Hiring a Maid and social security...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I can only speak about my in-laws.

Well the cooking is a given in a Dominican home, and keep the kitchen spotless. Demand food presentation to their tastes. And all the other stuff you mentioned. They do the laundry, hang out clothing, take in when dry [assuming no dryer], iron and put away. They sweep and mop inside and outside, often more than once a day. Moving the furniture to clean under is expected and done. Clean windows. Make beds and change sheets frequently. They call out to her to bring them something specific to drink. They send them to the colmado to buy things. Depending on the family, they're often treated as invisible and not a lot of respect is shown or given to the maid.

Yes, the cooking.

That is probably why the restaurants are so poor here and the palate so bland,, because everyone is just used to campesino cooking, no one reads a cook book and tries out new recipies. But neither here nor there.. as I said, I do like to cook.

I guess my standards are just lower. I can do with a mopping twice a week and a sweeping in between if I get energetic. But there is just me and the dog, not a housefull of kids who are tracking in and out.

I call the colmado to bring stuff. Only send her out when it is something specific like a part for the blender or something like that. She does move the furniture. But does not wait til the clothes are dry. I put them away and leave the stuff for her to iron the next time. Leave the sheets for her to fold and put away.. they are hung in the cuarto so they do not bother me for a couple of days.

I think perhaps it is part about "treated as invisible and not a lot of respect" .

There is probably a real class divide here that we don't have so much in the States. I mean, I have worked as a cleaner when I needed money (ok, I CAN do it but I just hate it) Lots of my friends have worked as waitresses, flipping burgers, at Dunkin Donuts, whatever it takes. No shame in it and it does not affect our self esteem.

But here, I think that it would be a lot different.

Here, almost everyone in the middle class has a servant. Not all of my neighbors do but And yes, there is something in that word as well. I call mine a worker, a trabadora. not a muchacha.. since she has kids who have graduated from high school. Even "maid" is a bit wierd to me as it sounds like something out of "Upstairs Downstairs" with helping me get into an evening dress and all that. But I do think that a lot of upper class Dominicans live more in that world than in the one I am used to -- believing perhaps that there is something inherently better between themselves and the maid. That is certainly true in probably the majority of cultures in the world. Guess it is just that you can take the American out of America but you can't take.. etc..

And we use the "tu" form with each other which I do not think she would actually do with a Dominican. But I think that I have made it clear that I really appreciate her and value her.

I always ask about her kids, her family, her life. Stuff like that. Plus if I am making coffee or a sandwich I ask her and make one for her.. which I guess would be the exact opposite of the way things would be done in a Dominican house and classified as "spoiled" but it is just normal for me. I suppose I could take the time to teach her to make a perfect BLT but how much work is that for me when she is the one who cleans the pan?

Plus, I always say "thank you for your work" when she leaves and often tell her how much I appreciate her.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And we use the "tu" form with each other which I do not think she would actually do with a Dominican. But I think that I have made it clear that I really appreciate her and value her.

Plus, I always say "thank you for your work" when she leaves and often tell her how much I appreciate her.

No housekeeper would use "tu" with a Dominican. Always Ud. Always Dona, or Patrona.

And a whopper difference I see is that I believe many Dominicans consider the maid should appreciate them, not the other way around.

Again, the cultural difference/norm is vastly different in DR from what is it in US, Canada, etc.

I'm not being critical of you Annie, even though I've been in DR for a lonnnggggg time I have not gone native :) I sit and talk with our housekeeper, and if she's shucking guandules she picked on our property I sit down and lend a hand, for example. But I'm still Dona to her and she's very protective of me. She won't leave to go home if Mr. AE is down the road somewhere. We have an odd sort of friendship.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I am against having a full time maid.........

1. I am never satisfied with the quality of the work ( but this is campo, I guess in town it is diffrent ). If I have to spend time explaining how I want it done all the time, I am better off doing it myself ( well ourselfs, well ok my wife does it.....).

