Hola, motociclistas! New Motorcycles Coming to the DR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Referring to another post here where someone wanted to criminilize guns I would propose criminilizing motos and get every moto under 500cc taken off the road. You would save far more lifes and eliminate far more injuries then eliminating guns. Just my two cents as I absolutely HATE motos in this country. I liken it to driving with a bunch of nats and flys buzzing around your head all day long.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Referring to another post here where someone wanted to criminilize guns I would propose criminilizing motos and get every moto under 500cc taken off the road. You would save far more lifes and eliminate far more injuries then eliminating guns. Just my two cents as I absolutely HATE motos in this country. I liken it to driving with a bunch of nats and flys buzzing around your head all day long.

well y dont u do something about it....u could contribute $ to lower peeps fares.......what are u doing here....????go to santiago where there are alot more cars...

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Oooh, I'm liking the RX3, and was going to ask about how much discount is available for early orders, but now that you say there will be a 450cc variant coming next year, I may wait for that one. Either way, nice looking bikes and I may well be a customer soon.

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
Oooh, I'm liking the RX3, and was going to ask about how much discount is available for early orders, but now that you say there will be a 450cc variant coming next year, I may wait for that one. Either way, nice looking bikes and I may well be a customer soon.
The 450cc will most likely be introduced Q1 2018, so you'll be waiting 2 years...

Of course no pricing yet, but I expect it to be more than the RX3 by a good amount. It will require stiffer frame, brakes & suspension.

The RX3 is more street biased than offroad, perfect for the DR. No idea how the 450 will be positioned.

We anticipate a strong secondary market for the RX3, so an upgrade in two years shouldn't be much of a hit if any at all...

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
Motorcycles Goin? Global

I?m old.

Several years post WWII, I remember when ?Made in Japan? meant cheap, shoddy goods guaranteed to fall apart in short order, made in faceless factories by funny looking slave labor who ate cats for dinner. War stereotypes were hard to kill.

It?s interesting to see how time alters generational perceptions, because when a young person says ?Made in Japan? he means a high-quality product like a Lexus or Sony, and not a cheap item. They accept Japanese products as high in the ?value ratio?: quality divided by price.

As a kid I had small items like transistor radios, toys, and gadgets made in Japan, fascinated at the Japanese font when poking around inside the packaging, the exotic definition of ?foreign.? And usually most quickly fell apart. But they didn?t cost much, so not much harm was done.

transradio_zpstaajo4g5.jpg

(?Made in Japan?)

rocket-radio_zpselxmd3ga.jpg

(As a child, this rocket crystal radio was my contact to the outside world. Alligator-clip to the metal bedframe for a ground, insert the ear bud then move the rocket antenna up and down to find those 50,000w ?flamethrower? AM radio stations, especially at night.)

Try to tell a young person about cheap items being made in Japan, and he?ll look at you like a space alien.

My first encounter with a paradigm-busting Japanese product was a Honda Cub 50, the most manufactured vehicle in world history. A staggering 87 million Cubs have been produced since 1957 in 15 countries. Think Soichiro Honda has worked out the bugs?

cub_zpsembopwdt.jpg

(Honda C90 Super Cub)

Honda single-handedly killed the British motorcycle industry in 1969 with the introduction of the world?s first super bike, the CB750. Before that, the Triumph Bonnevilles, BSA Lightnings and Norton Commando?s ruled the bad-ass motorcycle roost.

honda-cb-750-k1-10_zpscgd37xrw.jpg

(1969 CB750, the world?s first SuperBike)

And it wasn?t just the incredible performance or price that won hearts of riders around the world, it was also the quality of these machines: they just didn?t break down like Brit iron, and they didn?t leak oil like Harley?s.

The Brits never recovered.

The American Harley-Davidson brand suffered mightily. In 1972, Harley had 100% of the US market over 1000cc. By 1982, they has 15%. Where I come from we call that a country boy ass-whoopin? and was so bad Harley begged politicians to add high import duties to Japanese motorcycles to help them survive.

