home invasion

SultanofSwing

Jun 22, 2012
If you don't want to experience that, avoid La Mulata at ANY COST !!!

Charlise, have you ever been or lived in LaMulata? If you haven't then how can you say to avoid it at ANY COST if you don't even have a clue! I've lived here for many years and have never had any problems. It's just about being careful. Whether you live in Santiago, Santo Domingo, United States or wherever, there's always going to be crime.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There were a lot of robberies in LT when I lived there. The place then was built with these lovely little homes for rent with picket fences. Since then, everything is rock walled in with solid gates. You cannot see the houses, except for a few on the beach. I do not know what they do for security.. probably have an armed guard at the front.

But anywhere that is a predominiately tourist aread.. i e .. North Coast, Juan Dolio..

where you are not inside a community of Dominicans, will attractive to theives.

But dogs really help. Of course, they make it very hard to actually LEAVE the place for vacation!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Almost 3 years living in Santiago and on a recent visit (today) to Santo Domingo I witnessed my first crime. A crackhead looking dude walked right into Krispy Kreme on Nunez de Caceres in Santo Domingo and stole an original glazed donut.. He had a choice of either original, nutella filled or a krispy caramel donut that were on a platter and he chose the original glazed.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There were a lot of robberies in LT when I lived there. The place then was built with these lovely little homes for rent with picket fences. Since then, everything is rock walled in with solid gates. You cannot see the houses, except for a few on the beach. I do not know what they do for security.. probably have an armed guard at the front.

But anywhere that is a predominiately tourist aread.. i e .. North Coast, Juan Dolio..

where you are not inside a community of Dominicans, will attractive to theives.

But dogs really help. Of course, they make it very hard to actually LEAVE the place for vacation!

Dominicans are the biggest victims of other Dominicans. We have a thief that lives close by, and he's been in jail several times for minor thefts. Whenever something goes missing in this area the cops pick him up, rough him up for good measure whether he's guilty or not. I think he's learned to do his thieving in other neighbourhoods.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I wonder where charlise lives, I could probably dig something up that happened there

I lived in Munoz for 18 months and now I am in Puerto Plata since March 2013, near SuperMercado Jos? Luis....
Not in gated but with some little security.

I've been to la Mulata and IMO, much too isolated to feel safe.... for myself anyway.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
La Mulata has a history of problems but it is not just in La Mulata. It appears that the general area of Sosua has had an increase in crime and gated or not does not stop the intruders.

I'm sure that other areas of the Dominican Republic have experienced increased crime also. Sosua has a large number of Xpats that posts here on DR1 so, IMO, we get more posts for this area.

True, but the low hanging fruit is easiest to pick. Agreed on seeing what we see posted because people live in those areas.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My Rottweiler just had 11 pups and they will stop all home invasions. People know the dogs are here and they will yell for us to chain them up before they will come on the property. I live out in the countryside for over 10 years and no one has came on the property without my permitting it.

Yes, but, they rob banks..

Think about it.

If they have the will, they will find a way.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I know of four h.invasions right off the top of my head , two of these people don't really go out much ,one doesn't drink at all ,another only has a drink now and then , and the other two were good people , one is dead and I think the other moved away ,2 of them lived in costambar ,one happened in pop and the other in cabaret,I'm sure I can come up with a few more if I think about . In Massachusetts h. invasion carries about 35 to 40 yrs.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In Massachusetts h. invasion carries about 35 to 40 yrs.

What do you mean by that?
:)

It's American shorthand :classic: It means that someone convicted of a home invasion in the state of Massachusetts will receive a jail sentence of 35-40 years.

But since this thread is about DR, please let's keep it to that!!!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Of course nothing happens as long as you take extreme measures. Alarm systems,
cameras, bars on windows and doors, every room in the house under lock and key.

Must leave someone to babysit your house when traveling or come back to an empty
house.

My father has been robbed (lives in SD) a few times(throughout the years) and the last
time the thieves broke right through the bars on the doors. One time the next door
neighbor caught thieves in the process of breaking the locks on the door of my father's
house and told them to get the hell out of there. Do you know that those thieves were
so bold and told him, shut up old man, this is none of your business! The neighbor said
I'm calling the police right now and that's when they stopped and ran. They are friggin
bold!