How are the disabled treated in the D.R.?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Geeez. What a bunch of "down" people. Their are many disabled people in the D.R. Most have a difficult time due to many reasons. Some do ok and have a life. Let's not mix locals with no support with others looking to move here from other countries. I do agree that setting the proper expectations is very important.

My FIL lost both his legs at mid-thigh when he was about 35. He lived a full life, in the U.S., until he passed at 75.

Some that have challenges and meet them head on usually can do just fine. Finding the right combination for living is not anything new to them.

But let's NOT get into a discussion since we have not heard from the OP. No point in answering questions that only we have the need to respond to without knowing the OP's concerns.

:)
Ringo, giving an honest assessment is not "down." Folks used to the First World treatment of the handicapped could be in for a real surprise here as far as access is concerned.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
oh, and btw, that thing about not waiting in line is for real. A woman holding children, pregnant, elders and disabled are absolutely granted first up. no sign. no rule. But everybody follows, except for the tigueres, and they will hear a mouthful about it. Loudly and dramatically

absolutely correct. there are considerations accorded to the elderly, pregnant women, and any other type of physically handicapped person in the lines in all banks.

Chan184

Sep 20, 2013
Ringo, giving an honest assessment is not "down." Folks used to the First World treatment of the handicapped could be in for a real surprise here as far as access is concerned.

no disrespect, but we prefer to be called "physically challenged" at least I do! "handicap" makes me ODD! - just saying.

Chan184

Sep 20, 2013
Que lo que?, Guys & Gals, thanks again for all of your help and replies. But, tell me MORE about the dominicanas? - would i have ANY problemos there? MOST of my ex-novias were latinas, from various countries, and NOT ONE, has ever made an "issue" about my wheels. a few of them ONLY asked me 3 questions when we first started going out...

1. Can i achieve an erection - Yes!!

2. Can i feel it? - Yes, yes and yes!!

3. Can i get a woman pregnant? - YUP!!

From my personal experiences with latinas, "They made me feel like the real man, i know i am inside", you know?! - and i'm suspecting that "dominicanas" will be no different ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no disrespect, but we prefer to be called "physically challenged" at least I do! "handicap" makes me ODD! - just saying.

then you may not be so happy here. dominicans call things as they see them. to them you will be minusvalido or discapacitado. there is no PC talk here.

nothing more to add to what was already said. people help but the environment does not. in smaller cities the buildings are maybe 3-4 floors high, no lifts anywhere. on the other hand you may be able to find someone who will simply carry you up/down.

someone said the wheelchair is a valuable commodity. keep that in mind. there are plenty of disabled people in DR and very little help for them. keep a close eye on your chair.

i would suggest a male "nurse" for help (for carrying you, lifting and heavy help). expect to pay something in the range of 10-15k pesos a month for daily help.

good luck and have fun.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Actually, I'm thinking that Sosua might be a good place for you Chan. Smaller town but lots to do and mostly level and most places that you would need to enter are at ground level or just a couple of steps. Hospital and physical therapy place in town. Playero has wide isles so easy to shop. Plenty of van taxi's. And, it has LOTS of ladies. I agree that a male attendant would be best for you and help keep the ladies in control and your money and stuff safer. Perhaps someone at the P.T. place could help find someone. If not, I'm sure that our man could come up with someone that you could train.

I know of several small hotels in Sosua that could do some easy modifications if they are willing. Having others around, making friends and restaurant there would be a good start.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my last suggestion is that you look for a place to rent beforehand. contact few real estate agents and explain your needs (ground floor, no stairs, easy bathroom access and so on). if you have a bit of cash to spare and are set on location i am sure someone on dr1 would be willing to go and personally check the apartment/house/hotel for you to check the details. i think you are looking at higher end rentals too. cheaper dominican houses have really small bathrooms and you will not have enough room to move inside.

if you want to stay for good changes in construction are done easily and labour costs are cheap.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think you might find a "Home" at "Rocky's" in Sosua!!!!!!!
A small bar,restaurant,with several nice rooms to rent.
Lots of "Expats" there everyday.
They come to "Eat, Drink", and Look At Mary"!
Many have decades here in the DR, some come once a year for "R&R", some are first time visitors.
They will take good care of you.
"Girlfriends" are welcome there as well.
Cris Colon
AND, as "dv8" said, "Bring a good bike cable to lock up your "Wheels"!!!!
They even dump dead bodies here, to steal the coffin!
Right after they knock out any gold teeth that is!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was thinking he could put his name in few places on the chair, etch it in metal or whatever. just to be sure.

normal health insurances do not cover pre-existing conditions. maybe the basic TSS insurance could. but for that you need a cedula and either work or be affiliated by someone who does. so you may not get any coverage in relation to disability.