Ditto Japanese cars coming to America. I remember the arrival of the funny looking Honda Civic followed by the Accord. In 5 years Honda was on top of American car sales for the same reason as Japanese motorcycles: incredible performance and quality at a very modest price. Consumers loved them and Detroit's glass chin took a mighty blow.

civic_zpsgiz0xely.jpg

(In just 5 years, the Little Honda Civic CVCC drove a stake into the heart of the American automobile industry.)

I've lived in the motorcycle culture of the Dominican Republic since 2008. Out of 2.5 million registered vehicles in this small Caribbean nation 1.8 million are motorcycles with 99% under 200cc. The Chinese motorcycle invasion had been underway for years with Chinese Honda Cub and Yamaha Crypton clones everywhere. But closer examination showed serious flaws: poor quality components, fit and finish, guaranteed to fall apart as soon as the warranty expired. And they did. But these bikes were very inexpensive, an important consumer consideration in a poor country, and millions were sold.

But a funny thing has been happening in my 9 years here: Chinese quality has made enormous strides with fit and finish to nearly First-World standards, parts becoming standardized and of better quality with the bikes lasting much longer. And they?ve sold like crazy.

We live in a global economy where capitalism is no longer the domain of rich countries. Consumers in the Third World want the exact same product metrics as First Worlders: highest quality products at the most modest price possible. Competition has been fierce...and likely to become fiercer.

This competition has definitely impacted Chinese motorcycle brands. And while some consumers are slow to accept the ?New Age? of Chinese quality, many motorcycle addicts like myself see the quality of these machines increasing faster than price?with consumers getting the Win.

While some continue to lament ?cheap Chinese junk?, these same people are loathe to admit that some of the worlds top-quality brands, like Apple, Lenovo, Huawei and Haier are ?Made in China.?

Maybe it?s time we took off the blinders and judged products on their merits and not through our biases.

?Junk?, indeed?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
MY favorite is to see the words in English "Japanese technology" on a motorcycle manufactured to be sold in a Spanish speaking country and the phrase means that it was made in China!

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
MY favorite is to see the words in English "Japanese technology" on a motorcycle manufactured to be sold in a Spanish speaking country and the phrase means that it was made in China!
Actually, you are incorrect.

I know of no Japanese motorcycle under 300cc that is NOT made either in China or Thailand. Japan is a land of high labor costs and smaller bikes compete in very price sensitive markets around the planet.

So a bike can, indeed, have "Japanese Technology" and be made in China. Some components may be made in Japan, but the bikes are assembled & finished in China.

For example: all Suzuki's brought into the DR by the exclusive importer are manufactured in either Colombia, China or Thailand.

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
I put 125 miles on an RX3 yesterday, none on the autopista or twisties, just a lot hills, narrow lanes and hard-packed dirt in and around Jarabacoa. I was leading 6 others on our DL650's.

For the money, I'm really liking the bike. I had forgotten the fun of managing a small bike. Except for hard acceleration and fast hill climbing, it gives little to bigger bikes. I will say I'm a big guy and did bottom put a couple of times on unavoidable potholes, but I've not done any adjustments on the rear shock. The large RX3 community says that adjusting the shock out 3-4 clicks makes a world of difference. This bike was stone-stock from the factory.

And I was handicapped by a 6500rpm max break-in limitation on a 9000rpm redline. There was a lot of power left in the last 2500rpm.

It took me a half hour to understand the powerband---which is 24hp vs. the DL650 62hp. I found the "sweet spot" is around 5-5500rpm, it takes more throttle to launch (with my size), I have to shift more and like I said-unfortunately I was rpm limited and . None are real biggies.

When it's broken in I have no doubt it'll perform even better.

I had to keep telling myself "It's only 250cc..." Amazing.

Great fun, and a lot of bike for the money..

ADV Moto

Feb 6, 2016
The uncrating of a new Cyclone RX3 in Milwaukie bought from CSC, the US distributor.

[video=youtube;LPfwsWwP0BQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPfwsWwP0BQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Seems she cut the end when the biked assumed natural sleeping position because she didn't manage the tie-down straps properly.

