Hip Replacement Surgery

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Don't know about other cities but SD has several rehap centers. people that I know have used them were very happy. Don't know about hip replacement but know a couple with knee replacements done at Abreu that were pleased with both the operation an rehab they received.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Rehap in the DR is drinking Brugal while playing dominoes.

Wrong.

That is saved specifically for hurricane season.

To be in subject, I would do hips in the DR. Many good surgeons and hospitals in SDQ

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Try Dr. Servio De Peña Rojas also from Abel Gonzalez on Lincoln. Hes good and fixed my daughters leg. He treats the DR rich and famous which is a good sign

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Not as bad than as some people might think

Any ideas or suggestions? My insurance is US based, but I thought I'd price out the RD version.
Hi,

many foreigners come to the DR to do this type of surgery in the DR.
Cedimat for example is a clinic that does not has to fear any US Competition and the price is a fraction of what you would pay in the US.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Try Dr. Servio De Peña Rojas also from Abel Gonzalez on Lincoln. Hes good and fixed my daughters leg. He treats the DR rich and famous which is a good sign

He also has an office in Clinica Abreu. First door on the right when you walk in the front door. He's operated on me as well.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Hi,

many foreigners come to the DR to do this type of surgery in the DR.
Cedimat for example is a clinic that does not has to fear any US Competition and the price is a fraction of what you would pay in the US.

I had a HIFU prostate treatment in Cedimat. Cost was less than half what it runs in the US. In and out the same day. Done by Dr. Cruz Pineda. (Urologist)

It's the only place you can get it done in the Caribbean.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Agree with expat in cab. A bone infection following knee or hip surgery is a health nightmare you may or may not recover from.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Not an everyday poster here...like many. But I have to wonder why a good number of regular posters remain in the country? Negative thread after negative thread. I just had 2 friends get hip replacements within the month here...one a double replacement. He is doing fine and the other going through rehab. Personally I have nothing but good experience in hospitals for the limited issues I have gone in for...including that of my young daughters.

Sometimes I wonder is this is simply a forum for grumpy cynical people. Never seem to be happy with anything.

Sep 4, 2012
Not an everyday poster here...like many. But I have to wonder why a good number of regular posters remain in the country? Negative thread after negative thread. I just had 2 friends get hip replacements within the month here...one a double replacement. He is doing fine and the other going through rehab. Personally I have nothing but good experience in hospitals for the limited issues I have gone in for...including that of my young daughters.

Sometimes I wonder is this is simply a forum for grumpy cynical people. Never seem to be happy with anything.

Tell me it ain't so?

Right on!

I'll trust many Dominican medical facilities to perform any procedures on me without any hesitation at all.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Agreed. This being a major operation, you need an expert, i.e a very experienced surgeon. Had one hip replaced in Canada in 2014. Pain went away. Then physio and follow ups. Too many things can go wrong, one of them being infection. If something goes wrong, then you could be crippled for the rest of your life. Find the best surgeon is my recommendation and do everything that he tells you to do.
Ummm. Your wrong. My ball part of the femur was broken completely off during a Rally Frontera in Costanza and my insurance company arranged for me to fly out in first class the next day. The pain was not intolerable. The Drs. at Juan Bosch trauma center recommended I get it done in the USA. Just because you had two successful operations doesnt mean someone who can get it done in the USA should do it here. There are lots of potential complications with this surgery as you know. Also when I had mine, I had the relatively new surgery where it is replaced through the front, so there is no rehabilitation as no muscles are cut. I was back at work at Barrick within 7 days. I dont believe that surgery could have been done in the DR IMHO.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

some guys will never be happy anywhere. their problem is that they think that where they are is the negative. they don't realize that it is them.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
JDfriend, # 35:
......."Find the best surgeon is my recommendation and do everything that he tells you to do."

It's very important. I follow the
recommendations of the physician consistently and it works
every day better (operation of medial femoral neck fracture and implantation of a new
hip) Mid-July 2018
It will still take some time until I ride my bike, for example.
But I can walk without crutches, work in the garden,
swim .
Patience is called for, "the grass does not grow faster,
if you pull on it."

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
some guys will never be happy anywhere. their problem is that they think that where they are is the negative. they don't realize that it is them.

There are guy who could be in the Playboy Jacuzzi full of girls and complain about the temperature of the water.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
My father had hip surgery here in PP and it ended up wrong size and caused infection. It took 9hr surgery to take it back out in the US, and put a temporary in, and then put a permanent in. I would only have this done at HOMS or best hospital in Sto Dgo, if at all here in DR

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
If you have health insurance, why would you go to a third world country to get major surgery? While there are some really good doctors in DR, they don't practice hygiene like in developed countries. Even then, infections are rampant. Go to the US and get the surgery. Something goes wrong you can file a claim and get enough money to be taken care off. In DR, it gopes wrong, you are screwed!

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Ok,- here it comes,----- I not only have had one hip replaced in the DR,- I have had 2! And I was a registered nurse in my working life. So I understand medicine.

I fractured the first hip when I tripped over my puppy. I got a hip replacement in Santa Domingo at Plaza De Salud. Then a year later my other hip just collapsed due to severe osteoporosis. I got that hip replaced at HOMS in Santiago.

If you have a fractured hip you will be operated on here unless you have insurance to cover a medivac as you could never tolerate a regular flight. You are in severe pain and you cannot walk!

My surgeries were successful,- I would send any member of my family to either surgeon. I have also had 2 cataract surgeries and a face lift. May husband was in the ICU at Cedimat in SD for 7 days and they literally saved his life.

If you want to get treated in the USA or your country of origin you have the right to do that but I resent people making blanket statements that you should go elsewhere for your medical needs.

You got lucky Purlavik. At the "plaza de salud? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.