Here's where you say...WE TOLD U SO!!!

May 31, 2005
Lets not hijack this thread Pichardo.. Let Berzin and Sking think what they want. I still stand by my opinion. I don't care if they agree or not. But thanks Pichardo for speaking up as well. You don't know how many times I have spoken to my nephews (that attend the best private schools in conneticut) and the curriculum that they follow is not as demanding as the ones in the better Dominican Republic private schools.

May 31, 2005
Anyway, this thread is about Sking and her moving to Santiago. Sorry Sking for taking your comment the wrong way but that is the way that it sounds when I read it.

If I were you, I would move to Santiago.. If you don't do it now, I can almost guarantee that you will do so later when the children are older. So, why wait?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Anyway, this thread is about Sking and her moving to Santiago. Sorry Sking for taking your comment the wrong way but that is the way that it sounds when I read it.

If I were you, I would move to Santiago.. If you don't do it now, I can almost guarantee that you will do so later when the children are older. So, why wait?

Yeah, I realize that now.

No luck on the house hunt...very difficult as I am here in the US and my friend is working during the day there.
Super Casas...all of the rentals (houses) are 20,000 pesos and up
The other websites also...
The newspapers don't have much online...some don't even have a classified section online....

Not sure what to do...don't have much time...will keep the house in Sajoma until I have something for certain in Santiago...
Also have been googling activities for children in Santiago and not coming up with much...I think I will just have to wait until I get there.

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006

SKing,

Perhaps your first lesson for moving here is to learn not to pay attention to the prices. Everything here is negotiable. If you find a home you like advertised for RD$20,000 just offer something less. If you are happy paying RD$16,000 a month then offer 13K or 14K and see what happens.

While it is true here in Juan Dolio that someone would rather leave their place unrented for a year or two waiting for the price they want, that is not a universal truth in the DR. Make an offer to whomever posted the ad. Negotiate a little. Offer to pay for a full 6 months up front and see if that improves your rate.

Good luck. I wish I knew people in Santiago that could help you but I really only know south coast people.

Jim

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
SKing,

Perhaps your first lesson for moving here is to learn not to pay attention to the prices. Everything here is negotiable. If you find a home you like advertised for RD$20,000 just offer something less. If you are happy paying RD$16,000 a month then offer 13K or 14K and see what happens.

While it is true here in Juan Dolio that someone would rather leave their place unrented for a year or two waiting for the price they want, that is not a universal truth in the DR. Make an offer to whomever posted the ad. Negotiate a little. Offer to pay for a full 6 months up front and see if that improves your rate.

Good luck. I wish I knew people in Santiago that could help you but I really only know south coast people.

Jim

Thanks so much for the advice, I will try that and see what happens. I had planned to pay the year upfront in August wherever I went, so maybe that WILL give me a little leverage.

I found lots of good stuff for kids now...I searched the DR1 threads!!!

May 31, 2005
Yeah, I realize that now.

No luck on the house hunt...very difficult as I am here in the US and my friend is working during the day there.
The other websites also...
The newspapers don't have much online...some don't even have a classified section online....

Not sure what to do...don't have much time...will keep the house in Sajoma until I have something for certain in Santiago...
Also have been googling activities for children in Santiago and not coming up with much...I think I will just have to wait until I get there.

It is also better once you get there. There are way more units available from word of mouth than from supercasas.com. When you get to the DR you will see that there are far more better and affordable options that are not on supercasas.com

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I think that that may have to be the case because I am seeing NOTHING short of 20,000RD per month.
Although my friend is not doing any jobs today so that he can drive around and look....hopefully he wil see something.
I am not very picky, but I also want to live comfortably, you know?
I thought that I had hit the Jackpot in Sajoma, if it was just a little closer...

It is also better once you get there. There are way more units available from word of mouth than from supercasas.com. When you get to the DR you will see that there are far more better and affordable options that are not on supercasas.com