Home Grown Pi?a

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bananas do themselves. oops, serious answer, really... :)
every banana tree will sprout smaller threes (hijos) that start growing form the same root. you can gently dig in, remove the babies and re-plant them elsewhere.
as for daddy banana, once banana it fruit you can either cut it and remove completely or cut it diagonally about 40 centimeters from the ground. after a while it will start growing again...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How you do bananas? Just stick it in a hole? Oops, well serious question, really...

Plant a banana/platano/rulo tree. As soon as the bunch starts to form, new shoots pop up around the base of the tree. You can leave them there or replant them elsewhere. Last month one of our banana [manzana, tiny sweet bananas] trees had 5 new trees growing by the time the bunch was almost ready to pick.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, :) but how to start from scratch? A banana fruit would not work, right? Aren't those the "seeds"?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Now you know why Dominicans love platanos. It reproduces! no need to continuously plant them.No need to remove the new growth,"hijos if you don't want to, it'll grow right where they sprouted.I have a few in my garden.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Thank you, thought it might be possible with a fruit too. My son already successfully planted paprika and tomatoes and is looking for new challenges ;).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When planting a "new" banana/plantain, best it you dig a large hole,3 feet around, 2 feet deep, and fill it with a few bags of "Tierra Negra" you get from a "Vivero". 40 to 50 pesos a bag.
Plant your sprout, and water well for a few days.
Full Sun, gives the best results.
If it starts to topple over as it bears fruit, prop it up with 2 or 3 long boards.Pick the whole stalk when mature, but still green.
Tie it to a high point under cover with some heavy twine.
Pick then as needed.
You can use the new leaves as they unfold for making "Pasteles En Ojas"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
do you see the suckers or "hijos" growing around the pineapple? Just cut them and replant them.You can also replant the pineapple heads, but don't you want to harvest pineapples? If you cut the head right away the fruit is ruined.Wait until the fruit is mature cut the top off and then plant it.:)

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
Can a moderator make :Home Grown" a Permanent Post please. or "Organic Gardening"
Lots of info to share...Everyone should have their own garden, even if it is just a pineapple tree!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can a moderator make :Home Grown" a Permanent Post please. or "Organic Gardening"
Lots of info to share...Everyone should have their own garden, even if it is just a pineapple tree!

I agree - it's now a "sticky". Let's keep it going, lots of good info here!

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
Here is the key, if a fruit or vegetable does not produce seeds, then you can growth them by "spores, hijitos, suckers...", or by slicing a new growth off the plant. Non-flowering plants such as ferns and mosses don't need seeds. Instead, they produce spores, hijitos, suckers.... Lots of experimentation, an inexpensive and wonderful pastime.

I usually put it in glass with rain water, also add some "compose tea" I use rain water to begin because there are not man made chemicals in rain water,- I collect rain water in 55 gallon containers, I have only two, but enough for me. It is probably my imagination, but I found that when I use rain water the roots are healthier and fast developing.