How many KWH are you using?

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
most the time here in DR cooking and hot water is with gas no electricity

Damm, you ever consider a small nuclear plant once in a while I am "surprised" at the electric bill here in Florida but then I think "Hmm, 4 bucks a day for cooling, cooking, hot water and entertainment isn't a bad deal

May 5, 2007
Wow, talk about price differences.

Here in Atlanta, the cost is around 0.06 per KwH. That would make CCCC's bill less than 110 bucks.

FWIW, I pay around $200 a month during the summer to keep a very small dog very cool in a very big house, lol.

Rob, that is what I thought until I looked up "Cheapest electric rates in US and found Florida was .10 and not .06 when you add in all the fuel surcharges, generating costs, maintenance (What is the actual rate for anyway?) it is .11 per hour, still an OK deal According to chart you are paying avg of 9,61 (with everything included) just about National avg No idea when this chart was constructed of course

To keep it somewhat DR related I was simply trying to compare cost of electricity in DR to my home in USA for future purpose My conclusion is that if I do move to DR I will factor in a small nuclear plant as a cost of building a house

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
+/- 98kw each month since 3 months

Cargo fijo
31 dias, RD$ 37.95

Energia
98kWh X 4.44 RD$ 435.12

====

RD$473.07

all light low consumption, fridge new, computer, TVs, inverter, pump etc... 6 outside lights On all the night and no AC and have wind here !

How often are you home? How many hrs you think? Your numbers are great

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I've often wondered how much fuel I would use each month for my own 8kw gas(propane) generator running 24/7

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Wow, talk about price differences.

Here in Atlanta, the cost is around 0.06 per KwH. That would make CCCC's bill less than 110 bucks.

FWIW, I pay around $200 a month during the summer to keep a very small dog very cool in a very big house, lol.

Does Atl have summer and winter rates? In the mid Atlantic states rates go down in the winter.

My lowest bill here for a full 30 days was 850 pesos. I've never had a bill that low back in the states. After taxes I could leave my house for 23 days and still have a higher bill. I guess the key is to not breach that 700kwh and not live in Bavaro. LOL

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I asked La Abuela about a gas Fridge when she complained about the electric prices. She said too much $$. Anybody use a gas fridge?

Forgot about that, and depending on source gas can be very cheap

If I had option for new construction I would use gas for everything possible

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
July 2014 from Luz y Fuerza, Las Terrenas. 476 Kwh @ 20.65 = RD$ 9829.40. Exhorbitant! 1 x freezer, 2 x fridges, pool pump, 2 hours a day,
well pump only as required to fill tinaco and on weekly washing day, TV, HiFi. We are gradually switching to LED bulbs and already the bill is lower. No A/C. --- any more bright ideas?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
You are lucky you dont live in Bavaro, where 20.65 a kilowatt I would kill for!!

Average Bill here small 2 bedroom CONDO running the AC from 5pm till 7am every day.. $USD300 to $USD350 oh and we dont cook, but use the washing machine 2 times per week... Bavaro Rip off.. but I still love the place!! :classic:

I'm in Bavaro and only pay 14.98 per kilowatt. How is that? I though everyone paid the same with CEPM.

I average around 550 kWh per month. Two refrigerators, big-screen TV, multiple computers, several fans running all day, 1 AC in the bedroom but only for 3 hours a night. Hot water turned on for 15 mins a day before showers.

Monthly bill is around RD$8500

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
OP -
how many kWhrs are you using ?
For us we use on average 560 kWhr per month with a high in Agust of 648 and a low in January of 456.
This is for a 4 bd villa (340SM) with pool, standard TGM A/C (10,000 BTHU ) in all bedrooms used during the summer months at night, electric water heater on timer on for 1 hour in the morning not on in Summer months, invertor with 12 batteries turned down to 26.2 volts with two solar helper panels directly onto the batteries with no controller, LED TV, Fans , washing machine, Fridge/Freeze, Chest Freezer, CFL bulbs,three computers and Generator run twice a month for maintenance and battery recharging/equalization. About 6 hours each time.

We were higher than that but the change to an LED TV made a big difference. Also the Solar Battery Helpers save quite a bit and only setting the inverter to charge to 26.2 rather than the 27.3 usually used. The batteries are a mix of one bank 2 years old, one bank 1 year old and the third bank a mixture of old but good batteries some of which are five years old.

We manage a comfortable life but whist attentive to power consumed not stingey!

Olly and the Team

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
OP -
how many kWhrs are you using ?
For us we use on average 560 kWhr per month with a high in Agust of 648 and a low in January of 456.
This is for a 4 bd villa (340SM) with pool, standard TGM A/C (10,000 BTHU ) in all bedrooms used during the summer months at night, electric water heater on timer on for 1 hour in the morning not on in Summer months, invertor with 12 batteries turned down to 26.2 volts with two solar helper panels directly onto the batteries with no controller, LED TV, Fans , washing machine, Fridge/Freeze, Chest Freezer, CFL bulbs,three computers and Generator run twice a month for maintenance and battery recharging/equalization. About 6 hours each time.

We were higher than that but the change to an LED TV made a big difference. Also the Solar Battery Helpers save quite a bit and only setting the inverter to charge to 26.2 rather than the 27.3 usually used. The batteries are a mix of one bank 2 years old, one bank 1 year old and the third bank a mixture of old but good batteries some of which are five years old.

We manage a comfortable life but whist attentive to power consumed not stingey!

Olly and the Team

I'm using around 300kwh

One bedroom with AC, fan in living room. One macmini attached to LED tv on all day running slingbox, netflix etc.

Try to use items that run on battery. Latop, tablet, phone, speaker. Also try to get more often.

Do you guys keep chargers plugged in an outlet? Also does anyone use one of those solar panel chargers, does it work and how well?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I'm using around 300kwh

One bedroom with AC, fan in living room. One macmini attached to LED tv on all day running slingbox, netflix etc.

Try to use items that run on battery. Latop, tablet, phone, speaker. Also try to get more often.

Do you guys keep chargers plugged in an outlet? Also does anyone use one of those solar panel chargers, does it work and how well?

I have one u can charge phones and cameras and stuff on. Works ok. Small backpack style solar panel. Decathlon ( for any french out there ).
Cant remember the price but inexpensive.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"SIX", I "Run The #s" about running my "planta" all the time, it's still not economically worth it.
Besides the cost the "Planta",& fuel, you have maintenance, and "NOISE"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
CCc - Not sure what you are saying ?
We only run it twice a month to keep it OK. Only really need to run it once a month but twice is better. Costs -about 2 galls Diesel each time so for the month 1000 RD$. Savings - a days worth of electricity eact time as we run the batteries down during the day and recharge/Equalise at night and make use of the extra power to run A/C , pool pumps etc during the night so get double benefit.
We use about 20 kWhs per day so we save 400 RD$ if at around 500 to 600 kWhs and much more by not having to go over 700 kWhs when every unit costs 11.18 RD$
So the net cost is about 600 RD$ per month and the Generator is availalbe all the time ! Starts when you really need it!

So CCCccc what was your point!

Olly and the Team

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My "POINT" was in response to the post by "drSix" asking about costs running a propane generator 24/7.
Nothing for you.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
JD - thats too high . I know someone with one of these - 12kW so will ask him. The specs are also useful in you Google Genrac Standby Generators
On our 12kW Diesel we use about 0.34 Gals on light load and abou 0.45 gals od diesel on heavy load..

Olly and the Team