I got beat up :(

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Usually in most places around the globe, virus rates decline during the hottest months of the year... But it seems that many people are getting it this summer...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have a couple of noni fruits trees around in santiago and in SD. You think I should eat one to build up my natural defense system? I have a feeling, one bite on the noni fruit and I will die from projectile vomiting.
AZB

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Never got the flu and I don't eat my veggies and fruit like "I suppose to do" and I worked in an environment where I saw many many people a day, so one person is more an easy target then the other is my guess.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Try a supplement similar to this:

Echinacea dry root extract 145 mg
Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) 50 mg

Echinacea and Vitamin C help to build immunity.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
If the fever was a double hump over 36 hours and subsided to low grade for some days afterward, it almost certainly was Dengue.

I'm not a doctor or medical worker, so I may not phrase this correctly.

If I have dengue once, will that give me some antibodies which will make the second case less intense? Or is each case equally as difficult on the body with symptoms severe each time? Is it possible to even build up an immunity to the dengue virus?

And for the poster who mentioned that usually flu rates go down during warmer months: according to wikipedia (the "best source" of news :ermm:), dengue is more common in the rainy season.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
No, you cannot build immunity to dengue.

In fact, for reasons they are still puzzling out, catching dengue fever can make you more vulnerable in a second exposure to developing its more dangerous and life-threatening variant, dengue homorraghic fever (DHF).

Treacherous antibodies promote dengue infection - SciDev.Net

That said, they are working on a dengue vaccine. I know Brazilian scientists thought they would have a vaccine for one of the dengue strains ready for production sometime this year, but I suspect they were being optimistic.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This was supposed to be a response to HB.
FYI
The vinegar thing works for what seems like acid indigestion too. It's counter intuitive but I challenge you to try it. If you think you've got indigestion or acid reflux, try an ounce of cidar vinegar. It works everytime for me. Even for angina symtoms.

This does seem to work for acid reflux. I used to have it real bad and taking this for a few days seemed to help a lot. Not sure how it works, because as Greg said it is acidic by itself so you'd think adding more acid would hurt you more, but I can swear by it.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
No, you cannot build immunity to dengue.

In fact, for reasons they are still puzzling out, catching dengue fever can make you more vulnerable in a second exposure to developing its more dangerous and life-threatening variant, dengue homorraghic fever (DHF).

Wow, that's some mean stuff.

Feb 7, 2007
If I have dengue once, will that give me some antibodies which will make the second case less intense? Or is each case equally as difficult on the body with symptoms severe each time? Is it possible to even build up an immunity to the dengue virus?

To my understanding, yes. But there are 4 different strains (serotypes) of Dengue, so if you get infected by A you get immune against A. But it still leaves B, C and D to infect you. And usually, the second infection has worse course than the first one.

Dengue
(NEW!) Does immunity against Dengue last for only a year? ? Woodshed Environment Coalition
Dengue Fever Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention and Facts on MedicineNet.com

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
For anyone interested, the Americas breakdown of edpidemiological reporting on dengue as of end-June is as follows:
dengueAmericasmid2010-300x137.jpg
Source: PAHO, Epidemiological Alert: Dengue Outbreaks in the Americas (7 July 2010)

Reporting from the DR is evidently four weeks behind (why am I not surprised?), so their reporting only covers up through end-May (hence the "EW 22" reference):
Number of Cases: Up to EW 22, the Ministry of Health of the Dominican Republic reported 3,499 cases of dengue, of which 1,705 have been laboratory confirmed.
Severity: There were 452 confirmed cases of severe dengue and 16 deaths.
Serotypes in Circulation: DEN-1, 2, 4.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I had similar crap 2nd last saturday.
been completely fine friday night, working on the computer til 2:30AM.
8AM I woke up with full fever, 40.2C of Body temp, felt like Flying.
my nose completely tapped like on a heavy cold, throat hurt like he$$.
no other pain, but hey, I did not need any more at the Time.
full saturday on the Couch, watching Germany Argentine half napping, lol,
for the throat hot Milk with a lot of Honey, for the rest a dozen of Lemon Teas, I sure drunk at least 3 liters of Juices.
Fever been much less quickly, Sunday I felt like shi$$ but Fever been less and the throat felt o.k. again. I went on with a few Teas and lots of juices during sunday, monday morning I've been fine again, but the same moment the Mrs had it.
as the opposite to Myself she got it with less Fever but heavy headache, so the next 2 days I've been the one cooking the Teas for Her.
by wednesday she been fine again, too.
our Boy been all the time with us and got nothing.
strange, hard, and luckily short whiled.
Mike