I axed Verizon today

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
no they are talking about using the internet through someones WIFI network. If you have a laptop with a WIFI transmitter then you talk to someones computer who has a WIFI network. That WIFI network manages the data to the various laptops. The computer which host the network communicates with Verizon on one account. The security they talk about is the key that gets you onto the network. If the hotspot is open access then you don't need a key. If the hotspot is managed access then you need a key or password of some sort. I know enough to be dangerous.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Welcome to life in the DR

It's very simple - with no COMPETITION they KNOW we need them more than they need us. What do you think would happen if the VERY LIFE of the company depended on them being competitive? Adapt to survive or PERISH! They don't care because they have no fear of perishing and besides they can charge 5 TIMES WHAT they charge in the states with a TENTH or less of the operating costs. RESULT obscene profits! What type of margins do you think these guys are operating on? They should put all the owners in jail and throw away the key. What they are doing is downright vulgar!

Yes Verizon can be a pain in the butt. I have although won every augument that I have had with them. Even one where an installer removed a call-restrictor from my house in error while we were away (Sister-in-law allowed them in). Even had them calculate a refund for a 8 month period when I got over-charged, and another time when they under-charged on a cancellation and tried to collect from me (I had all the docs and they dropped the extra for the under charge).

And I thought I was paying too much at $73 a month for VIP and DSL Chip (384 kbps speed).

Maybe it helps not speaking Spanish sometimes.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Like I said, it isn't a biz I would want to do. But for someone else it might be a possibility...for a barrio it would have potential.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
It is a great idea but physical distance and building material would be an issue.
There is someone I know in the RD that actually ran a phone line from their place to the neighbours.

I have been using WIFI for a few years and the modems may say 100' but rarely does it work at that distance.
If you set it up near a window you are set.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
We Have Started Begging Them To Cut Off Service

Well they told us they would cut the service within 24 to 48 hours. We are past that now and service is still up...so we called them to request that they cut the service. We don't want them to charge us for another month of usage. Their reply...you will have to call back tomorrow. How does that song go...."you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave".

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Well they told us they would cut the service within 24 to 48 hours. We are past that now and service is still up....

A friend of mine discontinued Verizon, but was still getting "Incoming" calls for months. Another "Only in the DR syndrone". He switched to Tricom phone and Internet service.

PS: He had two lines, the Verizon line continued incoming call for months.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
72 hours and counting...still have phone and internet. They say to give them 24 hours more.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
72 hours and counting...still have phone and internet. They say to give them 24 hours more.

Re-read my previous post #14. It is happening to you. Go down to the office and complain NOW, before your next bill.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Yes SKY...I will give them this 24 hours more and then we will have to go talk to them again. If it does go on then I will be convinced that it is planned in order to take our deposit and perhaps bill us for another month. But I think I will end it very easily if the 24 hour period goes by. I will barge in there, walk up to the girl that served us and bitch her out right there in front of everyone at the top of my lungs. I have found that this gets good action here for they hate to be put on the spot and humiliated. They are extremely prideful. I'm not.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
She has nothing to do with it, this is the way they do business all the time. This way when the next person at that location wants a phone they will have to pay the bill. Or if you want another phone anywhere in the DR you will pay.

If you know a lawyer have him go down with you.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To my pal Snuffy

I don't think you believe what you are being told about trying to cancel phone service with Verizon.
I can corroborate that it is near impossible.
Had it not been for a friend getting me in touch with the president's (of Codetel, at the time) secretary, the last time I was canceling, I think I would still be receiving bills, 7 years later.
They simply would not accept me canceling the service.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Rocky, I believe I have someone who can put me in contact with the right people. I simply don't want to bother him with something I should be able to handle myself. So I will do my best. I'm vowing to never use them again. I hate the feeling of having a "monkey on my back". And I believe that is a reference to drug use also.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky, I believe I have someone who can put me in contact with the right people. I simply don't want to bother him with something I should be able to handle myself. So I will do my best. I'm vowing to never use them again. I hate the feeling of having a "monkey on my back". And I believe that is a reference to drug use also.
Alright, Amigo.
Just don't want you to get screwed.
Good luck with it, and please let us know how it all ends.

C

Chip00

Yes SKY...I will give them this 24 hours more and then we will have to go talk to them again. If it does go on then I will be convinced that it is planned in order to take our deposit and perhaps bill us for another month. But I think I will end it very easily if the 24 hour period goes by. I will barge in there, walk up to the girl that served us and bitch her out right there in front of everyone at the top of my lungs. I have found that this gets good action here for they hate to be put on the spot and humiliated. They are extremely prideful. I'm not.

Snuffy

As a friend I recommend not humiliating the person - that would be so very ugly to Dominicans. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the public would side with Verizon even though you appear to be right. They'll proabably think "que gringo mas orgulloso, sin educacion! True the people at Verizon will tell you anything but the fact is most of the employees are just lackeys. If you just state your case honestly and subjectively you will get just as far. If you think not just ask for a manager.

In fact did something similar quite a while back, but did not even go as far as chewing out somebody. I was only complaining strongly about something at the ticket counter at American Airlines and I never got personal with the person. Apparently even that caused some fellow in broken English to get pi$$ed off enough at me to insult me.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I'm sure it will all work out. I will try to work with them. I hate being a jerk. I don't like going there. I'm may not get a deposit back. But will not pay anymore into their system.