Hiring Expats for Work From Home M-F

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I think this has gone a little strange, remember where you live. Jumping on someone because they are possibly not paying tax, hiring illegals is a bit pointless, the Republic is full of people who set up here to avoid all the legalities they may need to pay in a modern world. Good for you guys who have dome it all the right legal way, but not doing things by the book is hardly crime of the century here. I worked in lots of call centres over the years, legally and illegally, I never worked in one that dd not employ illegals of some description. You are aware where you are living? people relocate here for these reasons, get over it.
The biggest issue here is the wage on offer, but this is his offering and the employees choice to take up the job. It is a joke, and well below the minimum offering for ALL job centres, even those where the employees struggle to speak english.
Seems a lot of drama over nothing out of the ordinary (again, other than wage).

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
last center I had any contact with, and that was 3 years ago, they handled inbound calls for Medicare, Medicaid, and paid 110RD an hour for 40HR week plus bonus for showing up every day, another bonus for excellent rating. and that was using their equipment, their cafeteria, and their transport. Plus they offered health insurance, and paid into the AFP, also had an inhouse lawyer to aid in getting residency so that you were legal. Now this was a whole lot more than your paying or offering. The question on the incorporation, and legality of this business are quite legitimate.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think this has gone a little strange, remember where you live. Jumping on someone because they are possibly not paying tax, hiring illegals is a bit pointless, the Republic is full of people who set up here to avoid all the legalities they may need to pay in a modern world. Good for you guys who have dome it all the right legal way, but not doing things by the book is hardly crime of the century here. I worked in lots of call centres over the years, legally and illegally, I never worked in one that dd not employ illegals of some description. You are aware where you are living? people relocate here for these reasons, get over it.
The biggest issue here is the wage on offer, but this is his offering and the employees choice to take up the job. It is a joke, and well below the minimum offering for ALL job centres, even those where the employees struggle to speak english.
Seems a lot of drama over nothing out of the ordinary (again, other than wage).
If you want to clean up the country, you'd support legal organization.

Otherwise you're asking for more scum coming in.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If you want to clean up the country, you'd support legal organization.

Otherwise you're asking for more scum coming in.

I appreciate that, but you start somewhere, and small business is not the starting point for cleaning up this mess. If you really want to do something then try and organize a visit to any one of the call centres around Santo Domingo and you will find illegal workers there, Brits, Yanks, Cans, Haitians. Bitching on a website is nothing more, gets nothing done, nothing changed. So you've proved a point, now what?
If you want to 'clean up the country' then I reckon a step further than putting down some small time crappy little web operation on DR1 is needed.
Don't get me wrong, I think his offerings are pathetic, but come on, what is being accomplished? Zilch, that's what!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It's clear to me that enlightened1 is having a wonderful time with this thread. Each time he throws out a little meat you jump on it like it was a juicy steak and give him a few more rants to laugh about.

Keep it up, you are making enlightened1's day.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
It's clear to me that enlightened1 is having a wonderful time with this thread. Each time he throws out a little meat you jump on it like it was a juicy steak and give him a few more rants to laugh about.

Keep it up, you are making enlightened1's day.
Different strokes for different folks. People get worked up over different things. Some resent people who do business illegally, others resent people who steal their percales. Different people with different priorities. BTW, did those sheets ever turn up?
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/56600-please-help-us-contact-michael-john.html

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I appreciate that, but you start somewhere, and small business is not the starting point for cleaning up this mess. If you really want to do something then try and organize a visit to any one of the call centres around Santo Domingo and you will find illegal workers there, Brits, Yanks, Cans, Haitians. Bitching on a website is nothing more, gets nothing done, nothing changed. So you've proved a point, now what?
If you want to 'clean up the country' then I reckon a step further than putting down some small time crappy little web operation on DR1 is needed.
Don't get me wrong, I think his offerings are pathetic, but come on, what is being accomplished? Zilch, that's what!!
Anas, I want you to get a lawyer and go through the legal steps of incorporation, hiring and reporting employees, hiring an approved accountant, paying taxes and paying annual corporate fees.

Then come back and tell me how this guy deserves a free pass.

Letting the little guy off the hook because there are bigger, more corrupt guys is NOT the way to clean things up.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
count the nickels and the dollars will look after themselves.... applies in many cases

PeeWees and midgets drive things...... not always the giants

Catch my drift, SnowFlake??

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Anas, I want you to get a lawyer and go through the legal steps of incorporation, hiring and reporting employees, hiring an approved accountant, paying taxes and paying annual corporate fees.

Then come back and tell me how this guy deserves a free pass.

Letting the little guy off the hook because there are bigger, more corrupt guys is NOT the way to clean things up.

