i need your help people

smigg3011

Feb 21, 2006
thanks i will check it out do you know of anyone or any companies i can check out

Last edited:

BackInTheUSA

May 31, 2005
smigg3011 said:
with the way you say things cost in the dominican it seem it would be impossible for anyone to live especially with wages so low

And that's why, unless you have a good plan, you will find it impossible to live...

It can be done, though...

I, like a previous poster, also utilized the public transportation and was a fan of the OMSA with air conditioning.... Sigh...when can I come back to visit :(

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
my 2 peso worth

Smigg, I have been here about 8 months and have moved a couple times in search of the good places- read safe and comfortable. You can easily find a place for $750 US a month that is in a safe area, with generator or invertor, and internet is readily available- though a bit pricey. Location is everything and the costs will vary widely. I would suggest looking in supercasas.com, or the Listin Diario online and you will find numerous apts. and houses. I currently live in a 300 sq.mtr. apt in the penthouse with a full view of the water on one side and the city on the other. I pay $1100 US a month + electricity, nothing else as I negotiated the maintenance, gas, phone and water to be paid by the landlord. EVERYTHING is negotiable in the DR so NEVER pay the advertised price. I live in Esperilla which is very nice and close to most everything. I would suggest looking in Evarista Morales, Esperilla, Bella Vista, Piantini, Naco, to name a few places that generally seem to have many listings for rentals that are nice and generally in the price range of $600- 1500 US monthly. I have experinced a little pain in the relocation, but it's about the experience. If you need help- just ask.

smigg3011

Feb 21, 2006
thanks for that last piece of advice john thats the kinda thing i need to know i am also very interested in the sales job you were talking about on another thread i have been in direct financial sales for 12 years in the uk and would like to get into it over there

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Look Smgg, you are getting all types of different advice here, but in a way it is all too abstract until you come and see for yourself. Then you will be able to gauge the value of what is being said here. Now some of the people mentioned that living outside the capital is cheaper, and that is absolutely true. The capital is expensive, but once you decide to live outside the capital, then you have a host of other considerations --- what sort of work is available, what is the character of the tourism in that region (Sosua is rather different from, say, Las Terrenas), what sort of people live there, and so on. Now, to take an extreme example, i have a friend who bought a lot of land near Moca and is cultivating tobacco. He lives a simple life, but it is in its way a very nice life. Most of the posters here would not go for that, especially if they are happy with paying 1500 dollars a month rent or more. They want a certain lifestyle. But neither option is exclusive; there is a range of options.

Me, I am somewhere in between. I dont require the kind of life you find in Cazicazgos and such nabes. I am here doing a different kind of work and living a perfectly middle class existence, though without some of the luxuries -- I dont own a yeepeta, would never want one, so right there I cut out a major expense that I dont need.

As I stated before I pay only 300 bucks a month rent for a big airy apartment in good condition and centrally located. Some here may doubt me, but they have never met me or my wife and thus cannot guess at our negotiating skills! But i will admit, we lucked out a bit. The owner of our place is an Italian who is a real nice guy and likes us because we take good care of the place and he just wants someone to watch it until his daughter grows up and returns to DR to assume control of the place. But I guarantee you, as I said before, that depending onyour needs and your circumstances, if you are willing to be a bit flexible in location, without sacrificing anything in regard to safety or inconveniences, I can find you a perfectly nice place in the 500 dollar range. The apartment I mentioned in the previous post for 14,000 pesos with utilities included, may in fact be available soon, so there is one opportunity right there. There is another one just across the street from the Montessori school on J. Sanchez Ramirez, also 14,000. Just because some posters here have doubts, doesnt mean such deals dont exist. These people just dont know how to find them.

Moreover, FYI, drliving, paying 1500 pesos for the electricity monthly is possible because of where I live -- as I stated I live on the Palace circuit, so there are very few blackouts and i dont need an inverter, and I dont use AC either -- there is no need, my apt is very breezy. I have all the usual electrodomestics -- tv, two computers, kitchen appliances, washer (no dryer), a water heater, ceiling fans, a few other such things. What more do you need for crissakes?

Look Smiggs, it is all about the kind of person you are, how you see yourself living, and what you want to do with yourself here. I myself didnt come here to live like a pach?; I came here to do a certain kind of work, and while I enjoy a middle class lifestyle, I dont go overboard. Let me tell you a story. I know a guy who came here with very little, he started out by selling falafels in a small stand on the Conde, and a few years later he opened up what is now the hottest bar in the colonial zone. he lives in Gazcue, nice place, raises a family, lives well, but doesnt live like a pach?. that is not his style. He is a decent hard working guy, but now he has plenty of time to smell the roses.

Drliving has given you a lot of good advice, but bear in mind that his view of things is predicated on certain requirements for the good life that you may not share. The neighborhoods he is talking about are not the be all and end all of Dominican living. st domingo, the capital, is tough though. HOWMAR's deal up on the north coast sounds very sweet! when the time comes I may move up there myself.

