I axed Verizon today

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have just realized someone in my office building has wireless DSL now, unsecured. Now I am connected for free.
AZB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what deposit? was there any deposit?

we have this verizon thing too, works well, or rather COULD work ok since we have problems with electricity. but when there is luz - there's internet. we even have this wireless box, that still has to be wired (hmmm...), got it from the neighbour, who had the box, but no phone/internet and now he can use our network connection so from time to time we bump into him sitting on the stairs outside with his laptop.

seriously, there is a deposit?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They do some kind of credit check. If you pass no deposit. I gave the girl a large ice cream Sunday and I passed. No joke.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, one amazing thing: you can pay verizon bill on the telephone. you can change your phone/internet plan on the telephone.
try to do it in poland - NO WAY!
quite civilized, all this thing. of course the internet system in DR is largely powered by the hope of the users but that's ok, as long as it works.
before i moved here my friends kept on asking me: is there internet there? does it work? do they have computers?
LOL

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
OK...went to Verizon...asked to speak to manager....she came out...she assured me that in 24 hours it would be disconnected and I would not be responsible for anything beyond that. We shall see.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Make sure you have the name of the manager that told you this. Because when the bill comes you can give it to him. It will come, even if you are disconnected.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chavez axes Verizon

Venezuelan CANTV (Verizon) is down 36% today on the NYSE after President Chavez announced he will nationalize the company.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Wonder how

I wonder how this idea will affect Codetel, an Carlos Slim the new owner, as he also purchased the portion of CANTV that was owned by Verizon.
Its interesting due to the fact that the Government owns 51% of CANTV now. So in fact its already a national company.

News Story - Verizon Online

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I wonder how this idea will affect Codetel, an Carlos Slim the new owner, as he also purchased the portion of CANTV that was owned by Verizon.
Its interesting due to the fact that the Government owns 51% of CANTV now. So in fact its already a national company.

News Story - Verizon Online

There's more here than meets the eye. Chavez' announcement to nationalize or place under state control both CANTV (Verizon) and Electricidad de Caracas (AES), seems like part of a wider plan to place stricter controls on foreign currency exchange rate and capital flight, since the announcement was accompanied by a proposal to change the constitution in order to eliminate the autonomous status of the Central Bank. Currently, the government measures to control the foreign currency exchange ate are being thwarted by the loophole of massive trading on the above mentioned companies' stocks in the NYSE...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
They cut my internet service but phone still good. Hmmm. I had to go talk with a manager but at least the internet disconnected. Will keep you updated.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They cut my internet service but phone still good. Hmmm. I had to go talk with a manager but at least the internet disconnected. Will keep you updated.

Since I was the one that first told you about your problem before you had one I will now update you based on what is happening.

I guarantee you that you will keep getting billed for both internet and phone line for the next few months, whether they are on or not. Ribs for four at Rocky's says I am right. OK???

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Update...we have had several discussions with Verizon. We still have phone service. They insist we are no longer responsible for the line but have yet to give us our deposit back which has went from 2000RD to 900RD in a month. They now say that in 10 to 15 more days they will receive a check from Santo Domingo for 900RD and we can come and pick it up. Of course we will have to go and stand in line again for the fifth time. I now do not expect to receive any deposit back and can see them possibly continuing to bill me. I have given up. You simply cannot fight a behemoth who is unreasonable. I will never ever do business of any sort with Verizon and I will recommend against it...here and in the USA.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I hope you get your deposit, but if they keep on billing you and you don't pay, what can they do? Disconnect your phone? :D

RickC

Sep 29, 2006
maybe you should be careful next time

Axing someone is not very nice.............
Next time try ASKING nicely :cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they messed up my outlook today, i have an excuse not to work... LOL
no telephones either.
even less work!
love verizon