Well there you have it. I have made my point and I accept the country is full of it, nothing I can do or would want to do would make any difference, I've had my full of the crap in the Republic and am dusted with trying to make any difference, it is what it is and that is why it attracts a certain people, and I decided to leave.
You are complaining on DR1, why? If you are this motivated to prevent illegal operations then do something about it. It is not for me who couldn't care less and has given up with the place to make any difference to something I know would be wasting my time and efforts. You feel differently and consider you (or even someone else) can make a change, so go for it.
I have in no way said this guy deserves an equal right to operate in this land, as to people like yourself. Hell he possibly isn't even legal himself, it wouldn't shock anyone would it.
No Rob, he doesn't deserve an equal right, but in a land that is not policed he pretty much can do as he likes, as many do. I am as aware of this as you are.
I see your anger and frustration, I understand and agree, but heads and brick walls.............. Whatya gunna do, it is what it is :disappoin

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
You cannot appreciate that legitimate business people are critical of capetbaggers who setup shop here. From his previous posts he was not only ignorant, but defiant of Dominican Labor Code and probably to this day will insist that it does not apply to him. He has published his website, yet he refuses to publish his Dominican corporate name or number. What usually happens is these guys takeoff, owing huge amounts of wages and benefits, leaving the rest of us under tighter scrutiny by the government. Those of us in business, who follow the law and pay the taxes, resent an employer who flies under the radar as much as you would of a condo owner not paying his association charges.

In which way was he defiant of the Dominican Law??? explain

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
In which way was he defiant of the Dominican Law??? explain
From his previous thread:
Thanks for the labour law advice. I may, from America hire contract labour anywhere in the world. Ours is primarily a virtual company and all wages are paid in U.S. dollars from the U.S. I have warehouse in Kansas, storefront in New Hampshire, contractors in India and contractors in the DR. Given that there is no physical office location in the DR, I believe I am well within legal limits. I have researched this pretty thoroughly, but again really appreciate the advice and you looking out for me.

It was explained that dominican labor Code was territorial in nature and applies to foreign entities doing business here, yet, he remains defiant.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Appalling

for an expat with maybe rent to pay
20$ a day ?
I think maybe selling coconuts is a better gig
Manu

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I see your anger and frustration, I understand and agree, but heads and brick walls.............. Whatya gunna do, it is what it is :disappoin

<DT>All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. </DT> -Edmund Burke

I guess we all choose our fights, yes? Or choose not to fight?
<DT>

<DD class=author>

</DD>

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
besides... is not shining the light of truth on this scam, fighting it? maybe at least someone who might have "signed up" will have second thoughts. If someone is desperate enough to spend full time working hours for 2.80 an hour, we're not going to stop them; but maybe someone who wasn't so desperate was thinking, "Hmmm... not too bad. Maybe I'll give it a shot." and maybe he/she will think twice and avoid be exploited. can only stomp roaches one at a time.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I understand you want to expand your business, but please enlighten me how going from " religious" items to para-military items is an expansion?

I could understand a "religious" DIY expansion like a box with 2 two by fours, some rope, some nails and a hammer.

Or a clothing expansion... some white robes with hoods...

OK... looking at your sites... you are a scam and you do not provide the necessary legal info about your business... then again a lot of websites here on the island don't as well...

Stop profiting...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
We all know the scam, it is a good one if you can keep on moving, there are a lot of them here, and these guys have a circuit, 2 months, move on, 2 months move on, then come around again once it's gone quiet with a different site. We've had a couple try it here over the last year, but DR1 are wise to it and not alot get through you lot, even legit stuff gets roasted here, lol.
I agree that a genuine business would be hard stretched to go from selling rosaries, crosses and holy water to handcuffs, stun guns and Baretta 92's, doesn't seem right for some reason although nuns these days........................

All speculation, this guy could be absolutely legit and just winding you guys up, infact there is a good chance of that the way everyone jumped on, who knows, who cares:smoke:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for the labour law advice. I may, from America hire contract labour anywhere in the world. Ours is primarily a virtual company and all wages are paid in U.S. dollars from the U.S. I have warehouse in Kansas, storefront in New Hampshire, contractors in India and contractors in the DR. Given that there is no physical office location in the DR, I believe I am well within legal limits. I have researched this pretty thoroughly, but again really appreciate the advice and you looking out for me.

It was explained that dominican labor Code was territorial in nature and applies to foreign entities doing business here, yet, he remains defiant.

Though I have no intention of working for this person nor purchasing from the website, I am curious as to read more about the labor law side of this. Can you post the name of the previous thread so I can read what was written before I post more questions here?