I highly recommend that before you just pull up stakes and move, you come here for a little tour of the island, see what is what, get a feel for the place, meet some Dominicans, meet some expats, look at some apartments, and so on. Then you can start to make decisions on a firmer basis. Dont by any means make any sudden decisions, you may not survive them!

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
no prob Chris, as I say it is just my perspective, not meant to be definitive. I like what Flamingo John has to say too, particularly about the need to negotiate. And Naco is nice. I hate Piantini (for living), but Naco has some nice streets. Iwould point out too that as a gringo you will be at a huge disadvantage when it comes to negotiating. Dominicans make the traditional rug bazaar merchants look like amateurs! I depend on my wife, who has a real knack for this sort of thing. I often scout out places I like on my own, and then fill her in on the details, have her go a few days later and begin the negotiations. Later I show up when things look like they are heading inthe right direction. I fully admit that the deal I have right now stems from her negotiating skills; but I do hear about good deals even without her mediation. It is tough here but it is not impossible, and i see no reason to be paying New YOrk prices to live in a developing nation. That kind of misses the point,it seems.

Another point about apt hunting, alot of things are done here through what is called "radio bemba" or lip radio -- that is, by meeting people and talking. Most of what I have done over the past few years was facilitated in this manner. someone knows someone who has a place for rent, etc. It is a bit informal, sometimes iffy, sometimes it could be that the dominican is just trying to fleece a foreigner, but once you are really connected here, you find that radio bemba is a good source of information. Listings in the paper can be a good way to find things too, but those are not always the best deals. Internet listings of any sort, because that kind of thing is new here and is thus directed at a more upscale audience, tend to be inflated pricewise.

Last edited:

smigg3011

Feb 21, 2006
yes great advice and i will be there at the end of march with the sole purpose of finding where my feet are the point of this post was to guide me in the right direction so i can arrange viewings of properties and also so i dont waste my time going to areas that are simply no good and i appreciate all advice given

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
Apts. and jobs

Smigg- I would be more than happy to discuss the employment opportunity with you. I have found that the "English" accent does quite well on a sales job as United Statesian's- my own word- are for some reason drawn to the accent and will stay on the phone longer just to listen to you. This gives you the advantage as the longer they are on the phone, the better your chances for closing the sale. As for the locations I mentioned in the prior post- those were just a few off the top of my head. There are several "nicer" neighborhoods in Santo Domingo, you just need to know where to look. I failed to mention that the apt. I'm in was fully furnished down to the linens on the bed and towels and wash cloths in the bathrooms. It came with a washer and dryer, air conditioning, the works. This also comes from an United Statesian with a spoiled United Statesian wife- so my standards are fairly high. The deals are out there, but you have to look. I also agree that negotiating the good deals is an artform that not everyone can do. The skin color will definitely cause people to assume you are stupid and to try and take advantage of you. However, I've found it is also a benefit as you can "demand" things and receive them that a typical Dominican can't get. Case in point- when I had a friend call about my current apt. and ask about pets they were initially saying no- when I told him to add I was from the US they suddenly had no problem with my 2 dogs and cat staying in the apt. I also got 2 additional air conditioners put in and the clothes dryer thrown in as well as paying no maintenance, gas, or water at a reduced price of their actual advertisement in the paper. As for negotiating, I simply took the stand that there are numerous nice places and I was prepared to take other apts. if I didn't get what I wanted. It's just simple business logic and the person that controls the conversation usually wins. Hope some of this helps and let me know if you want to know more about the job.
John

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Flamingo John well said! I like that. Lots of solid advice there. Hope to meet you some day in the flesh.

Smiggs it looks like you are in good hands. If you need further help just email, and if I am around in March (very likely, but sometimes i travel a bit) then come onby the house, we will get you oriented. Email me via this site or my own.

smigg3011

Feb 21, 2006
thanks for the advice guys its great and flamingojohn i am definately interested in the job like i say i have always been in commision only sales jobs so i definately want more details and macocael i would love to take you up on your offer and will contact you nearer the time . thanks for the help of everyone who has helped on this thread .

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
hay macocael do you mean to tell me that if someone gave you a new prado and paid for the gas and insurance that you would not drive it at all......

come on... lets get real

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
drliving said:
hay macocael do you mean to tell me that if someone gave you a new prado and paid for the gas and insurance that you would not drive it at all......

come on... lets get real

I know the question isn't for me, but I wouldn't. We often say this when we're given tickets at the supermarket for the big jeepeta raffles. We'd sell it, get something less showy that doesn't guzzle so much gas (even if it was being paid for, for environmental reasons) and use the money left over for the real priorities in our lives.
I suspect macocael would say the same thing, or would go a step further and would not even buy a modest vehicle with part of the money.
Not everyone sees the world the same way!

drliving

Dec 11, 2005
Exactly what my point is that we don't know how this guy wants to live here in the Dominican republic,so its great that all of us are putting in our lifestyle choices on these types of posts. So that the person can connect with a certain type of life that he or she would like or expect to live here in this country, and ask questions to the person that he or she connects with the best. If I were moving to the DR I wouldn't ask macocael how much car insurance is or how much they spend on gas. just by their post they sound like they live a simple moderate lifestyle. Which by the way there is nothing wrong with that.

