Hot water heater

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
The inverter type A/C's made a huge difference in my electric bill. I used to pay around 2300-2500 a month with two regular type splits.

In my case, my A/C runs from 5 pm to 5 am. I never run both at the same time. I have them set at 78 degrees, which feels cool when I walk into the room, but barely noticeable after 5 minutes.

I use my Microwave sparingly, try to keep my fridge closed (and full of bottles of water that hold the cold) and wash and dry 3 loads of clothes every week.

I have an LED TV and watch it for an hour a day during the week, and 5-6 hours a day on weekends.

And, the water heater that is on for 20 minutes each day.

Simple stuff, but it adds up.

Try signing up for 'miconsumo' with EDESUR and have them send you daily reports of your consumption and start from there.
Make sure they never change your meter :)

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
I don't want to sound negative but our poster needs to remember that trying duplicate the NoAmerican life here can be problematic

I know a washing m/c in Cabrera...
perfectly good Samsung or LG that needs constant repair due to the power surges blowing the motor.
About $200US a fix.....

Maybe , just maybe, a natural gas hot water tank (converted to propane) would work here
but most of us use the on demand type.... for a reason

Go with flow - is the advice
Reinventing a wheel might be futile

Just saying.......

Trying to duplicate life the NoAmerican life? I just asked a simple question about a water heater.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Check out Ochoa in Santiago, I have a Bradford White 30 gal. made in the U.S. very good water heaters, I've installed many of them. Am pretty sure they have them at Ochoa.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have a solar water heater and it works wonders. Took me probably 2-3 years to pay off but definatly one of the best investments Ive made. Piping hot water at all times so we wash clothes, dishes, can have long showers ect. Make sure its one that works on pressure and not gravity. My elect bill is around $1500 with 2 AC$ and inverter everything.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Trying to duplicate life the NoAmerican life? I just asked a simple question about a water heater.

Got a 14 year old Maytag doing fine here. It might fall apart due to rust but it's like a Timex - just keeps ticking. Original belts too

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I have a solar water heater and it works wonders. Took me probably 2-3 years to pay off but definatly one of the best investments Ive made. Piping hot water at all times so we wash clothes, dishes, can have long showers ect. Make sure its one that works on pressure and not gravity. My elect bill is around $1500 with 2 AC$ and inverter everything.

How much usage from the A/C on that amount?

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
How much usage from the A/C on that amount?
8hrs less in the cooler winter months. We have inverter fridge,dishwasher,washing machine, led light bulbs. Low,consumption tvs. They all pay them selves off eventually. Im looking into installing a solar system soon.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I have always wondered why in a place where electric service is hard to come by there is no use of solar hot water heaters? They use them all over the middle east. Needs no electricity other than the pump to cycle the water through the heater unless tinaco is on the roof. Always have hot water to the point of it boiling.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014

Okay, so Drake figured out that solar water heater can be great in DR

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have always wondered why in a place where electric service is hard to come by there is no use of solar hot water heaters? They use them all over the middle east. Needs no electricity other than the pump to cycle the water through the heater unless tinaco is on the roof. Always have hot water to the point of it boiling.

Because they are expensive here and easy to steal.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe it depends on the heater. my in laws have a solar water heater and on early winter mornings the water is barely tepid. meh.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
maybe it depends on the heater. my in laws have a solar water heater and on early winter mornings the water is barely tepid. meh.

Something's not right. They usually put out scalding hot water, especially if they have a solar panel and a holding tank.

My last one was a crappy home made one with some copper tubing on the roof with an old hot water tank and the water from it was too hot to use without mixing in cold water.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Exactly, and I can run the circulating pump off solar too. 12V DC motors and a small panel, battery, and cheap controller. I also use black poly panels which are dirt cheap. a little bit of plumbing on your existing heater, and you have a solar water heater.. You can google all of this. Heck, Gaby and I have solar hot water on our boat even. Everyone should have solar hot water.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Exactly, and I can run the circulating pump off solar too. 12V DC motors and a small panel, battery, and cheap controller. I also use black poly panels which are dirt cheap. a little bit of plumbing on your existing heater, and you have a solar water heater.. You can google all of this. Heck, Gaby and I have solar hot water on our boat even. Everyone should have solar hot water.

I can tell you there is no shortage of Dominicans who will not use hot water even if it's available.

Damages the skin, you know. :cheeky:

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I can tell you there is no shortage of Dominicans who will not use hot water even if it's available.

Damages the skin, you know. :cheeky:

I'm not Dominican, but my wife is and likes hot showers. I've also hooked up cheap solar set ups in our Barrio, so I guess there are exceptions to the rule you speak of.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Shouldnt it be a Cold water heater, hot water doesnt need a heater.

Exactly, and thank you. It's a water heater. If anybody who says "hot water heater" stopped to think about it, they would be doing wonders for my constant grammar stress levels and never say it again.