How Does one move?

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
First learn what this place is!

It is not the Dominican, the dominican is a person or thing it is not a place, this is the Dominican Republic or the DR, clear?

To refer to the DR as the Domnican is a simple show of ignorance and you do not belong here!

g'luck

Buddy whats the big deal with calling THE DOMINICAN the dominican haha...all my dominican friends in Canada call it the dominican, my american friends here in dr ( that are dominicans but have lived in the US and speak english) call it the DR...so really bud, dont be so rude to the OP about such a pointless issue, it tells alot about yourself, you seem to have some built up anger or something ..CLEAR?

Reactions: Bronxboy

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I agree, this guy sounds like he has issues. I call this place the Republic or the Dominican and never use Dominican Republic, I don't consider myself rude or ignorant and I certainly belong here, I have my family here. He needs to get a grip, nothing short of bullying as he has nothing else to say that will grab attention. Way out of line..

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have been to mexico multiple times as well and the states.. I have been to dominican yes 3 times on vacation yes I know the city is different then resorts i know this.

I assume your experiences in both the DR and Mexico have been in resorts? While acknowledging that resorts and life outside of them are worlds apart, you cannot appreciate just how vast the difference is (no comparison actually) unless you have experienced it mutliple times as a fully-fledged independent traveller.

If you can say that you have fulfilled the above, you may be ready to contemplate a long term stay as a trial. Until such time, I would stay put if I were in your shoes.

Life experience is great, and very important, but it wont pay your bills or put a roof over your head. You keep on mentioning how young you are...which is why now is the time to upgrade your education, get something concrete to offer the world, and then set off in search of life experience.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I assume your experiences in both the DR and Mexico have been in resorts? While acknowledging that resorts and life outside of them are worlds apart, you cannot appreciate just how vast the difference is (no comparison actually) unless you have experienced it mutliple times as a fully-fledged independent traveller.

If you can say that you have fulfilled the above, you may be ready to contemplate a long term stay as a trial. Until such time, I would stay put if I were in your shoes.

Life experience is great, and very important, but it wont pay your bills or put a roof over your head. You keep on mentioning how young you are...which is why now is the time to upgrade your education, get something concrete to offer the world, and then set off in search of life experience.

It is not like it is a big thing coming to live in the D.R., sorry - THE DOMINICAN.

Lots of people do it.
I mean, if there was a war on or if there was real poverty on every street then sure, but the D.R., sorry THE DOMINICAN is actually pretty cushy - that is after all why people come here to live.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to Blonde Kitty,
You work hard in Canada and have a good paid job,
so I would guess you have some savings.
take that sum's Total, take away the rate for a Backflightticket and what You would need to start again back in canada, as Your Emergency backup, take away the cist for your ticket to come down here and some extrabucks for the first days at a cheap Hotel/Motel/Cabana while searching a Room/Appartment, the Plan B.
so with the rest of Your Savings we come to Plan A.
devide the Rest of available money by 12(months) and you know your monthly Budget available for You for a 1 Year's Time Period.
that available Budget is the decider to let you search for a decent Beachfront appartment in Punta Cana for $2000.-US per month or for a 5000.- pesos Shack somewhere else.
You are here and You have 1 Year to find a decent Job that pays your Bills and Appartment and Food etc etc etc.
if you mange to reach that point after the year You can stay, go on working and go on with your lifeexperience gathering while your job pays your Bills.
what happens If You loose Your Job or get Sick??
I don't know,
maybe you wanna take away some Backup Money from the Budget for such ocurrances, too.
I don't know anything about Your available Budget,
but in case there are just a few thousand Dollars on the Bank and nothing else,
then the Adventure may not last long.

good Luck
Mike

Reactions: Keith R
Now I am going to play devil's advocate for a moment.

I came to the D.R. on holiday and just never went home.
I had already left my country years before to go and live on whatever beaches were the most beautiful and had the coldest beer - granted I was 30 when I left and had a residual income - but I was by no means wealthy.

If I had waited until it made any kind of sense to pack up and leave then I would still be planning it.
The only thing to do is pack a suitcase and dive in head first.
If you still have the support network of family then should it not work out you can always call for help - there is no shame in that.
In fact that is what I aspire to as a parent - always being there.

I have always had the family network that would bail me out if it ever did get out of hand - I think! - I hope I never have to find out!
Maybe I am too old to be bailed out at this stage?
Luckily it never happened like that - but what I do know is that you can lose everything in a flash - I have seen it happen for many people in Haiti, where I live most of the time these days.
For me the risk would be to not do something when I had the opportunity, and to lose that opportunity.

I planned nothing - just went where the wind blew me and it it blew me to the D.R.

Since then I ended up getting married, having a kid, getting a job etc.....

Some people miss "home". I never did.
I soon realised that home is not a place it is a bunch of people.
Funnily enough, as soon as I started living in nice places, these people would come and visit. That is nice because you have an excuse to do all the touristy things that you never get round to doing.