What my point is that everyone that lives here, lives at a certain economic
level. Just find out what level it is that you yourself want to live at, and what it will take.....Money isn't everything but love don't pay the rent.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
drliving, didnt mean to step on your toes there. Like I said to Smiggs, a lot of your advice was solid, I am in agreement with you on practically every point, I just think that you can get better deals rentwise and not pay so much. And if you read my posts I made it pretty clear to Smiggs that he ought to visit and shop around, take everyone's advice here into account and make a decision that suits him accordingly, given his needs and resources -- just as you suggest in your last post.

When the thread opened up everyone was talking about such high rents I felt that someone had to offer a different viewpoint. And there are plenty of people like me who are living very good lives here and not spending so much. I dont view my life right now as much of a sacrifice. Materially speaking I dont lack for much, except, as I noted, my own car. Frankly I dont understand why anyone would spend so much on rent in a developing nation -- you are talking NY style rents; myself, I would rather buy property than rent it at those prices. It seems too much to me, particularly if like Smiggs you are going to be doggy paddling for a while, trying to re-establish yourself and make a living. He made it pretty clear from the figures he was talking about that his level of living was not close to yours.

But you are obviously happy and I am sure you live better than I do -- by your definition. what you need and what I need are two very different things. For me what is important is that I be doing the creative work I am good at; for you there are other priorities. As long as I live a decent middle class lifestyle, can afford to send my daughter to good schools, feed the family etc, I figure I am living up to my obligations.

So, the Prado -- you offering? It is a silly question, obviously, but Chiri already answered it for me (she knows me too well !!!). I would do as she suggested. Sell it, get something more suited to my needs. I take my environmental responsibilities seriously, and I do not like conspicuous consumption. Thorsten Veblen nailed that down, nuff said. But let us rephrase the question more tightly: would I accept it even if I could NOT sell it or do with it as I wished. Now there is nice dilemma, more to my liking. Hmmmmm . . . . Make your offer, let's see.

Actually what I need -- and sorry to disappoint you, Chiri, but this is work related so I need to make an exception here -- is a second hand high-bed Toyota pickup, or camioneta of some sort. A jeep would work. Doesnt have to be fancy, preferably a bit beat up looking. You know the last car I owned? It was a Toyota Corolla Station wagon, 1982. That is right, I drove a publico!! In NYC. And I had more people coming up to me and offering to buy that car for ridiculous sums. A concho here is a collector's item in New York. It was in excellent condition. A friend of mine owns it now, still runs beautifully, and complies with NY city's strict emission laws. I wanted to bring it here, but I couldnt, too old.

But drliving, trust me, no criticism of you or your lifestyle was intended. I dont even know you. But I do know this country, better than most. I have been coming here for twelve years reporting on a variety of things: politics, slum life, the bateys, brujer?a, vod?, Haitian migration, agriculture, cockfighting, baseball, music, HIV/AIDS, the list is long. I do know the price of gas, insurance, cars, houses (sale and rental), schools, food, propane, and every other damn thing you need down here. I knew many of the big politicos at one or another point: Balaguer, Bosch, Pe?a Gomez, Hipolito Mej?a, and a few others whose names do not ring bells. I covered Leonel's first campaign extensively, so I know all about him too. I knew the national poet Pedro Mir. I know some,not all of the major scholars here -- Juan Rodriguez of the Museo del Hombre Dominicano; Dagoberto Tejeda of The Folklore Museum, and Martha Ellen Davis, who wrote La Otra Ciencia. Know several of the younger artists, and a few of the older established guys like Bido, and the Cocolo artist Nadal Wolcott.

I am not throwing out names to impress, because it isnt impressive at all, just to make the point very very clear that I do know what I am talking about. Nor am I being combative, though it may seem so. Message boards are odd things, the anonymity distorts things a bit. I guess you wouldnt think from my posts that I would be terribly knowledgable about the place, and that is a fair assumption. Truth is, I know only too much about this place. And in addition to my travels around the country and up and down its social tiers, I also learn something new everyday through DR1.com, which I appreciate.

smigg3011

Feb 21, 2006
hey there guys i appreciate both your comments drliving has shown me what is available at the top end of the market which maybe i was naive in what i thought i could get for the money i had available yet macocael showed me that if i wanted to live a nice life with maybe not all the same comforts i have at home i could do it with the money i have available you have both been enlightening and very helpfull

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is one of the sweetest threads I've ever seen develop on the DR1 on assisting a newcomer or interested person to make decisions on moving/not moving.. living here and all the rest around that. :classic:

All of you are great!