I assume this is $1100 per month

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I recently had to send $90 to my GF for a Biopsy and tissue study. She had borrowed 5000 pesos from her uncle. If I hadn't promised to help pay she could not have had the procedure or do you think her uncle (who is not well off) would have just given her the 5000? since its all in the family. I would like an opinion which seems pretty easy to get from you guys/gals

Regardless, I felt it was my responsibility because her health and well being is very important to me.
Do as you please. No reason to ask stangers for advise.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thank you. I get the message. I have done a lot of fact finding on this matter. She has no siblings nor parents but a boatload of primas/primos.
I will have a discussion with you about what my involvement will be in their lives. I think she is honest enough to tell it like it is
I'll spare you the pain mi amigo. You don't owe me any discussion. Thanks for thinking of me.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Listen i could really use anybody's assistance in finding a place around Romana. Unfurnished. preferably 3 bedrooms. Looking to rent for at least a month or two. I know this is not easy but I would appreciate any help.

Thank you
Nike says "JUST DO IT"

DRforme

Oct 23, 2022
USA
Well after reading all about your aspirations to come to the DR I have just did some searching for you I have found a site for you to check out. Google “listado.mercadolibre.com.do“ they have 4 pages of rentals in and around la romana with varying prices. You might find something there that fits your plan. I do hope the best for you as it certainly sounds like you are planning this move on a wing and a prayer.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
I think Ken is a puppet of the sock variety. Now he wants an UNFURNISHED apartment for a month or 2. What are you going to do in an unfurnished apartment for 2 months Ken? Spread your food out on a plastic bag and eat on the floor? Roll your pants up for a pillow?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am asking for help if possible from anyone who is kind enough
With all due respect I think that with several treads on a variety of matters and the responses and opinions from people that live the life here in the DR, you have received an abundance of "help". There have some joking around in the answers but it's a way to say something that perhaps you don't want to hear. I guess it's about 6 months since you started this adventure and you have covered all the bases.But I don't think you're accepting the help, advise, tips and pointers, etc.
Pray tell, what more help can the members give you Ken? It's you life and dream. It's now up to you to be pro-active with boots on the ground. You can't hire a Ken2 to represent yourself here.

All of us wish you the best of luck. Many of us have had like and similar challenges to face at the beginning. It can be done but it's on you now.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Agreed Johne. Ken has been given some very good advice by many of the DR1 members. It is up to him now to either take the advice or not. Why start numerous threads asking questions and then argue the advice given?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have been reading along, but haven't posted in "Ken threads."

Reading these most recent posts, I am finding that the thought "Trainman" keeps running through my mind.

I sincerely hope that Ken is not Trainman-2!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I think remember Trainman333 or whatever his name was. He went back to his home country after finding out the hard way from his Dominican gf.
How long was he even on the island? Months? Years?

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
Lots of posters here having fun with you Ken. I remember your thread about meeting the woman in the AI, serving breakfast at the buffet. I'm going to stay away from that other than to say that you need to be very careful with women down here. I mean it when I say that 95%+ are not looking for nor interested in your "undying love". and that goes for whether you are a gringo or a native, but especially if you are a gringo. It just doesn't work that way. And if it does, you MUST be able to speak Spanish and MUST be someone that they truly desire, physically. That's just how it is.

That doesn't mean you can't have and share great times with great people but you really gotta look out for number 1 down here and set your limits and boundaries immediately and firmly or they WILL walk all over you and take advantage of you. Again, that's just how it is.

In other news - you are paying way too much for that place. Location, location location. It's a nice apartment but it's in La Romana, and La Romana is an especially dangerous city. IMO there also isn't much to do.

For example, I pay about half for a non-furnished place in Distrito Nacional. Very centrally located, safe street, chill neighbors, same specs as the place you listed - 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 parqueos. And it's in Santo Domingo. AND it's in DN. That place in La Romana simply *should not* cost as much, but as with Haiti you may be paying more simply based on the fact that there aren't as many nice places in La Romana as there are in Santo Domingo. There is tons more to do in Santo Domingo than there is in La Romana. And again, I pay ALMOST HALF of what they are offering the place you see at. Though I will admit it is furnished, and very nicely so. That said, lots of items down here hold their value pretty well when it comes time to resell them, especially if you take good care of them.

Reactions: JD Jones

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Or ends up in the same situation that Trainman did 😳

I was on a miami-santiago flight ( i think ) with Trainman and family.
I didnt know at the time, obviously. I realized during the saga on dr1, from some post that was made...... and oh boy ! you could just see it coming...... 😖😖😖

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
Search Trainman33 and read his posts. He was living a nightmare. Guy with some money, married the love of his life, bought her a beautiful home in Santiago. Not a fairytale ending.
I wonder how long if ever before the sort of targeted enforcement we see against "Romance Scams" in other parts of the world occurs in the DR?

Same exact game played in different places with very different end results in regards to police enforcement.

At the end of the day it's your job to cyoa but the girls down here are not novices, nor are their advisors and educators - read: mothers, aunts, cousins, sisters. And lots of guys are looking for something that just doesn't exist, at least not for them, or at least not how they think it does.

I hate to say it, I always have but unless you are a very certain type of guy your safest bet is to stick to being loved long time in Sosua. You'll find more honesty and straight shooting there than you will in most other parts of the country in regards to "love".

That said, there are definitely real girls here, real good women looking for good men. But you ain't in Kansas and they are a needle in a haystack.

Reactions: JD Jones