and you don't want to limit their ability to have play dates with their school mates. There will be school performances and events that will be harder to attend if you are not conveniently located to the school. I could go on but I hope I have made my point.

If you really did all the research you say (I am not doubting you at all) then you are a very thoughtful parent. I am sure you will make the right choices for your family -- but I wanted to give my thoughts.

Best of luck!!

Jim

Thank You so much, Jim! I have been thinking alot about that alot lately.
I think that I was so enamored with Sajoma (if you can be enamored with a place) that I completely let the inconvenience of it all just fly right over my head...
So, we are headed to Santiago and I think that we will definitely be getting a tutor for their spanish classes, especially for my 14 year old.
It's so good to hear how your kids are doing so well....I have hope:cheeky:
I will also be looking into outside of school activities, hopefully with children that don't speak english;)
If you hear of anything in the Santiago area, let me know...
I will keep everyone up to date......
I am a such a worrywart though

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

Sorry, but as a graduate of one of the best prep schools in the USA your assertion couldn't be more wrong.:ermm:

You are so out of line with your information it makes me sick.

You can say what you want about public schools I don't care, but private schools in the DR can't hold a candle to the best in the Northeast.

Phillips Exeter, Phillips Academy Andover, Northfield Mount Hermon, Choate-Rosemary Hall...puleeeze. I don't think so in a million years.

You are officially out of your mind.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Sorry, but as a graduate of one of the best prep schools in the USA your assertion couldn't be more wrong.:ermm:

You can say what you want about public schools I don't care, but private schools in the DR can't hold a candle to the best in the Northeast.

Phillips Exeter, Phillips Academy Andover, Northfield Mount Hermon, Choate-Rosemary Hall...puleeeze. I don't think so in a million years.

Thanks to someone for speaking up...
I was not trying to degrade DR schools at all so I think that that person took me the wrong way.
The point was and still is...I would not put my children behind a grade in a 3rd world country....I mean, would anybody???

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
PLEASE tell me where? Because I have been looking and all I see is between 20,000 and 30,000 pesos. I need 4 bedrooms because my kids are accustomed to their own bedrooms. They are excited about moving and now that I have good schools for them, it would just be a fact of finding a good neighborhood.

In Reparto Universitario, El Embrujo I, II, III, La Moraleja, El Despertar, etc...
Don't use the RE agents, just hop on a car and drive into the repartos to look for the "for rent" signages in the homes...

Plenty available in that price... In a nice setting 20,000 is the going rate...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

HMMMMM... Sorry to burst your TOP PREP school tripo, but kids attending Dominican private schools are MORE knowledgeable of world history, geography, math, etc... Than the "it" prep schools you just mentioned...

The problem with education is that students are 99% input of the outcome of any instruction by schools, just as the preps you just listed above...

You can't compare both instructions due to the fact that the prep schools you listed do just that, ?prep the students for US college instruction?.

The DR's private schools prep the students to be able to continue instruction in ANY country under any educational system...

I speak to you from experience...

Now, list some Ivy prep schools in the US and let?s have a chat in another thread...