Home Alarm System

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes, with a machete. Stitched up, walking, healing, he'll be fine - unless they come back with reinforcements.

rotties are very resistant. they can take lots of pain and they pull through. i am glad your boy is ok. i suggest you quietly get a companion for him. surprise the thieves. the bigger the dog the better. the blacker the better. big black dog is like a devil to domincans.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Order some "Air Horns", if that is not what you mean by "Bull Horns" which amplify your voice.
The "Air Horns" come with a can of compressed air.
You screw the horn onto the can, about the size of a hairspray can.
It can be found on Amazon, and is used by boaters to sound the alarm.
It is Sooooooooooooooooo loud, it will make your nose bleed, so point it out!
"Security" should be just like an "Onion", or a Whore House, or a "Chicken Coop", "LOTS of "Layers"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Order some "Air Horns", if that is not what you mean by "Bull Horns" which amplify your voice.
The "Air Horns" come with a can of compressed air.
You screw the horn onto the can, about the size of a hairspray can.
It can be found on Amazon, and is used by boaters to sound the alarm.
It is Sooooooooooooooooo loud, it will make your nose bleed, so point it out!
"Security" should be just like an "Onion", or a Whore House, or a "Chicken Coop", "LOTS of "Layers"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I've had air horns on my boats. My concern is getting the compressed air that I would have to order and ship in. Not sure if bringing then on a plane would be a good idea. So went with this; batteries can always be found. Good price and should wake up everyone and let any unwanted person know that I'm up. :)

Just another layer.

Pyle Pro PMP30 Professional Megaphone / Bullhorn with Siren

This site is a little cheaper then Amazon.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok. we all know nothing is going to stop a good thief. but alas, DR is simply full of people who are desperate and more interested in easy money, that is easy target. make it difficult to reach you and your goodies and you are less likely to be bothered.

alterego, get another dog. two is better than one. it is not that easy to quietly dispose of more than one dog. we have a mother and daughter and i know that ma would kill anyone who would go at her child. two dogs keep each other company, they play, they are more alert.

install the alarm. if you want/can, bring sensors from the states, it will be cheaper and you will have a good choice. then get a good, trustworthy company to set the whole thing up. i really recommend our guy. ask around among family and friends and only use the workers that has been recommended and used before so you know they are straight and honest.

you gotta protect yourself.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
If we could just "Can" all the "Hot Air" on DR1, we could make a fortune!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Why limit to DR1? Think of all the hot air balloons that would have free hot air. Perhaps another security layer with a hot air balloon as an escape plan? :)

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Sort of a late night real experience. I'm waiting for an email .... waiting, waiting. It's just around 10 PM and my wife has set the main alarms downstairs and in bed. The new porch alarm, noted above, outside our bedroom is also set and the new bedroom door chain lock is in place. We also installed two of the new, see above, alarms to cover the stairs and hallway outside my office where I am now.

I need to go downstairs to get something so I have to have the key fob, set at proper setting, to disarm the two new units but... while I'm doing that the older system has found me and I've got to find the light switch, being older, to hobble down the stairs and get to where the main security panel is to turn it off while setting off 3 more sensors. No alarms yet but the added beeping is enough that I hurry to enter the code and turn it off. Silence.

I find what I need and ... have to close doors, lock and re-arm the main system and turn off the lights. I've now learned that the new sensors have a little overlap with old so .... I really have to move while I click the key fob to activate them. No problem other then I want to go out for a smoke that means that I can get by the new motion detectors but not sure where I have the old ones pointed. You see... I use to go out our bedroom door onto the porch for a smoke but we put in that outside the bedroom door alarm and I don't want to wake wife up and that alarm always makes a yelp before I can turn it off.

Back to the stairs area and turn the two off, press myself against the wall sliding to the door, open the curtains and open the door and the screen door and.................... I can light up. Just can not move very far cause I don't want to set off the porch alarm and really get my wife mad at me.

I guess that we have done good. Not even I can figure out my own system. While writing this I hear something moving around my office. NO kidding. I have not found it yet but bet that a rat got past everything without any problem. (must be the year of the rat cause we got lots.)

