I made a short video about why I'm moving from USA to DR

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
Allow me to modify "plexiglass" to wind barriers in general. It's been a while and I don't want to exaggerate and memory is a funny thing.

Bear mentioned Tuva which has tall glass "wall" on their patio, I recall specifically a bar/restaurant at one of the Kite Beach hotels that had plexiglas, Mojitos IIRC has roll down bamboo shades, at one point a couple or so years ago other Los Gringos or Lazy Dog had a (plastic?) windbreak and Lazy dog and I think the adjoining business had curtains. I can't swear to it but I've also sat near a wood or bamboo windscreen on that beach. It's windy as hell some afternoons and that's mostly why I rarely venture there. It seems to me it's been a couple, maybe even 3 years since I was there last and I don't miss it a bit lol
To clarify, over the last 15 to 20 years I've noticed them and benefited from these wind breaks. I have no idea about the last few years. While I've been many times, most recently it's only at enclosed restaurants and in the evening and night.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
What do you think it was for then? Not that it matters. If you really want to tell us that Cabarete, a world renown Kit Surfing beach is not windy...go for it LOL!
I just say I have visited beaches with real sandblasting, and it was not Cabarete. Actually for me with my weight, I had a hard time getting enough wind here. Not windy, breeze after 12 and some wind from 3 to 5 in the summer. Wintertime big waves, less wind.

Your opinion differs, and thats of course true as well for you. Never thougt of it as a problem

• Haha
Reactions: Michael DR

David B

Aug 31, 2017
La cola para hacer pipí era un infierno, al menos lo recuerdo.y era horario de apertura 24/7 al menos si hubiera gente presente

si, no es un buen lugar para hacer pipi en la playa como en el Malecon de POP. Y ya solo vivo en el mundo de Covid no se nada de 24-hora discos.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
I just say I have visited beaches with real sandblasting, and it was not Cabarete. Actually for me with my weight, I had a hard time getting enough wind here. Not windy, breeze after 12 and some wind from 3 to 5 in the summer. Wintertime big waves, less wind.
Have it your way but:

mom22galz.jpg

"drole111
Oshawa, Canada

A great sociable windy beach​

Review of Cabarete Beach
Reviewed 9 February 2018
We loved walking this beach, and stopping to have a bite or a drink at various venues while watching the kitesurfers. Everything we tried was excellent and reasonably priced.
We met some really nice locals including one special vendor named Julianna who does the best braids and is the sweetest woman ever.
We will certainly be back.
Date of experience: December 2017
"

caption.jpg

"Alibi78
Lafayette, Indiana

Windy​

Review of Cabarete Beach
Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile
This beach is very windy and somewhat secluded. Not a lot of foot traffic or vendors. Sand ok to walk on. Waves are pretty rough though. Not recommended for swimming but kite surfing instead. Just and ok beach but you can still have some fun in the sun."

Reactions: CristoRey

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I was wondering how it was before, since it's such a beautiful spot. Unfortunately, I missed it. Any experience I have of the North Coast pre-Covid in terms of nightlife is confined to Puerto Plata. I'm sorry I missed the heyday of Sosua, for example.

Did Sosua ever have a heyday? I thought it had always been the same hellhole and hasn't changed much.

• Haha
Reactions: RDKNIGHT

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Did Sosua ever have a heyday? I thought it had always been the same hellhole and hasn't changed much.

I don't know. Seems one man's hellhole is another man's paradise. Just know that it's pretty dead now, even with all my compatriots flying down with me on JetBlue from NYC.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Oh, the NC had is glory of course before PC took over. It was incredible back in those days, party & craziness.

That of course would be described as a hellhole if one were to be a missionary seeking funding from above.

Myself watersports in the afternoon, party all night. Sancocho in the morning to recover.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
now now paul, Sosua is not for everyone. I love to vist Sosua for a night or two, but it would probably say the same thing if I lived there. I think when they say "heyday" they mean when it was much more crowded with spending gentleman.

Reactions: TropicalPaul

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
now now paul, Sosua is not for everyone. I love to vist Sosua for a night or two, but it would probably say the same thing if I lived there. I think when they say "heyday" they mean when it was much more crowded with spending gentleman.

The "heyday" was before the spending gentlemen arrived, and the location was filled with gentlemen that did not have to announce that they were spending.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
We even had an AI in Cabarete, Estrella del mar. My first Dominican experience, great.

My windsurf stuff laying on the beach, drink & eat as much you could when you got tired.
Massage on day 10 when the muscles hardly could stand more beating. Safari into Cab jungle during night.

NC could do great doing eco/adventure tourism imo.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Have you guys even any clue about what you published. Only fairly tales or some facts? When they prepare fish at the restaurants the spill water smells bad.
But I eat beef there :))
And have you ever seen what a gallina del patio eats? Or a pig?

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
we are still talking about the cesspool sosua area.....I rather live in vila melia
Back in the days, one night I visited Sosua (with several friends), since Cabarete seemed very quiet that evening, just for a change.
After midnight when we left the nightclub to go outside to eat, they started fighting inside. First with chairs, then one guy fired several shots and killed another. When the bullets started flying, we ran for shelter in the kitchen across the street.

My canadian friend sweared he never would visit Sosua again. Sosua was not then and it remains up to this day, for everyone. But never was boring

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The "heyday" was before the spending gentlemen arrived, and the location was filled with gentlemen that did not have to announce that they were spending.
must have been way before my time, for 15 years it has been a gentleman's playground, before that I'm sure it was a religious retreat