how to stay safe - tips from dominican police

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we discussed the issue of stopping for the police few times. let's not go there anymore.

i found the tips very helpful. especially the one about not entering the property straight away at night. indeed it is better to ride around the block, looking into the mirrors. it is easy to spot a car following you in a residential area, much easier than on the open road.

when i come home i stay in the car, locked in, until gates shut down completely. only then i get out of the car...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am not scared, it's more like a habit, forced on me by miesposo. when i arrive home late at night alone i am always more careful. i have already been attacked in DR once and i had a gun put against my head. i kinda do not look forward to going through that again...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have nothing. no gun, taser or spray. i'm not exactly fit to use that stuff, i'd probably knock myself down first, before getting the attackers :(

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I can't stand it when it doesn't let me like the posts!!! Good article and tips but the best is don't stop when the cops try to pull you over ;-)

sometimes the like button doesn't work if you follow the link from the home page to the thread. back up and come through "forums" ... "the thread you want to read" ... "the post you like"... and the like button should work.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
really?, you are that scared?

It's a good safety tip. I do that all the time when I arrive home late. Never go straight through the gate if I see any car behind me or coming from the other side, or people walking on the sidewalk. There is a 24/7 gas station right in front of my condo, so if I think something's not right I stop at the gas station and take a good look from there. Having lived in Mexico and Venezuela gave me a lot of training on these matters.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know, pollo. a while ago some old dude was killed close to the pharmacy. head smashed in. money taken: 72 pesos...

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Exactly. I've been here almost 2 years and I am very lucky that nothing ever happened to me. Most of the time when I go out, I look poorer than Dominicans so they never think to attack me...

Never been bothered by the police either, but I know what to do.... play dumb.... speak French so they won't think that I am American as I am sure that they don't like Americans...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Never been bothered by the police either, but I know what to do.... play dumb.... speak French so they won't think that I am American as I am sure that they don't like Americans...

Those must be some unusually educated cops if they can tell french from english , LOL. For most, you're still a gring@, just not from NY, but from a nearby town...

Dec 26, 2011
i don't know, pollo. a while ago some old dude was killed close to the pharmacy. head smashed in. money taken: 72 pesos...

I mean about returning home to a place without gates where you've got nothing out of the ordinary. It's universal. Que descanse en paz el viejo. :(

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Everytime I read an article about how crime is going up or this person got attacked it ****es me off so much. If I a simple citizen can think of many ways of curving this problem, why can't these assholes that are elected do the same? Here are some things Ive thought about that should immediately be done:
* Fire/retire any police office who has been suspected of committing a felony. By it by rumors or a report from a citizen. The officers gun and "badge" will be removed however, there salary will remain for 3 years. They will be given an offer: If you remain free of any crime you will be given a Visa to leave the country in 5 years. Of course, this will affect 80%-90% of the current police. Which brings us to my second point.
* Raise the standard to hiring new officers. The requirements are at least 100 college credits. A minimum salary of $25K monthly, and salary increases as your rank/age with the force increases.
* An increase in rank is only possible if you apprehend or solve x amount of crimes.
* Immediately stop using those gas guzzling pickup trucks they use. Start using the small minivan that Claro and Tricom use. Equip it with 2-3 officers per vehicle. For each Nissan Frontier we could probably get 2 or even 3 of those vans.
* Create mobilized police stations and equip them with no less than 5 officers on site while the other officers patrol.
* Create a new tax on small and large businesses. The tax will only be implemented if they don't have security cameras installed. This will force many businesses to start using them so that criminals can be identified.
* Hire Rudolf Guilianni as a consultant.
LAW
* Change the current system so that anyone accused of armed robbery (with a gun) be held (coercion) for a minimum of 3 years. The maximum sentence will be 25 years to life. This will force criminals to negotiate with authorities to hand over there buddies. Also, this will cause current criminals to consider robbing with a knife, since robbing with a gun carries a much higher sentence.
* Change the law so that police can conduct covert operations such as: undercover police roaming the streets with jewelry to atract would be thhieves. Also, set up decoy vehicles and desert them in barrios with doors unlocked and keys inside.
* Enforce the 3 strikes your out law. Any person who commits 3 crimes, and one of them is armed robbery, robbery of property valued at $3,000 or more will automatically serve a life sentence.
* Introduce the death penalty but only for individuals who have "commited" more than 2 murders. What currently occurs is the killers admit to murders they have't commited because they know they won't get more than 30 years. This way the killers of the other murders, there friend, wont serve any time. The death penanlty can be used as a tool to force criminals to give up there buddies.
* Intriduce a law similar to RICO; in which the head of a crime organization can be held for the crimes their members commit.
* Apply silly laws to put criminals away for good. Police know who the criminals are but since they dont catch them in the act its not possible to put them away. By creating laws such as driving around after 8pm can carry a penalty of 5 years in jail without a cedula, you can use that to put away criminals that roam the night looking for a victim.