DANG!

Have a good and safe night.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I now have the "Ultimate Low Tech" home security system in place!
SIX DOGS"!!!!!!!
It is considered an "Active System", meaning it includes both an "Alarm", and a Guard, component!
It safe, meaning your children can, and will, "Play" with the entire system.
At night, I activate the 4 outside units, and the two, smaller, inside units.
In the last 16 years, a series of these units have kept my home,free of "Ladrones"!
Once you get your two first units, they are "Renewable".
Mnay times when other "DR1ers" leave the DR, they will happily give you their old units.
The ONLY problem I have had over the years, is resisting the strong desire to continually add "More Units"!!!
Soooooooooooooooooo be careful about using this type of "System", the "UNITS",will not only guard your home, they can "Eat You Out Of It"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Sort of a late night real experience. I'm waiting for an email .... waiting, waiting. It's just around 10 PM and my wife has set the main alarms downstairs and in bed. The new porch alarm, noted above, outside our bedroom is also set and the new bedroom door chain lock is in place. We also installed two of the new, see above, alarms to cover the stairs and hallway outside my office where I am now.

I need to go downstairs to get something so I have to have the key fob, set at proper setting, to disarm the two new units but... while I'm doing that the older system has found me and I've got to find the light switch, being older, to hobble down the stairs and get to where the main security panel is to turn it off while setting off 3 more sensors. No alarms yet but the added beeping is enough that I hurry to enter the code and turn it off. Silence.

I find what I need and ... have to close doors, lock and re-arm the main system and turn off the lights. I've now learned that the new sensors have a little overlap with old so .... I really have to move while I click the key fob to activate them. No problem other then I want to go out for a smoke that means that I can get by the new motion detectors but not sure where I have the old ones pointed. You see... I use to go out our bedroom door onto the porch for a smoke but we put in that outside the bedroom door alarm and I don't want to wake wife up and that alarm always makes a yelp before I can turn it off.

Back to the stairs area and turn the two off, press myself against the wall sliding to the door, open the curtains and open the door and the screen door and.................... I can light up. Just can not move very far cause I don't want to set off the porch alarm and really get my wife mad at me.

I guess that we have done good. Not even I can figure out my own system. While writing this I hear something moving around my office. NO kidding. I have not found it yet but bet that a rat got past everything without any problem. (must be the year of the rat cause we got lots.)

DANG!

Have a good and safe night.
you gotta get rid of the alarm system, quit smoking or smoke in the house( hopefully you don't sensitive smoke alarms all over)......myself I would get rid of the wife and smoke where I want

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I hope the many have found some ideas useful but they only work if YOU implement them. To me it is about layers of security and I look at the away from home and while we are home. Most of our attempted break-ins have been while we are home. They WANT us home!

I mentioned a megaphone above, the Pyle PMP30.

PylePro - PMP30 - Professional Megaphone / Bullhorn with Siren

(I bought two for under U.S. $20. each, google to find what works for you.)

I've been playing with this and..... I DON'T WANT TO BE IN FRONT OF IT WHEN ON FULL VOLUME!

The idea is to work with those around us that will get their own and we all use it as an at home alarm system that will:
1. Scare away the intruder.
2. Will wake up anyone near, neighbors 3 or 4 houses down, to alert them and get help. And we help them if they use it.
3. It can be set-off and set down and will keep the alarm while you leave via another route confusing the intruders.

Simple and cheap at home security deterrent and alarm.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Tis the season that others look for gifts!

I hope that A.E. does not mind me posting this here.

November usually has an increase in any and all types of crime.

Our observations for over 20 years have shown that everyone wants to have gifts to give and be a big shot during the up coming Dec. and Jan. holidays.

Please be aware of what is going on around you and be more attentive to........ everything.

Tis the season............... to take what YOU have so that they have something to give or .... have for themselves.

Stay safe people.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also think the time of the year makes it a bit easier. it gets dark early, nights are cloudy with little light. and victims are often merrily drank for we all know that in december se bebe!