How can I keep my home theater speakers from being decorative objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Now ya talkin bout my CB days...Lost a big stick to a bolt of lighting one day...Exactly what I did..Running the wire was a pain, think my stick was almost 1,000 feet up, had a moonraker on a tower, stick off to the side..talk about communications! When I keyed up, the power plant blew a fuse...LOL

want to get fancy? get a 14 inch length of copper pipe, and drive it into the ground. solder on 17 feet 4 inches of 18 gauge solid core wire. connect that to the ground screw of the socket. voila; no more hum issues, unless the ground plane in the devices have a problem.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Now ya talkin bout my CB days...Lost a big stick to a bolt of lighting one day...Exactly what I did..Running the wire was a pain, think my stick was almost 1,000 feet up, had a moonraker on a tower, stick off to the side..talk about communications! When I keyed up, the power plant blew a fuse...LOL

actually, those measurements were shared with me by one of my audio mentors, Bill Ying, from a company called Shun Mook. (google it, if you like). he found that the perfect length for a ground was 17 feet 4 inches, because of molecular interaction. some guys say he is full of crap, but i got great results when i did it. heck, maybe i would have gotten better from 18 feet, but i guess a lot of audio is psychological. and snake oil.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I finally got back from the USA and tested the outlets and they are actually all correct. I have no idea what to look at now.

Homairy

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
I finally got back from the USA and tested the outlets and they are actually all correct. I have no idea what to look at now.

Try this first. Bring a friends over and swap them with your humming speakers and vice versa at the friends place. The common denominator is that you moved, they probably got bounced around and a wire is detached, or you have them wired incorrectly.
Passive or active has nothing to do with it. Active speakers are self powered and passive need an amp to drive them. Active are generally higher end and I doubt Pricesmart carries them. If it is just a ground problem, you would still get the sound, combined with a hum. If that isn't taking place, you have hooked them up incorrectly, or they are damaged.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Try this first. Bring a friends over and swap them with your humming speakers and vice versa at the friends place. The common denominator is that you moved, they probably got bounced around and a wire is detached, or you have them wired incorrectly.
Passive or active has nothing to do with it. Active speakers are self powered and passive need an amp to drive them. Active are generally higher end and I doubt Pricesmart carries them. If it is just a ground problem, you would still get the sound, combined with a hum. If that isn't taking place, you have hooked them up incorrectly, or they are damaged.

active are generally higher end? name me one high end active speaker....

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
I got them from Pricesmart and they did work fine when I lived in Gurabo. They do not work in my current house, when they did in the last place with the SAME inverter! If I try to use them all I get is a BLAZZZZZZZZZZ noise. I had the electrician friend of my brother in law over once but he could not figure out how to solve the problem. I don't know how much experience he had with those things. Maybe I should see if someone from Electronica de Santiago can fix the problem? Is there a noise filter for these types of systems?

1- what do you mean by "blazzzzzzz noise"?

2- does your 'home theater' include video?

3.0- the input, where is the real sound you want to hear coming from? [an am/fm tuner, CD player, DVD player etc]

3.1- is the input properly selected?

4- if the advice you have been getting does not work, or is too confusing for you... try a "source" of advice who can demostrate to you that she/he knows his stuff.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Meridian, Bang and Olufsen

Bang and Olufsen is spectacular when it comes to appearance, and all the trappings of cutting edge modernity. as far as sound goes; not so good

Meridian makes some great digital equipment, like D/A converters. their speakers are nothing special

Wood

Oct 15, 2013
I would start by eliminating one component at a time.
Is every thing connected to the same power strip. TV and all of the connected sources.
Most of the time we find the cable box to be the culprit. Disconnect the coax line coming from the cable company. Most of the time this is were the ground loops starts. The cable company's never ground there lines. The power strip you have might have a place to connect the coax from the street and out to jump over to your cable box. This is there to ground the coax shield. If not you can add a coupling with a ground lug where the cable enters you house.
Hope this helps

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some good suggestions in this thread. I don't know if anyone suggested that the power amplifier may have developed some bad filter capacitors which can inject a large amount of noise (normally 60 Hz or multiples thereof) into your speakers.

If the setup works fine with "street power" and poorly with an inverter, you may need a True Sine Wave inverter to fix the problem.

If the system has the same issues on street power and an inverter, then I would disconnect everything and start by connecting speakers to amp, applying a signal from a DVD or music source, than trying one additional component at a time to see if there if the problem returns.

(I cannot comment further on the proper length of the ground wire. I am still chuckling over that. )

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
My cable box uses HDMI so I think I will have to ground the cable system where it enters the house. I don't know what to use for that though.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
All power to the house passes the inverter first as it is also our voltage regulator. I'm pretty sure that the first place we had also had direct street power.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All power to the house passes the inverter first as it is also our voltage regulator.

And that is normal when using an inverter system, but my question is do you hear the bad sound when street power is on or just when the inverter is running?

If the bad sound happens all of the time, and is a fairly low frequency sound (not bass, but lower mid range perhaps) then it is a grounding problem or a problem with the amplifier.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
All of the time if we turn it on, it is either silent or making the noise. I havn't tried it since the cable boxes were changed to HDMI. I will see if that makes a difference.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All of the time if we turn it on, it is either silent or making the noise. I havn't tried it since the cable boxes were changed to HDMI. I will see if that makes a difference.

So before it would either be silent, as in normal, or produce a bad sound both with street power on or the inverter.

Indicates an intermittent connection somewhere.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Some good suggestions in this thread. I don't know if anyone suggested that the power amplifier may have developed some bad filter capacitors which can inject a large amount of noise (normally 60 Hz or multiples thereof) into your speakers.

If the setup works fine with "street power" and poorly with an inverter, you may need a True Sine Wave inverter to fix the problem.

If the system has the same issues on street power and an inverter, then I would disconnect everything and start by connecting speakers to amp, applying a signal from a DVD or music source, than trying one additional component at a time to see if there if the problem returns.

(I cannot comment further on the proper length of the ground wire. I am still chuckling over that. )

the length of the ground wire would not be critical in an application like this. however, at the very high end, Bill Ying claims that molecular interactions are optimized at that length. who knows? he has been right on many things....

Homairy

Banned
Oct 13, 2013
the length of the ground wire would not be critical in an application like this. however, at the very high end, Bill Ying claims that molecular interactions are optimized at that length. who knows? he has been right on many things....

I think Bill Ying is pulling your yang.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think Bill Ying is pulling your yang.

as i have said, many times, audio is art, as much as science. there are certain guys out there who have come up with things that defy logic, and they work. i would never scoff at Bill Ying..

Status
Not open for further replies.