how to survive semana santa

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Run, hide, lock the doors.. The SEMANA SANTAs (Os) ARE COMING FOR YOU!!!!!!!
Lions, tigers, bears (and Dominicans) OH MY!

Haha, you'd think that the way everyone reacts, I know you are joking, but some aren't.

I have to wonder where you people live, or if you just presume through
DR1 threads that it is a massacre over SS. Capital is quiet, South Coas beaches are busy. EastCoast beaches are busy.
Central, well everyone goes to the coast, other than the family gatherings. Have you people on the NorthCoast never
thought it is the perfect time of the year to go elsewhere in the country rather than staying home, because of the 'driving',
I mean. I know most of you are joking, but I get the feeling some people actual do feel that SS is a danger to them.
I must admit I think it is funny, and play along on DR1, but never have I ever considered not doing something, or going somewhere
because the driving is crazy, haha. You're living in the wrong country if worried about these things.
The only difference on SS is that more gutter rats are mixing with more working class and upper class. I think if you keep
an eye on incidents throughout the year, your chance of being involved in traffic incidents doesn't go up much. Those crashing
in the city are crashing at the coast. It is just condensing the area of probability and i don't think anything to worry about.
But if we thought logically that would take away the SS death poll, and so carry on.

And my prediction is nothing to do with traffic this year.

Last edited:

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
This is my favorite weekend of the year. Get out and enjoy the culture. Experience the Dominican Republic and respect their culture.. Talk and engage with the local people - they are GREAT.

There is zero need to stay home. I love this weekend

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Beach at Playa Najayo is already jammed, cars everywhere, wall to wall people. I can only imagine the next 4 days if it's like this today.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
This is my favorite weekend of the year. Get out and enjoy the culture. Experience the Dominican Republic and respect their culture.. Talk and engage with the local people - they are GREAT.

Agreed, some are 'too many Dominicans, being Dominican, got to hide', which kind of makes me wonder why they didn't choose a none Dominican country to live. I always enjoyed SS as well more than any other time, get to see EVERYONE you know in the same place. The clearing of bad air, the realization that there is something inherent in Dominicans that makes them unique, no matter what class of society they are from. Something you need to have stepped out of the bubble to know.
But I know where AE is, and is that not now the first free beach from the Capital? They've pretty much tolled the others leading up through parking costs. Will be very busy because of this. I know there are a few guys punting for car protection pesos but it's not a chained up situation as they have done down the road.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
there is no culture to enjoy. just noise, dirt and excess of booze.

LOL, this is the Dominican weekend that is exactly a part of the culture. "Culture" is not always art and opera and the like. This IS a part of the Dominican culture, like it or not.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
there is no culture to enjoy. just noise, dirt and excess of booze.

Kind of like the 4th of July in states ................ well exactly like the 4th of July. A that IS a part of the culture. Get out and enjoy it or sit in denial. LOL

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't even know what 4th of july is.

semana santa i'm staying home. if you want to mingle with autochthons have fun. to each their own.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
i don't even know what 4th of july is.

semana santa i'm staying home. if you want to mingle with autochthons have fun. to each their own.

Exactly - no need to trash any other culture because it doesn't agree with your view

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Why thank-you. Not exactly sure why she couldn't state that but oh well. Off to sleep here, but I am sure that all will enjoy living in their own little world and taking enjoyment from trashing those who don't conform to their ideals

It's always nice to live in our own little world - and nothing wrong with that. Just realize, there is a whole universe beyond that, and maybe, just maybe , we need to accept that.

On that note, this whole forum has turned from a source of information to a source of humor. Not sure of that is progress r not but goodbye.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
As far as over the top behavior goes, Spring break trumps the hell out of Semana Santa..........me thinks.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

I was decidedly not a fan of SS when I managed a small hotel in Sosua for 3 years. But now that I am free of that? Yea. Maybe. But maybe not at Playa Sosua.

If they don't run out of umbrellas & chairs at Alicia, probably. And I will definitely hit one--or both--of my favorite fried fish Dominican restaurants. Maybe more than once.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Kind of like the 4th of July in states ................ well exactly like the 4th of July. A that IS a part of the culture. Get out and enjoy it or sit in denial. LOL

With all due respect: I am (sorry) but I'm American and the 4th of July bears absolutely no resemblance to Semana Santa. I am intimately acquainted with both. 4th is a weekend for cookouts, first time one can (semi-) comfortably swim in the waters of New England, some over-indulgence in food & booze, I freely admit. But the 4th is like vespers in a Trappist monastery compared to Semana Santa.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
back on topic, DL reports that small buses have been busy transporting folks since yesterday:
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...amizarse-la-tarde-de-este-miercoles-GX3132239

and they are putting extra seats (half price):

wmo7xe.jpg