I have better computer at home but it's broken.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It seems that electronics have a very short life expectancy in the DR.

some yes, some no. i had a laptop here for 6-7 years, gave it to my brother (in poland) who still has it and uses it every day. thingy for squeezing orange juice? not so much. we are on a third one now. now i prefer to get stuff that is better quality. it also helps if you have a good wiring and equipment that protects from fluctuations of power. another thing is that i often see people here being careless with material possessions. i don't have much so i keep what i have in good shape.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
The "it's broken" can be classified as Dominican folklore. You can give them a brand new in the box item and the next time you see them or ask them about it, "oh it's broken" (no sirve). Never give anything with sentimental value to a Domincan because the curse of the caribean will brake it. How they do it, i have no idea even though I was born there.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
My electronics last a long time here.

To the Op, one thing you need to know is many Dominicans feel inferior to the rich, city people (if from the country like Moca) and foreigners - so basically they are intimidated by you. This is easily resolved by engaging them and being friendly and asking how the family is. Before long you will have more friends than you know what to do with.

Well said Chip! The "Que bueno" response is always appropriate unless it's a tragedy that you are talking about. The majority of these "Dominicans", I can say that because I am a native, are from the campos or country bumpkins that moved to the cities. Go to downtown SD and talk to anyone in the area and you will find that they have the lates tech toys, are college educated, but are pretentious and think they are above the rest of the population including you.

Those "Dominicanos" you refer to can become very good friends if you can come to term that they have very little and the "one up or better than the Joneses syndrome" its just human nature. Dimiss it and have a genuine conversation with them, a friend will follow. The expecting you to repair the item is another cultural issue that all those that made it out of the DR or are foreigners have a money tree back home. If you let your wealth be know, that is the behavior you wil see from the locals. You are just a money bags for most locals with the exceotion of few.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Small island surrounded by salt water. Take a look at the wiondow slats that don't keep the dust out. Enough said as to why electronics don't last. The other is Dominicans are good at breaking things, specially if it was given to them as they have jno concept of hhow much the item cost.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
It seems that electronics have a very short life expectancy in the DR. I owned a cyber cafe in La Romana. All new Dell systems in 2006, 12 of them. Within 3 months my on site tech was asking me to bring down memory chips. ( Found out one of the other employees was stealing them and selling them ). After 6 months we only had 1/2 the systems operational. Also had to install a special card to prevent getting to the hard drive since they were always going to web sites infected with malware. It was a nightmare. Never again.

Maybe our company had same employee.

Almost all computer HQ sent down have one stick of RAM now. The oldest is still running Windows XP and have both Windows 2000 and XP Activation stickers on them and have 256MB of ram. Since I have LOT of free time, I opened the case up to clean some dusts and it had system spec sticker on them. and it clearly says it used to have 1GB and upgraded to 2 GB 6 years ago, Now almost every computer in our company have one stick of 2GB of ram and in rare cases 4GB. And I checked all the spec stickers and actual paper work and they had like 4-8GB each with now all integrated graphic cards, luckily processor and cases remained the same all these years. I've asked about the missing computers and lack of parts, and I get same answer. "No Se!"

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Why are you flaunting your wares? I'd be more concerned w/someone stealing it now. I sense you're not very happy here. Don't take it out on the natives. The phenomenon that you're complaining about is not exclusive to Dominicans.

I am sorry but I am not showing off my gears. I required to work even off hours analyze orders, productions and reports off office. And I send actual important email and bring tablet to meeting, and try to be more productive with my tablets and phones.

Showing off? I don't think so in my case it's a nasty but necessary tool that I use, so I can find extra time with my family. If I could I would like to go back to 80's when Beepers where used as professional tool, and cell phone with that car battery that was only being used by rich and important.