Chan184

Sep 20, 2013
then you may not be so happy here. dominicans call things as they see them. to them you will be minusvalido or discapacitado. there is no PC talk here.

nothing more to add to what was already said. people help but the environment does not. in smaller cities the buildings are maybe 3-4 floors high, no lifts anywhere. on the other hand you may be able to find someone who will simply carry you up/down.

someone said the wheelchair is a valuable commodity. keep that in mind. there are plenty of disabled people in DR and very little help for them. keep a close eye on your chair.

i would suggest a male "nurse" for help (for carrying you, lifting and heavy help). expect to pay something in the range of 10-15k pesos a month for daily help.

good luck and have fun.

And that was one of the things i dreaded too. my chair getting Ripped-off! i'm MORE concerned about that more than anything else!!

Chan184

Sep 20, 2013
Actually, I'm thinking that Sosua might be a good place for you Chan. Smaller town but lots to do and mostly level and most places that you would need to enter are at ground level or just a couple of steps. Hospital and physical therapy place in town. Playero has wide isles so easy to shop. Plenty of van taxi's. And, it has LOTS of ladies. I agree that a male attendant would be best for you and help keep the ladies in control and your money and stuff safer. Perhaps someone at the P.T. place could help find someone. If not, I'm sure that our man could come up with someone that you could train.

I know of several small hotels in Sosua that could do some easy modifications if they are willing. Having others around, making friends and restaurant there would be a good start.
That's not a bad-idea! - and you definitely have a point there!

My wife gets treated like a queen with her torn ligament foot wherever we go, especially at the Hospitals! Holy they are super sweet!! Insist they wheel her around and let her go in front of other patients, it's craziness! Walking with the crutches around is a bit of a scene, she may break her neck.

Another Hosp we went to today I was so impressed with, it was in POP, not sure the name but they rocked it!! We like to tour Hospitals around this lovely Country it's our thing I guess.

She was in a wheel chair in Cuba and it sucked for our Vacay I know we shouldn't Compare Countries but I know the DR is better for wheel chairs than that one!

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
Now that said, a fancy 1st world wheelchair with a padded seat, carbon wheels, etc is a very valuable commodity and a thief would have no quams about stealing it. After all, you are a rich american and can just go get a new one.

I visited last year and, thankfully, no one tried to steal my fancy electric chair. Reading this thread has struck the fear of God into me, though...

Practically speaking, what kind of risk am I facing in my fancy electric wheelchair over there?

Obviously, don't ride through the ghetto in SD by myself. I get that, and would never do such a thing. But how scared should I be? Do I need to be cautious sitting at an outdoor restaurant in Zona Colonial with friends? What about shopping for clothes with my novia at a mall, or going to see a movie?

Someone would literally have to physically remove me from my chair (easy, since I'm helpless) and then load the 250+ lb. chair into a van or truck and get away (not easy without help.) It would take multiple thieves working together, most likely. Is that a realistic fear? If people saw thieves wresting me from my chair, would they try to help or look the other way?

I know anything can happen, there are no guarantees, etc., so I'm just looking for everyone's "gut feeling."

If I hire a driver/bodyguard to go everywhere with me (which I would need anyway) is that enough to be reasonably safe? Or do I need a 3-man squad of armed ex-military watching me everywhere I go? Ugh...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Know of at least 2 people here with motorized wheels. 1 in Gazcue, the other over by Delgado an 27 Feb. they are both in the street and in their local area with few if any problems due to the locals looking out and helping them.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
have a few beers, enjoy a little BRUGAL somewhere COZY and make a "few friends" that's all.

Come on over with a bottle. I'll supply the coke and ice. I do not discriminate against my drinking buddies based on race, religion, sex, national origin, or disability. I am an equal opportunity drunk.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
250 lb? i haven't thought of a big ass wheelchair like that, i have only seen those easy use, light, folding wheelchairs. indeed, i do not think anyone could steal your ride what easily. unless you live it outside on the porch or something. once we had a scooter stolen from in front of the pharmacy, we were all inside and no one even noticed it being wheeled off (thieves did not have keys). so maybe it does not have to be lifted to be stolen, just rolled away?

dominicans are generally very nice towards disabled people. i have seen people being lifted and carried. the country is not the best environment for disabled infrastructure wise but dominicans themselves make life easier and offer help. be ready to be asked why you are on a wheelchair. people are openly curious. the most common disability here is probably amputation of the limbs due to accidents. actual wheelchairs are not so common thou, they may be too expensive for many.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Years ago their was a man in Sousa that rolled around everywhere and would party with the best of them. I think that a couple of places even put in curb ramps for him. He used the streets and had a flag on his chair to be seen better.

If you're talking about the "Magician", he still frequents Sosua.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Dominicans will treat you with respect and offer assistance if needed.
My cousin visits the DR quite often and he is in a wheelchair.
He drives there with a removable mechanical hand control.
The only limitations I foresee is narrow sidewalks and the lack of ramps or elevators.
I'm sure people will help you out in those situations.