How do I buy, and pay for, a car here with funds from the U.S.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
SuperCarros is a good way to get a feel for prices....

Let me know if want to talk to Gorgon..... saves a lot of time/leg work

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Better to talk to him about costs

If you want an Aston Martin DB5 circa 1985....vs a Toyota Corolla...... might be a difference

He's very easy to deal with.....and has the tools to detect 'tampering' by a tricky dealer

Reactions: etolw

Dawiky502

Aug 10, 2020
Santiago
I opened a bank account in popular this year, extremely easy. You just need to declare where your funds come from (rental, income , job , business etc) provide bank statements from you home country and your passport (you can't be here overstaying, that is start the process before the 30 days). It will take around 2 weeks to open.

Also buy Carfax clean only cars and be sure to get motor/transmission 1 year Warranty. I bought a car that the tranny failed 2 months after buying, warranty covered it and no issues after that. Transmission issues are hard to detect.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
I opened a bank account in popular this year, extremely easy. You just need to declare where your funds come from (rental, income , job , business etc) provide bank statements from you home country and your passport (you can't be here overstaying, that is start the process before the 30 days). It will take around 2 weeks to open.

Also buy Carfax clean only cars and be sure to get motor/transmission 1 year Warranty. I bought a car that the tranny failed 2 months after buying, warranty covered it and no issues after that. Transmission issues are hard to detect.
Popular and easy :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: They wanted first born:cool: Banco Cruz as easiest.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
From the experience of a couple friends and other posters on this forum, Banco Santa Cruz and Banreservas are the easiest banks in which to open an account. Not torture at all. Pretty easy. Stop by and ask what their requirements are.

Reactions: Neargale

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
In November I want to buy a car here and pay for it from a US bank. What are the problems associated with this transaction? I assume it is easier if I buy from a dealer vs a private seller? Si O no? Further complication is I do not have a bank account here. How do I make this transaction easy? Am I overthinking this? All suggestions welcome.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
My check was not certified. I gave him the check and he gave me the car keys. Pretty simple. But that was 15 years ago.

15 years ago, the 1985 Honda Civic Sedan turned 20. Now, still going strong as a carro publico at 35. Did your's come with the Dashboard Doggie Bobblehead or Fuzzy Dice included?
1601136786126.png

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My suspicions would have been raised. Why is he so trusting, or so anxious to get rid of this car. That's just me. LOL

DR has very severe penalties for writing a bad check, from what I’ve seen, worse than back in USA.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Use a dealer, go to their offices and make sure it's a proper company. I always bought new cars from Auto Assesores on Independencia and they are very reputable. And then just do an electronic transfer for the money to their bank account. Don't buy from a person, always buy from a proper big dealer with a big showroom, they would have far too much to lose by stealing your money.

I would also recommend using Coalcava to get your insurance, I have used them for many years, and they have always been excellent - they also help a lot if you need to claim on your insurance. The lady is called Zaide, http://www.coalcava.com/ . I have no association with them, i"m just a happy customer.