Despite I make fun of them here, I believe I am respected in our company. They wouldn't dare steal and haven't stole anything from me in past 2 1/2+ years with all the new gears and small gadgets laying around floor desk. And I see them no differently as well. I like them, I treat equal, many case better and respect in some cases and I understand they are definitely poor and I understand it isn't all their fault. But they have to stop with wanting free stuff from other people, company and government if they ever wnat to get out from hole.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
For ****s sakes.. this is the reason a lot of us Dominicans get so ****ed off on dr1.. replace "Dominican" in your sentence to poor hillbilly and it wouldn't be so damn offensive. Obviously if some dude/chick is begging you to give them your 5 year old iphone they aren't representative of Dominicans and it's embarassing and offensive when people like you make those comparisons. Cut it out.
Uhmmmmmm, I own a house in LA (lower Alabama), and know plenty "poor hillbillies". They tend to take pretty good care of their stuff, because,
a. They worked hard to get it.
b. They know they'll have to work harder to replace said stuff.
Having said that; every Dominican that I've loaned or given stuff to, winds up broken, too old, drowned, or no sirve in very short order. Get p!$$ed off if you will, but I would day that Freddie's comparison is an apt one.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Uhmmmmmm, I own a house in LA (lower Alabama), and know plenty "poor hillbillies". They tend to take pretty good care of their stuff, because,
a. They worked hard to get it.
b. They know they'll have to work harder to replace said stuff.
Having said that; every Dominican that I've loaned or given stuff to, winds up broken, too old, drowned, or no sirve in very short order. Get p!$$ed off if you will, but I would day that Freddie's comparison is an apt one.

I lived in Jacksonville, Fl (full of rednecks) .. I loaned my redneck buddy my phone once and he broke it.. Would it be fair now if I said all Floridians break things that you loan them and I would never loan them anything more technical than a shovel? What would that make me?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
That, of course would make you an assumer. You cite only one case, whereas my experience extended to every Dominican that I've....

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
That, of course would make you an assumer. You cite only one case, whereas my experience extended to every Dominican that I've....

Once again.. you're stating every Dominican that you've LOANED or GIVEN stuff too.. Nobody in my family would borrow or take any of your second hand ****.. and we're Dominican.. Think about it, what type of people take **** from foreigners in the first place? What's the damn reason.. it would make us seem like a leech and nobody with even a smidgen of education would do something like that.. Do you see where this is going?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Man the more I analyze this the more I realize it's non-dominican behavior that causes issues.. It seems so odd that ANY normal person here would just give away their old stuff to a random person .. why the hell would they do that.. everybody here has family in need and share their stuff with their own family.. I guess when poor Dominicans see foreigners giving their stuff away to people they've known for a few months they just assume it's coming from some money tree overseas. I'll leave this thread with this : If you want to be respected like educated Dominicans are (in respect to your property and honesty in general), I would recommend trying to emulate the way we act more.

Man the more I analyze this the more I realize it's non-dominican behavior that causes issues.. It seems so odd that ANY normal person here would just give away their old stuff to a random person .. why the hell would they do that.. everybody here has family in need and share their stuff with their own family.. I guess when poor Dominicans see foreigners giving their stuff away to people they've known for a few months they just assume it's coming from some money tree overseas. I'll leave this thread with this : If you want to be respected like educated Dominicans are (in respect to your property and honesty in general), I would recommend trying to emulate the way we act more.

Why on earth would I try and copy and be like someone else? Differences are what make the world GREAT!!
I gave all my stuff away in Canada so why wouldn't I here? I never understand people who try and sell things for a few bucks it is just not worth the time and why not give stuff if you can?!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Why on earth would I try and copy and be like someone else? Differences are what make the world GREAT!!
I gave all my stuff away in Canada so why wouldn't I here? I never understand people who try and sell things for a few bucks it is just not worth the time and why not give stuff if you can?!

Damn dude we really need to hang out haha.. just messin!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Well, not goin round an round on this one. maybe its cause the bulk of my experience is with broke-assed uneducated Dominicans.