Hiring a Maid and social security...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I do not pay anything into SS or give medical insurance. I do not think it is obligatory for domestic workers.. at least that is what I have heard and what seems to be the case from what Dr Guzman posted. I do give the 13 month salary at Christmas and two paid free days.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i have had alot of exp.w/maids...lol...my last dom. one turned out to be very expensive or costly...lol...enjoyable cant say that without a grin...it just took me awhile to get the concept of everything off the floor...sweep and mop...i told her many times not to touch my stuff on the floor but she would cry...then it took much longer to do the floor as i had too put all up off the floor..tools equip., shoes, etc...stuff under the bed etc... price as i was paying monthly or bi monthly i thought it was a bargain...and she thought it was great...food no mconcho, extras, day off.. t.v. internet...friend/family over once in a while...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yes, there can be issues. My last one liked to have things really "looking" clean and would just sweep things into drawers whereever, despite my asking her time and again to just stack the papers. I found my press pass in the wicker hassock one time and confronted her. How would I ever think to look there for it? She had to agree. Did not stop her, though.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I do not pay anything into SS or give medical insurance. I do not think it is obligatory for domestic workers.. at least that is what I have heard and what seems to be the case from what Dr Guzman posted. I do give the 13 month salary at Christmas and two paid free days.

I would think a generous soul like yourself would offer medical.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if you do not pay the insurance.... next thing you know she will borrow money for medical care when she needs an operation or whatever.

Pick your poison.....
or as the old commercial reminded us

Pay me now or Pay me later........

I have done it both ways - financed the medical care and then went to insurance...
the school of soft knocks:tired:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
im a hardliner here....no advance on wages here from me...i give them advice, maybe an extra day ,,then how am i going to get $ back...i dont comprende....before u came to me you were not working now u are and six months later evan a bonus, birthday gift small presents ...and then to get another one...never as good...if i had a young one!!!!!!!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
hiring a maid....first you need a dominican male friend to translate...then you post ads , buy a classified and wait...(costs are going up) your lunch bill doubled... then u have to make arrangements to collect them at the bus/center of town etc...i have agreed to pay r/t concho many time...ah! sometimes they want to meet at supermkt and u have to ask if they want something...ah! 3 lunches...have to be flexible with pay... ah! then u find out she married ah! sorry you say u need her when she cant work ,,, bye....another interview tomorrow, one in the am and 1 in the pm...the afternoon one has sent a bikini pic...but can she clean and cook .....??? might take 3-4 weeks to find one. but u should keep all thoses #s...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
hiring a maid....first you need a dominican male friend to translate...then you post ads , buy a classified and wait...(costs are going up) your lunch bill doubled... then u have to make arrangements to collect them at the bus/center of town etc...i have agreed to pay r/t concho many time...ah! sometimes they want to meet at supermkt and u have to ask if they want something...ah! 3 lunches...have to be flexible with pay... ah! then u find out she married ah! sorry you say u need her when she cant work ,,, bye....another interview tomorrow, one in the am and 1 in the pm...the afternoon one has sent a bikini pic...but can she clean and cook .....??? might take 3-4 weeks to find one. but u should keep all thoses #s...

Where is that dr1 help/support group when it is in need ??? Quiccckkkk.........

Wegman

Aug 31, 2014
Hi, I am building a house in LT and it will be done in Nov. We will be looking for a live in caretakers. We are hoping for a couple, with the man maintaining the grounds and providing security and the wife to be the housekeeper. We are looking for ones that are a bit older so they have no children living with them. Can any of you provide advice on best way to source them and check references since we don't speak spanish much at all? What do people pay for live-in caretakers? Any advice is welcome.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
get a young couple and then they have babies and you have a hacienda/compound. plus build a larger than you thing of house...friends etc...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hi, I am building a house in LT and it will be done in Nov. We will be looking for a live in caretakers. We are hoping for a couple, with the man maintaining the grounds and providing security and the wife to be the housekeeper. We are looking for ones that are a bit older so they have no children living with them. Can any of you provide advice on best way to source them and check references since we don't speak spanish much at all? What do people pay for live-in caretakers? Any advice is welcome.

I would a recommendation from other expats in the area. French would help.
Good luck !

Note: it is not uncommon for older couple to raise grandkids.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Live-In Staff

We will be looking for a live in caretakers.

I'd rather not jump at that decision.
If you choose the wrong people you'll have a problem after 3 months... ;)
Live-ins can become quite a nuisance after some time... :tired:

Get references (a lot of French employ Haitians* and are content with them) and employ a couple on a trial basis
(no live-ins).

You can start with a pay of 4,000RD$.

donP

*)
I for one have had good experiences with Haitians, not so with Dominicans.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
We found a live-in help, from the countryside where my ladies mom originates from. 10K DOP a month. In her fifties, appears to be a very nice person. Looks like a good deal for both sides.

Why my GF did not want to hire that 20 y/o with the nice -nevermind- is beyond me though... :D

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We found a live-in help, from the countryside where my ladies mom originates from. 10K DOP a month. In her fifties, appears to be a very nice person. Looks like a good deal for both sides.

Why my GF did not want to hire that 20 y/o with the nice -nevermind- is beyond me though... :D

Mike, our housekeeper is in her mid 50's too, best thing we ever did. Honest, hardworking, and protective of us.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Does that mean I don't have to get the dogs? ;)

Haha, the visual of our maid with a sash of bullets slung over her shoulder and a rifle in her hands made me laugh out loud.

When I say protective, I mean she steps in to help hire help we need with this or that - even though my husband is Dominican, he's subject to the gringo price because he's lived in the US for 40 years. She knows the going rates and makes sure we get them. She's particularly protective of me, it's almost funny how she will not leave the house to go out to the property for anything while my husband is out somewhere [down to the beach for a swim, over to the ferreteria, etc.], as if there are bandits hiding in the trees, ready to swoop down. I joke, but it is a nice feeling.

She's a busy-body, knows everyone for miles around, and is quick to warn us if someone is "no-good".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
thats exactly what happens... good warning system

I send him or her on all the errands - better prices, everything better

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013

My stepfather would of love to take on this job. Too bad he is in florida now :(