2. The look on peoples faces, the rare times we "entertain", and before a coffee, a cigar and some liquor, I excuse myself from the table and do the washing up.........

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
There is probably a real class divide here that we don't have so much in the States. I mean, I have worked as a cleaner when I needed money (ok, I CAN do it but I just hate it) Lots of my friends have worked as waitresses, flipping burgers, at Dunkin Donuts, whatever it takes. No shame in it and it does not affect our self esteem.

Uhmmm, unfortunately, Annie, times have changed.... At Dunkin' doughnuts, flipping burgers and cleaners are held by immigrants in NYC. I don't seem to see a middle class kid (such as yourself) cleaning in someone's house in NYC. Even the white liberals living in Harlem have black and/or immigrant nannies LOL (yeah, they might have a college student for afterschool pick up and stuff, but their cleaners and full time nannies are not their friends kids ;) ). Waitressing job are a little different cause you can make decent money and you have to interact more with clients.

There IS a divide, but different.

Sorry to hijack the thread Mike :)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
OK, back to the thread then ;)

Despite we will work both we do not require her to cook. Just cleaning the house 3 times a week, babysit sometimes and doing the laundry. Guess no "high end" staff needed for that...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OK, back to the thread then ;)

Despite we will work both we do not require her to cook. Just cleaning the house 3 times a week, babysit sometimes and doing the laundry. Guess no "high end" staff needed for that...

Your partner is a Dominicana, right? Have her ask at work about the going pay in Higuey before you even begin looking for anyone. Maybe someone she works has a maid they can recommend to you - or their maid know someone.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes. Dominicana. No. She will work with me online from home. We both know nobody in Higuey.

But we got a recommendation from the owner of 2 large furniture / electronics stores who lives in the same residencial area. Serious people so I will try that.

Apr 13, 2011
I will say this, having a maid (I usually say service lady) is such a luxury, especially for someone like me who grew up, and still is, middle class...
We recently moved and do not have a service lady at this time - and I must say that it is a luxury that is very much missed... she can watch the kids when you need to run to the store - or when you want a night out with the wife...
And when I worked from home... she would bring me cafe in the morning... she would let me know food was ready for lunch and dinner if head was buried in the computer doing work... Without her, the laundry piles up longer before we can get to it, the dust builds builds up because we can not get to it as often... and a bunch of other things...
Having a service lady is still something that I consider a luxury not a necessity, but having a service lady is a very nice luxury to have.
I knew people in NYC that used Nannies or had a cleaning person come in once or twice a week - but that is a luxury that I never experienced until I came to the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Housekeeper - Cleaning lady is another word to use.....

maid is a bit...... declasse (Fr).... ask MA for more clarification or synonyms

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We go by "AE's" dominican family rules!!!!!!!
Except no cooking, my "MIL" does a FINE JOB with that!
Since there are 8 of us here, there is a LOT of work to get done!!!
Washing & ironing is daunting. We have two washing machines.
Right now we have 2 Haitian "SERVANTS", how's THAT "William"??????
They alternate, 3 days each.
The older UNBELIEVABLE maid gets 5,000 a month, the younger, "Mouth Breather" gets 4,000 a month, up from 3,500 least month.
Neither get transportation, and neither sleeps here.
They start at 8 am, and often don't finish work until 6pm, or later.
We are "Civil" to them, but they are NOT "Friends" or "Family" for us.
You want a "Friend" get a dog.
This is the DR, the better you treat a maid, the worse the service you will get, and it will keep getting worse!
Medical insurance,& social security are not in the cards in this house!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps.,,,,,, Haitian maids can clean rings around "Dominicanas"!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Servants -- is fine..... for you 'Castle Born' people

Rural Canadians like me----- Housekeeper....