Fuerzas Armadas
*Convert them to an auxilary police; in which they will be used to aid police officers. We don't need a FA; I know some may say well who will protect the border? Thats the point, instead of having a FA we could assign a border police which will specialize with border issues.

I have tons more of ideas Ive thought of since moving here in Nov of 12. As far as the article goes I follow those suggestions plus a lot more. Such as.....
1. Never talk about money in front of strangers, specially in a bank.
2. Use the bank in a plaza rather than in a building by itself. Usually the Plaza has armed guards from all banks.
3. Always use a multilock on your vehicle; even if your just going to leave your car for 5 minutes.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I would suggest better concerning the thieves. Shot them right away on site. Don't waste time and money on them.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I am going to smear human feces and urine all over the drivers side door and some on the hood so no one will want to approach my vehicle......

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
They will be given an offer: If you remain free of any crime you will be given a Visa to leave the country in 5 years.
Excuse me, it's not Cuba here, they don't need a visa to leave the country, they need visa to enter US or another normal country.

The better solution is to put ALL of the PN members on a barge and send them to Africa (that's the only place in the world that will not send them back).

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Everytime I read an article about how crime is going up or this person got attacked it ****es me off so much. If I a simple citizen can think of many ways of curving this problem, why can't these assholes that are elected do the same? Here are some things Ive thought about that should immediately be done:
* Fire/retire any police office who has been suspected of committing a felony. By it by rumors or a report from a citizen. The officers gun and "badge" will be removed however, there salary will remain for 3 years. They will be given an offer: If you remain free of any crime you will be given a Visa to leave the country in 5 years. Of course, this will affect 80%-90% of the current police. Which brings us to my second point.
* Raise the standard to hiring new officers. The requirements are at least 100 college credits. A minimum salary of $25K monthly, and salary increases as your rank/age with the force increases.
* An increase in rank is only possible if you apprehend or solve x amount of crimes.
* Immediately stop using those gas guzzling pickup trucks they use. Start using the small minivan that Claro and Tricom use. Equip it with 2-3 officers per vehicle. For each Nissan Frontier we could probably get 2 or even 3 of those vans.
* Create mobilized police stations and equip them with no less than 5 officers on site while the other officers patrol.
* Create a new tax on small and large businesses. The tax will only be implemented if they don't have security cameras installed. This will force many businesses to start using them so that criminals can be identified.
* Hire Rudolf Guilianni as a consultant.
LAW
* Change the current system so that anyone accused of armed robbery (with a gun) be held (coercion) for a minimum of 3 years. The maximum sentence will be 25 years to life. This will force criminals to negotiate with authorities to hand over there buddies. Also, this will cause current criminals to consider robbing with a knife, since robbing with a gun carries a much higher sentence.
* Change the law so that police can conduct covert operations such as: undercover police roaming the streets with jewelry to atract would be thhieves. Also, set up decoy vehicles and desert them in barrios with doors unlocked and keys inside.
* Enforce the 3 strikes your out law. Any person who commits 3 crimes, and one of them is armed robbery, robbery of property valued at $3,000 or more will automatically serve a life sentence.
* Introduce the death penalty but only for individuals who have "commited" more than 2 murders. What currently occurs is the killers admit to murders they have't commited because they know they won't get more than 30 years. This way the killers of the other murders, there friend, wont serve any time. The death penanlty can be used as a tool to force criminals to give up there buddies.
* Intriduce a law similar to RICO; in which the head of a crime organization can be held for the crimes their members commit.
* Apply silly laws to put criminals away for good. Police know who the criminals are but since they dont catch them in the act its not possible to put them away. By creating laws such as driving around after 8pm can carry a penalty of 5 years in jail without a cedula, you can use that to put away criminals that roam the night looking for a victim.

Fuerzas Armadas
*Convert them to an auxilary police; in which they will be used to aid police officers. We don't need a FA; I know some may say well who will protect the border? Thats the point, instead of having a FA we could assign a border police which will specialize with border issues.

I have tons more of ideas Ive thought of since moving here in Nov of 12. As far as the article goes I follow those suggestions plus a lot more. Such as.....
1. Never talk about money in front of strangers, specially in a bank.
2. Use the bank in a plaza rather than in a building by itself. Usually the Plaza has armed guards from all banks.
3. Always use a multilock on your vehicle; even if your just going to leave your car for 5 minutes.

The police job is not to STOP crime and violence their job is to bring to justice the people who commit crimes, the people you should have a problem with are the criminals parents.

That guy did not break into your home or car because the police are not doing their job, he broke into your home and robbed you at gunpoint because he parents FAILED him and society whispered in his ear Pssss "CRIME DOES PAY just look at how they treat you. You deserve a Iphone just like that girl that just walked passed you, NOW go TAKE IT and don't take no for an answer."

Now you see how crime works.