Lesson learned the hard way!

The RX3's comes from Chongqing in a crate with bags & hardware, front wheel and handle bars unattached, and the bike & parts bolted to a metal frame. We deliver the completed bike to customers in Jarabacoa or the customer's location, so no uncrating or assembly required.

(And note the gorgeous vintage Gold Wing in the background, looks like an 1100cc...)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
First of all, a big thank and hat tip to Dolores and Robert of DR1 for adding a "Transportation Forum" to DR1. Great addition, and ADV Moto RD is pleased to sponsor the forum of this most important aspect of the Dominican experience.

Fact #1: The Dominican Republic is a motorcycle culture.

Look around: motorcycles are everywhere! Even expats who move to the DR with little to no riding experience gravitate toward two wheels for many reasons: easy to hop on and go scootin', cheap to buy and operate, the weather is fantastic...and they're big fun.

Did I mention "Big Fun?"

Fact #2: There has been a huge gap in new motorcycle offerings in the DR. One could either ride a cheap Chinese moto or an expensive US, Japanese or Euro bike. There have been few choices, if any, in the middle unless one chooses to suffer through the enormous red tape of importing their own scoot.

So a rider could either spend under US$1500 for a new 125-200cc generic moto, or over US$9000+ for a new 500cc+ US, Japanese or Euro bike.

Or more. Much, much more.

There has been few, if any, offerings in the middle for riding the streets. Fact is many motorcyclists don't want a cheap Chinese bike, but don't want to---or can't---spend a small fortune on a quality US, Japanese or Euro machine.

Fact #3: The used bike market has been dominated by "30 footers." These are bikes that look good at a distance, but when you get close the truth becomes clear: beaten half to death, a confused mish-mash of dubious maintenance, care and crashes. While one may find a used gem, the odds are stacked against you as there is no "CarFax" for motorcycles, and many used bikes don't have clear titles.

Until now.

Adv Moto RD, SRL has a singular mission: to offer unique, "boutique", quality motorcycles at modest prices. To that end, we are pleased to announce the introduction of the Cyclone by Zongshen line of motorcycles, including a full inventory of parts for the bikes we sell.

While keeping abreast of international motorcycle trends, we were in the right place at the right time, securing distribution of this new line of exceptional quality motorcycles for Hispaniola.

Our prices will be "all-inclusive" including all taxes, transfers, matricula fees and warranty. There are no hidden charges or surprises.

Additionally, ADV Moto RD is working closely with a major U.S. motorcycle safety organization to bring formal motorcycle safety training to the Dominican Republic.

This "living thread" will offer ongoing announcements of ADV Moto RD bikes, demo exhibitions, demo track days, dealer additions, current motorcycling trends, maintenance tips, blog entries, owner club activities, and general motorcycling safety considerations.

For more information visit our website: ADVMotoRD.com (because this is our first post, a URL is not accepted.)

Our standards are high. Yours should be, too.

Over half of all road fatalities here in the DR are moter cycle riders!!!!!!

They are to lowest of the highway "Pecking Order"!!!!!

They get ZERO respect from all other forms of transportation.

I would not ride a '"Moto" here in the DR if you gave me one for free!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Reactions: Yes Alfredo

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
The 450cc will most likely be introduced Q1 2018, so you'll be waiting 2 years...

Of course no pricing yet, but I expect it to be more than the RX3 by a good amount. It will require stiffer frame, brakes & suspension.

The RX3 is more street biased than offroad, perfect for the DR. No idea how the 450 will be positioned.

We anticipate a strong secondary market for the RX3, so an upgrade in two years shouldn't be much of a hit if any at all...

Great. Sounds good to me. Do you have the RX3's in stock?

I'll planning to be in DR from about mid-June onwards, so will be seeing you soon.

jhgoodwin

Feb 23, 2020

ADV Moto, have you considered trying to get a reasonable option to sell for an electric motorbike? For my situation, something similar to the Sondors Metacycle seems like it could be a good option if it is as described.​

Status
Not open for further replies.