I was reckless and I was lucky.

What I will say is that the people who do manage to "escape" have a certain something about them. Good or bad - they all had the gumption to actually get up and do something spectacular.
I have seen them come and I have seen them go - but for me the key is that you are "running towards something" not "running away from something".

So the question in the thread title is - How does one move?
The answer is "one moves forward."

What is the worst that can happen? :bunny:

Im buying my one way ticket as we speak!!!! Im outta here, moving to paradise whoopieeeee, hold on damm i have to goto work tommorow. :(

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Im buying my one way ticket as we speak!!!! Im outta here, moving to paradise whoopieeeee, hold on damm i have to goto work tommorow. :(

And that is the reason most people do not do it - work.

I never had a real job until I was 37.
And you know what?
I kind of like it.

Funny - most people give up work to come here - I came here and got my first proper job.

I am doing this all wrong.

But at least my mum is proud of me now....:bunny:

And there would be no challenge for you to live here - from what I have read and heard - you know better than almost anyone how to "Do the Dominican Republic"

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Apologies, but it is Sunday and it is traditional here on a Sunday for some long time poster to create a new identity and post a sob-story in the Mars and Venus forum.

On the serious side - the thing you will need the most is good luck, a thick skin and a sense of humour.
If you enjoy your own company, do not get bored easily, read a lot of books and can get used to the bizarre ways of the Dominican system then you should be fine.

There is no work here that would be fulfilling.
Sure, a job in a call center is fine if it is short term or if you have a good reason to get up in the morning and go to work - like a kid, for example.
But as an existence it would soon get tiresome for most people.

It is difficult to make money if you want to be paid to think or to be creative in your work.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you cannot save money here.
To reintegrate back into a wealthier country can be complicated.
Once your savings are eroded, your chances of being able to move back home comfortably are seriously reduced.

You will knock yourself back years - and that can be important if you are young.

I love it but then I am a bit odd - and I do not rely on the D.R. for a living.

I wanna be like this guy!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I'm an experienced house painter I'm certified and I have been working for communications for two years.. It's true that I don't have my highschool education but I did upgrade in college.. I also am learning spanish..I have worked hard and I have a good job in canada but I'm honestly not scared of my lack of college degrees in all honesty ... I'm 23 I didn't want to experience life sitting in a classroom . I prefer to learn by experiencing life.

There are hundreds of thousands of house painters here - (wow- they CERTIFY house painters in Canada?) They must make a lot of money there - for you to have been able to afford to travel.

I do not actually understand how you can "upgrade" in college if you did not finish high school? Most of the young "front desk" types in the resorts actually live on the resort - have their housing and food included. And most have their University degrees in tourism.

We have had this discussion more than once with young people wanting to come here to work. If you have some teaching skills - even just ESL certificate, you may find work... but ... without excellent Spanish... well...

Reactions: MikeFisher

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Now I am going to play devil's advocate for a moment.

I came to the D.R. on holiday and just never went home.
I had already left my country years before to go and live on whatever beaches were the most beautiful and had the coldest beer - granted I was 30 when I left and had a residual income - but I was by no means wealthy.

If I had waited until it made any kind of sense to pack up and leave then I would still be planning it.
The only thing to do is pack a suitcase and dive in head first.
If you still have the support network of family then should it not work out you can always call for help - there is no shame in that.
In fact that is what I aspire to as a parent - always being there.

I have always had the family network that would bail me out if it ever did get out of hand - I think! - I hope I never have to find out!
Maybe I am too old to be bailed out at this stage?
Luckily it never happened like that - but what I do know is that you can lose everything in a flash - I have seen it happen for many people in Haiti, where I live most of the time these days.
For me the risk would be to not do something when I had the opportunity, and to lose that opportunity.

I planned nothing - just went where the wind blew me and it it blew me to the D.R.

Since then I ended up getting married, having a kid, getting a job etc.....

Some people miss "home". I never did.
I soon realised that home is not a place it is a bunch of people.
Funnily enough, as soon as I started living in nice places, these people would come and visit. That is nice because you have an excuse to do all the touristy things that you never get round to doing.

I was reckless and I was lucky.

What I will say is that the people who do manage to "escape" have a certain something about them. Good or bad - they all had the gumption to actually get up and do something spectacular.
I have seen them come and I have seen them go - but for me the key is that you are "running towards something" not "running away from something".

So the question in the thread title is - How does one move?
The answer is "one moves forward."

What is the worst that can happen? :bunny:

You picked the wrong name. YOU should be The Exalted Maha-rishi Pedro Swami Cis-Boom Bah.

Reactions: waytogo

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Friends!!! HAH!!!!

"Friends" here can cost BIG TIME!

FWIW: the single WORST criteria for accepting one as a "friend" is speaking the same language. That just means when you get screwed you understood the words while getting screwed.

