How much and How often do you add water to your pool?

Decade in DR

Banned
Jan 28, 2016
My leak turned out to be a skimmer crack. I noticed it when we had a swarm of flying ants. They were drawn to the pool lights and drowned. But interestingly when their wings fell off, they slowly made their way to the leak!

So there you go. Proven pool leak detector.....ant wings!
All debris eventually finds its way to leaks and temporarily stops the leak, or at least, drastically slows it down. True with liner leaks too.
Great for the diver who charges $250 bucks a pop.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Use the same type of camera/scope they use to check drain pipes in homes to find a leak...
pros have that kind of stuff and dye tests. its all on the internet. there is a highly recommended pool builder on DR1 I am sure they can help find it. usa you can rent not sure here if they are. maybe SD

NHS

May 2, 2010
there is a realy reputable guy in sosua, he is on nice people networking, highly recommended and reliable, honest and comes with references, the website is caribbeansandsgroup.com, give him a call,,

NHS

May 2, 2010
our guy didn't charge 250 dollars ,lol ,pipe inspector,hmmm what happens when it gets stuck in one of the 90 degree bends then you have a bigger problem,another thing,most Dominicans wont even get into your pool because they cant swim

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
This from my husband: If the pool filter is situated below your pool and the five way filter valve is below the high water level in your pool, the pool water may be leaking out through the five way valve after back flush. The gasket in the valve may be defective or it's not seating properly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In summer time, i have to constanly add water. Evaporation and rinsing of sand pump once a day.
With the recent heavy rains, i havent had to add recently.

Why are you rinsing the filter daily? That is not recommended.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Why are you rinsing the filter daily? That is not recommended.

The lack of water this summer made me "abandon" the pool, no possibility to vacum due to low water level.
Its the campo, lots and lots of dirt flying around.
The "street water"/mains, is dirty, dirty water.

And I noticed that if I didnt rinse the filter, the next day when i start to filter, some dirty water is the first to squirt out of the nozzles.

Even when the pool is clean and the water nice and clean, I have to vacum every 2 days. And rinse the filter.

P.S. its a dominican built pool, I have had tons of trouble.
The buisness who built it, connected the pump to 110 instead of 220......duuh. bloody thing was always overheating.
Through them I got an old guy to come round. I wanted a cristal clear pool for a bunch of family and friends comimg over. Diagnostic. Filter has a problem. He unscrews everyrhing and proudly said it was so clogged up with sand, no wonder it wasnt filtering.
But, but, but its a SAND FILTER !!!! :( :(

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
If you want to know if your pool leaks.....get bucket of water place beside pool....in a couple of days measure lose on both..
If similar it's evaporation if pool is more then bucket it's pool or plumbing of pool...good luck*

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I don?t own a swimming pool :(
but I did used to live in a building with one on the roof back home.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
GreatLife

if you have an infinity edge, water evaporates faster PLUS
any wind will affect the pool more than the bucket.

For leaks, big ones, your idea might work

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
That's how it's done here in Canada and it works try it..... google it :)*
Ps William if you can't find your horseradish and your in North coast ,let me know I bring my own in for steaks and prime rib I'm back end of November.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks, I drag it with me too.... in small batches for a carryon.

I'm Canadian
I'm just saying, spraying/falling water over the edge of a pool affects the evaporation rate..Google that
Plus I get serious breezes (read wind) across my pool.
I doubt that wind could/would detour down into a bucket to simulate the effect of air passing over a large flt surface of water..

Prof WW... Science Dept

hahaha

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Since you fellow Canuck I will play nice lol... dang no wonder you have infinity pool... We p.eng's can only afford reg pool sometimes with water .. it worked for me at home and villa and it's windy on hills in *Sosua.. I thought this summer my pool had leak at villa happy to find out evaporation..*

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It's when rich people run out of money to finish pool on one side and wall is slightly lower ....google your fren...;) pictures explain better