No Chiri... they do not assist Executives..... they polish floors and shine silver and scrub dishes

Cinderella, Cinderella----- where are you ?????
(Cindyrella for the mouse people)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
We go by "AE's" dominican family rules!!!!!!!
Except no cooking, my "MIL" does a FINE JOB with that!
Since there are 8 of us here, there is a LOT of work to get done!!!
Washing & ironing is daunting. We have two washing machines.
Right now we have 2 Haitian "SERVANTS", how's THAT "William"??????
They alternate, 3 days each.
The older UNBELIEVABLE maid gets 5,000 a month, the younger, "Mouth Breather" gets 4,000 a month, up from 3,500 least month.
Neither get transportation, and neither sleeps here.
They start at 8 am, and often don't finish work until 6pm, or later.
We are "Civil" to them, but they are NOT "Friends" or "Family" for us.
You want a "Friend" get a dog.
This is the DR, the better you treat a maid, the worse the service you will get, and it will keep getting worse!
Medical insurance,& social security are not in the cards in this house!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps.,,,,,, Haitian maids can clean rings around "Dominicanas"!

You are more Domican aka Aplatanado than Chip will ever be.
That's the proof :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
8K pesos a month for 2 days of work sounds like a lot to me.

I pay the lady which does everything you listed and more (since I have 2 kids), 500 pesos per day (3000 pesos a week), and every single Dominican told me that I am overpaying her (but I think it is fair since I am there for short amount of times).

In fact, I was once told by a Dominican that they will never hire someone who has worked for foreigners for these reasons: overpaid and even lazy.

The rate MA listed seem pretty excessive for what I know people pay. We pay our maid ( not really our- my mother-in-laws ) 5000 per month plus medical insurance. She doesn't live there and she works from 0730 morning until around 5 pm, sometimes later. She works 5.5 days per week and eats whatever meals and coffee she wants. She can take whatever time she needs to deal with family or medical issues but she's not very needy. She has worked for us for about five years now.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Like Annie I overpay mine and dont really care. Wouldnt dare changing her to save a few pesos.
She lives in San Cristobal so she has to spend some $ to get to my house in SD.

1100 for 1 day of work, once a week, do everything including cooking. usually get here at 8 leave at 5-6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Like Annie I overpay mine and dont really care. Wouldnt dare changing her to save a few pesos.
She lives in San Cristobal so she has to spend some $ to get to my house in SD.

1100 for 1 day of work, once a week, do everything including cooking. usually get here at 8 leave at 5-6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that's not overpaying. She is spending 400 pesos in transport probably. 700 pesos per day for a maid you have only once a week is not overpaying, that's the normal rate. (for 1 or 2 times a week).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I guess that we have sorted it out that maids are more expensive in SD.. unless you work for CCCCC.

I don't consider my cleaner a "friend" really. I think that we are pretty clear on the fact that I am the employer.

But, yes, unlike Dominicans, I am not La Patrona - hard to even imagine that, what does it mean? Sometimes, I will admit that I do secretly aspire to Dona *with that mark over the N which I cannot figure out how to type..

but in my heart i am still a hippie.

I certainly do not feel that she needs to be grateful to me. Everybody has their work, everyone does their job. If they do it well, then they are really worth a lot.

I am like that with everyone that does work for me. The Haitian guy who fixes everything, the two taxi drivers.

When I ask how much I owe, they usually say "anything you want" knowing full well that I will pay more than their asking price.

I am actually saving money since I have stopped giving money to the various NGOs who are supposed to be in the business of stopping poverty.

Once again, time for one of my favorite songs. .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1vGM6VOcRk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the employee/friend thing is a very fine line.... especially if living in

those who are unfamiliar can easily make mistakes and step over the not so imaginary line.
try not to do that...... trouble lurks from there

my family's 'woman' (CCC take note) is a 45 yr veteran - service not age.... she's almost 80.... a live in... knows the family's in/outs better than we do:chinese:

my mother's dead..... this woman tended to her until her death and during
she visited for lunch the other day b/c my daughters were here -- she has known them since birth

no confusion about who's who...... but still part of the family

complicada, la vida

we should move on......back to the original questions