In the Gershwin play "Porgy and Bess" there is a song "A woman is a sometime thing". You can rearrange that to be "Porgy y Bess, Tema Dominicana" and the song is "A friend is a sometime thing." And you know its true if you have any here.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Or maybe as my gran says - I am a lazy ne're do well who never took his responsibilities seriously and just bummed around having fun all the time....

Ah well.....

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

This isn't about education, she didn't need info on what to do for her long term future, she seems quite content without it and I don't blame her, education doesn't mean success. Chances are she will spend more money in an education than she would living here dossing about, making phone calls all day, yes she will have nothing material at the end of it, only lifes education and probably a good sense of what not to do in the republic to exist. I ran off to Europe at 16 with nothing more than a guitar, and thumb drum and some firesticks, I'll miss out the long story but I did very well for myself up until I came here. Within those 20 odd years I put myself back into education in my mid 20's, spent ALOT of money and used up 4 years of earning and living time with a bunch of tossers all getting educated because there were no real jobs out there. I still am yet to use that education, probably never will.
The main advice this girl needs is if she is going to come then do not come for the BBC, come for yourself and be careful who she has for her friends, she seems a little trusting not to get stung here.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
In the Gershwin play "Porgy and Bess" there is a song "A woman is a sometime thing". You can rearrange that to be "Porgy y Bess, Tema Dominicana" and the song is "A friend is a sometime thing." And you know its true if you have any here.

right,
it is True in case of ""Friends"" anywhere.
Real Friends who sell their car to Bail You out of something are a Rare Species on the Globe, a very Valuable rare Species.
a real friend for sure is not somebody nice met on vacation or such, a Real friend is somebody you knowsince a very long Time, someone who passed through Deep **** with ya.
Mike

spicycat

Sep 26, 2010
I don't honestly plan on making thousands there this isn't really my goal.l want to learn about the D.R lolol.... and not make millions...I didn't want to have a huge job that is corporate either... I would be fine with scrubbing floors all day..I honestly just want to experience a different way of life..for a bit.. Experience someone elses way of life would be a great experience I love to learn new things.. Education I know sooo many people here in canada that go to school and end up working the same job as me.. in fact I work with a girl that has a degree.... do you know how expensive school is??? it's insane ... for me I can't justify sitting in a desk for 8 hours a day and pay them tons of money and not expeirence life.. for me its about experiences I would rahter pay tons of money for experience.. I want to break the mold here... everyone says go to school get married.. have babies buy a house have a dog... I honestly do not feel this way... it's just the complete opposite of what I want to do...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
bad person???

Apparently you must be a bad person because you did not finish school!

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Incidentally, I have never needed the degree or been asked to show the certs - ever.
To be honest I would be a bit embarrassed having a degree in music if I was applying for a job.:bunny:

Lack of a formal education doesn't make one a "bad person". It makes them an unprepared person. Unless this young Lady has some as-of-yet undiscovered talent beyond paint roller operation and answering the telephone (not that those aren't lofty career goals) then my guess is that however stuck in a career rut she may be in Canada, she'll find that her options there are far more attractive than she'll find waiting for her in the "Dominican".

I can't speak for you but I've noticed that the World I grew up in looks nothing like the World my children grew up in. I bought my 1st house (NJ) at 25 years of age with 10% down and my wife didn't work. This is not an option in today's economy without proper preparation. By the time I was 30 I made more money annually than that house cost (in 1979).

There are other threads on DR1 where we've discussed the growing divide between the rich and the poor in the face of a shrinking middle class and if anything that gap is amplified by the Dominican economic realities.

I wasn't berating the OP. I was telling her exactly what I'd tell one of my daughters if they came home at 23 talking about moving to another country. The tat's, spike hair and piercings...just an attention getter to drive home a point. A high school equivalency is a bare minimum if she wants any prospective employer to ever take her seriously and a fundamental understanding of Spanish is an absolute must. At least with those minimum requirements she could answer an ad for "Rubia Wanted".

I'm not preaching and I'm not judging. I'm just trying to help.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Buddy whats the big deal with calling THE DOMINICAN the dominican haha...all my dominican friends in Canada call it the dominican, my american friends here in dr

Proper English- It's either right or wrong. You can not have it both ways.

Do?min?i?can  (duh-min-i-kuhn]
–adjective
1. of or pertaining to St. Dominic or the Dominicans.
2. of or pertaining to the Commonwealth of Dominica or the Dominican Republic.
-noun
1. a native or inhabitant of the Dominican Republic.
2. a native or inhabitant of the Commonwealth of Dominica.

Dominican Republic (DR)
–noun
1. a republic in the West Indies, occupying the eastern part of the island of Hispaniola.

"The Dominican"
-slang
1. an uncouth and rough word(s) for DR not generally accepted as proper english or "ghetto" for DR (a dope style of speech that is way more fun than the way your english teacher tought you to speak).
:glasses: