I rode the METRO and survived

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I think the misma vaina because is seems there are more cars and the same amount of guaguas and carro publicas.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
All in all, the SD Metro is half the project. Once the feeder buses make it to the streets, expect to see the same volume of riders at peak hours, just like the NYC's #4 Lexington ave express or the much maligned #7 to Main...

The feeder buses will allow riders to pay a discounted fare to get the bus lift and transfer to the Metro lines. The idea is that both Metro and feeder buses are going to complement each other's needs. Just like the Metro, the feeder buses will run on a set circulatory timing to allow riders to plan their travel time as much as possible.

So much is the aim of the feeder buses that a given lane will be prioritized for their exclusive use, during rush and high volume transit in major avenues and streets.

The number of feeder buses will also meet ridership ups and downs. That's to say that just like the Metro, buses will enter and leave circulation during the day and high volume peaks. During rush hours the units in service will be the entire fleet, while during normal low ridership they will run on a longer schedule between units.

During rush hours buses will make the stops about every other minute, while supplying a constant stream of passengers to the Metro and back. Riders will be able to schedule their trips weekly with maximum savings in their available time to spend at home and commuting to and from work, therefore better quality of living.

The contactless system offers quick on-off passenger traffic, which will be replicated in the feeder buses as well using the same technology. The system will them make the calculations and correct traffic/circulation patterns, using the riders on and off data collected to achieve maximum efficiency and service. If we understand where rider volume is greater, then we could focus better service to meet those needs.

That's why a rider needs to use their cards at entry and exit as well. The feeder buses will share the same system with the Metro and as such, it will be able to meet our traffic volume demands while providing savings when the demand is lower and unneeded at shorter intervals.

A later stage for the feeder buses will see them fit with overhead cameras, able to clearly snap the tags of any vehicle blocking the way or path designated for the exclusive use of the units. The fines will be stiff and not challengeable in any shape or form. Like I said, private sector biz will be provided contracts to handle that part and installation on each bus. The contractors will have to foot the bill for the units and recap their investments via the fines leveled to infractors. That's why the fines will be very, very punishing...

As many here made their educated observations on the maintenance problems in our country:

The Metro will NOT be run or operated by the gov, but by a semi private/public entity.
Line 1 will be awarded to the entity that will be in charge of the construction, expansion, operations of the SD Metro. Like I said before: Gov will be a facilitator to private enterprise in a participatory manner on public infrastructure.

Expect bus service, Metro, Bridges, major roads and other public infrastructure to be operated and maintained under contract by private enterprise in the DR.

That goes for airports, sport venues, water/sewage service, electricity, garbage collection, etc...

The SD Metro is not you NYC flavor kind of Metro, it's very energy efficient unlike any other out there, save for some new lines of the Madrid Metro...

If you take a ride on the Metro and have experience riding other Metros in the world elsewhere, the ride will be unlike any of them. In fact, the more it rides the rails, the more comfortable the ride will become. The DR has a lot riding in the rails for the SD Metro, but Alstom is the big time player with the biggest slice riding out here. They aim to export to LA and other emerging countries with equal transportation needs their wares. Their interest are very well serve in having the SD Metro a major success in operations for a long time to secure those worries out there, in countries that have a way worst maintenance record of public infrastructure than the DR. If it can operated and survive here it pretty much can be validated elsewhere in LA and the world.

This is not about "hoping" the system will be maintained properly, but that it was planned and designed to surpass such expectations before the first rail was put down...

If the sindicatos think they have a problem now, wait till they see the new buses rolling down the streets for good...

Security will be provided by an M16 accessorized member of the Armed Forces riding along, with orders to protect public property and peace with lethal force if needed by the top brass...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
es vla misma vaina,
1 line does not kill the traffic of a big city, it would not even arrange the traffic of dirty lil higuey.
Chiri,
resize that stuff, it is a p.i.t.a. with too big fotos.
talk to Robert and restrict the foto uploads to the regular size of the page like other bords also do. every overzized foto get's automatically downzized to fit that screen.
goooood morning from Metro free eastern paradise everybody
Mike

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The one big question I have, is how long is it going to last before falling apart, is it going to be like the OMSA buses? I'm a little bit anal when it comes to details and I noticed lots of little flaws, especially in the finishing work. Stainless work, tiling, fittings etc. I'm not sure it can handle that many people on a daily basis. I guess time will tell.

This is the million dollar question for sure. As an engineer living in the country I too pay attention to detail and the condition of infrastructure and buildings. It is very rare to find ANYTHING, ANYWHERE in this country that is maintained in accordance with normal conventions. This could be one of the few examples where the concept of "paying attention to detail" is followed or just another example planned obsolescence.

As far as the transport unions as long as the rest of the country doens't get a metro these bozo leeches won't be going away anytime soon.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
es vla misma vaina,
1 line does not kill the traffic of a big city, it would not even arrange the traffic of dirty lil higuey.
Chiri,
resize that stuff, it is a p.i.t.a. with too big fotos.
talk to Robert and restrict the foto uploads to the regular size of the page like other bords also do. every overzized foto get's automatically downzized to fit that screen.
goooood morning from Metro free eastern paradise everybody
Mike

Done! Maybe NALs or another poster can resize the map and repost it? Here is the url, anyway:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2092/2266432411_4089f3d5cf_o.jpg

I will just delete oversized pics without warning in future.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005

Mike

I've wondered why Robert hasn't done that yet. It seems to me like an straightforward solution.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
buses will run on a set circulatory timing to allow riders to plan their travel time as much as possible.

So much is the aim of the feeder buses that a given lane will be prioritized for their exclusive use, during rush and high volume transit in major avenues and streets.

The number of feeder buses will also meet ridership ups and downs. That's to say that just like the Metro, buses will enter and leave circulation during the day and high volume peaks. During rush hours the units in service will be the entire fleet, while during normal low ridership they will run on a longer schedule between units.

If the sindicatos think they have a problem now, wait till they see the new buses rolling down the streets for good...

Security will be provided by an M16 accessorized member of the Armed Forces riding along, with orders to protect public property and peace with lethal force if needed by the top brass...

This idea of the priority lanes sounds the same as when OMSA was first introduced, oh an the PAN AM Games, you can still see where 27th was painted ! we know how well that worked. As a matter of fact that was the reason that AMET was started was to ensure that the Lanes were only used by OMSA not the carro's and guaguas.

And your not making me feel any safer when bozo's with a M16 and a license to kill are riding with me. I can see it now bullets spraying like a water hose because somebody insulted the guardian.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
And your not making me feel any safer when bozo's with a M16 and a license to kill are riding with me. I can see it now bullets spraying like a water hose because somebody insulted the guardian.

Dont worry about that,

It's pretty rare for Dominicans to insult people who carry M16s and have licenses to kill. I mean it happens , but they arent allowing people to drink brugal on the subways so its unlikely.

Its also common for low paid guards to sell their ammunition for lunch money.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
This idea of the priority lanes sounds the same as when OMSA was first introduced, oh an the PAN AM Games, you can still see where 27th was painted ! we know how well that worked. As a matter of fact that was the reason that AMET was started was to ensure that the Lanes were only used by OMSA not the carro's and guaguas.

A later stage for the feeder buses will see them fit with overhead cameras, able to clearly snap the tags of any vehicle blocking the way or path designated for the exclusive use of the units. The fines will be stiff and not challengeable in any shape or form. Like I said, private sector biz will be provided contracts to handle that part and installation on each bus. The contractors will have to foot the bill for the units and recap their investments via the fines leveled to infractors. That's why the fines will be very, very punishing...

Hope that gives you an idea of how it will be played this time around sans much gov interference...

The bullets will not be aimed at you, but those that think they can have it their way via force, anarchy and intimidation...

Order and Law are the primordial factors to public safety. They think they can continue to use terror to bend the rules as they see it to their benefit, let's find out how much they can bend the bullet's trajectory from the barrels aimed at them...

For too long many have taken to do as they want w/o caring for the rights of others or public respect. Let's see how heavy fines and strict enforcement, of the rules already on the books, will provide the proper path to order in the house.

I told you that things will change for the better...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Santiago Light Rail

Does anyone know if or when work will start on the Rail system from STI Airport to the City of Santiago? Thanks

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
This is the million dollar question for sure. As an engineer living in the country I too pay attention to detail and the condition of infrastructure and buildings. It is very rare to find ANYTHING, ANYWHERE in this country that is maintained in accordance with normal conventions. This could be one of the few examples where the concept of "paying attention to detail" is followed or just another example planned obsolescence.

As far as the transport unions as long as the rest of the country doens't get a metro these bozo leeches won't be going away anytime soon.

Problem is basically that gov micromanages too much and therefore is grossly inefficient at it too.

Let me tell you how this will be reversed for good:

Take any bridge (and I mean any in use today in the DR) and place a well formulated contract up for bids from the private sector; once a good bidding is done, the contract is awarded to x company that will in turn place a toll on a single way (one heading) of that bridge.

The toll will be subjected to strict for profit percentages, taking under consideration the costs to maintain the infrastructure by the contracted company. In effect it is in the contracting company's best financial interest that the bridge is fully operational and infrastructural sound.

Instead of single companies bidding for single bridges, they'll be bidding on sets grouped to a region. The same will play out with major intercity highways, which will be partitioned by spans.

For the local streets in cities and municipalities, there'll be a totally different approach. This level will require that vehicles registered within a city/municipality's legal perimeter, will have tags that includes a monthly surcharge (over that from the gov) paid yearly to support the street maintenance by the local authorities directly. This fund will be locked to the dept that deals only with street's infrastructure maintenance only, avoiding misuse of funds by the City/municipality in other things. The funds will be deposited into a bank account with interest bearing rights, as funds will not always be depleted to repair/maintain the streets in the same level of revenues.

Each tag will bear the City/municipality it pays revenues to in it. The lesser cars registered in a municipality, the lesser needs for street's maintenance is concordantly needed.

Same will be done with all infrastructures out there today.

About the rust tin cans for cars the sindicatos use today, we'll later enforce safety protocols in that sector that will render 90% of those things unsafe and revoke any permit to transit in a street, let alone carry passengers in commercial terms.

If sindicatos are planning to continue to live in the DR, they'll need to evolution with the times. They'll be required to upkeep a float of vehicles that will be strictly inspected and supervised, including a limit of time in service for each unit as well. Think of them as private bus operators, only that they'll own their buses and depots. The gov will provide each sindicato with lines of credit backed by the gov from independent sources; which way they'll be able to purchase and operate the units (only the ones pre-approved to enter service and not what they want) or have them embargoed and added to the gov's float of vehicles if the loan's payment is defaulted at any given term. The contract with the sindicato will be legally voided and open bidding for the route from other sindicatos accepted within a certain period of time.

No more cars for public transport, safe for private taxis and clearly yellow cabs.

There's absolutely no interest to remove all the working men and women from the sindicatos in the streets. What we need is to place strict rules and proper vehicles that can provide the public the service they so much need.

The sindicatos will be able to share the revenues from fares after payment of the loans are made each cycle. They'll be independent operators that must answer to contracts and public law as well.

Just like the feeder buses operated by the gov, the sindicatos will have exclusive lanes during rush hours and heavy traffic that results in congestion. The same devices used for the gov buses (cameras) will be used on their buses as well. A bus driver training program will be in place to re-train the much maligned syndicated drivers.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Does anyone know if or when work will start on the Rail system from STI Airport to the City of Santiago? Thanks

No STI to the city rail yet...

Santiago to SD HVT service yes...
Later on this year...

That project is huge, since it includes rails yards into the existent Zona Franca and industrial parks in Santiago as well as other parts.

There will be two services for passengers from Santiago to SD. One will make several stops along the way in other cities and the other will be non-stop on the hour or so. After the last high speed train reaches home for the day, the rails will be opened to commercial service and their haul.

If your question is more like "if" the project (Santiago - SD HVT) is going to start for good, the answer is that it did some days ago in earnest...

The light rail or tranvia for Santiago is not financially supported yet; as the population to provide the funds to maintain such system is not there today.
Once the Santiago - SD HVT opens for good, will we have a prudent and workable flow of passengers that could provide for the minimum ridership such systems call for.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
o.k.,
here we go resized.
Mike

2326002540104227920S600x600Q85.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
OK, excellent, the Metro is running, but what I wanna know, is if the traffic along the way has subsided on the roads with the guaguas, carritos, motos, etc. Is it less congested, or tenemos la misma vaina? Estar? en la capital ma?ana.
The guagua and concho people are complaining that since the Metro went into effect, business is way down. Buses on the Villa Mella - Centro de los Heroes route(s) are running much more empty than before.

Its only a matter of time before they move on to some other route(s) and thus, the "decongestion" of the route along the Metro line will be seen.

When the second and third lines are built, it will look sweeter.

-NALs

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Rose Colored Glasses

Hope that gives you an idea of how it will be played this time around sans much gov interference...

The bullets will not be aimed at you, but those that think they can have it their way via force, anarchy and intimidation...

Order and Law are the primordial factors to public safety. They think they can continue to use terror to bend the rules as they see it to their benefit, let's find out how much they can bend the bullet's trajectory from the barrels aimed at them...

For too long many have taken to do as they want w/o caring for the rights of others or public respect. Let's see how heavy fines and strict enforcement, of the rules already on the books, will provide the proper path to order in the house.

I told you that things will change for the better...

Not worried about bending trajectory's worried about being in the way. Most of the People carrying guns here have no idea what the hell they are for. Evidenced by the amount of police and military standing around with the barrel point into the concrete, or laying across their knees pointed at the general public, thats when I am glad that they do sell the bullets for cash.

As far as strict enforcement of the laws. right, yesterday Palo Hincado AMET standing by the stop sign, car blows horn twice blows through the sign, Cop when asked why did not stop the car, answer was nobody else coming so what. Same thing when messengers on moto's are using the sidewalk, well you need to watch out for them, they might run over you, not that they should not be there in the first place, and god help you if you should happen to believe in pedestrian crossings.

No body seems to understand that when existing laws are not enforced, then the law is only a group of words strung together. you can currently stop at least 1 out of every 5 cars on the road for some type of safety violation.

PICHARDO I AM WAITING FOR UTOPIA. I have lived here for 15 years. it has not and will not arrive here in my lifetime. Like I said I remember the orginal purpose of AMET before it had anything else to do just keep the lanes open for OMSA. that lasted like everything else less than 6 months,

did you see the picture in the paper the other day of the AMET officer with the moto and 2 passengers headed for the tunnel, in the background? let me see 1 passenger over the limit. no motos in the tunnel. AMET WITH HIS THUMB UP HIS *SS

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Not worried about bending trajectory's worried about being in the way. Most of the People carrying guns here have no idea what the hell they are for. Evidenced by the amount of police and military standing around with the barrel point into the concrete, or laying across their knees pointed at the general public, thats when I am glad that they do sell the bullets for cash.

As far as strict enforcement of the laws. right, yesterday Palo Hincado AMET standing by the stop sign, car blows horn twice blows through the sign, Cop when asked why did not stop the car, answer was nobody else coming so what. Same thing when messengers on moto's are using the sidewalk, well you need to watch out for them, they might run over you, not that they should not be there in the first place, and god help you if you should happen to believe in pedestrian crossings.

No body seems to understand that when existing laws are not enforced, then the law is only a group of words strung together. you can currently stop at least 1 out of every 5 cars on the road for some type of safety violation.

PICHARDO I AM WAITING FOR UTOPIA. I have lived here for 15 years. it has not and will not arrive here in my lifetime. Like I said I remember the orginal purpose of AMET before it had anything else to do just keep the lanes open for OMSA. that lasted like everything else less than 6 months,

did you see the picture in the paper the other day of the AMET officer with the moto and 2 passengers headed for the tunnel, in the background? let me see 1 passenger over the limit. no motos in the tunnel. AMET WITH HIS THUMB UP HIS *SS

Read my posts again and you'll see the answers jumping at you!

PRIVATE contractors will handle much of the stuff that deals with people running red lights, parking violators, electric frauds, etc...

The bus lanes will be self policed via installed cameras that will record the tag on violators of the lanes. The violators will get a bill at the registered tag address and failure to pay will trigger a confiscation of the vehicle (more penalties to pay) and if all fails to bring payment, the vehicle will be sold and the left over sent to a general fund for 180 days, earning interest for the gov and later sent via check to the debtor...

All military personnel that serve in the city with weapons (specially the large barreled ones) are trained + checked to always have the safety engage and their weapons without a live round on the chamber. The weapon MUST be manipulated in order to shoot. NEVER, EVER has a military sentry's weapon discharged accidentally in public! Only during the course of a struggle or action has a weapon been discharged. Why, you may ask? B/c if a supervisor happens to visit his post and checks his weapon, resulting that the weapon has a live round in the chamber, the enlisted will serve 90 days in jail w/p pay and have his service moved to a very, very unwanted position and place within the ranks...

Only Police agents carry their guns cocked and loaded in their holsters, which btw, naturally point the weapon's barrel towards the floor below...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Only Police agents carry their guns cocked and loaded in their holsters, which btw, naturally point the weapon's barrel towards the floor below...

Not likely - loaded for sure but never cocked and loaded. That is a diasater waiting to happen.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
OHHHHHH!! But they do nowadays Chip!!! We're in the age of the quick draw...

Most police agents have their weapons with the safety engaged only, while keeping the gun cocked and loaded. Before with the 1911A1 and the Smith & Wesson's revolvers they couldn't do that; now they can and do...

As far as I know, only shotguns and large barrel weapons are inspected for rounds in the chamber, not handguns.

When I'm in the DR, I always carry mine ready to shoot with the safety on...
I shoot in a Police facility when visiting friends there and all of them w/o exception carry just like me.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
OHHHHHH!! But they do nowadays Chip!!! We're in the age of the quick draw...

Most police agents have their weapons with the safety engaged only, while keeping the gun cocked and loaded. Before with the 1911A1 and the Smith & Wesson's revolvers they couldn't do that; now they can and do...

As far as I know, only shotguns and large barrel weapons are inspected for rounds in the chamber, not handguns.

When I'm in the DR, I always carry mine ready to shoot with the safety on...
I shoot in a Police facility when visiting friends there and all of them w/o exception carry just like me.

exactly right, that's the only way to carry a handfirearm.
why would i carry a 9mm when not with a bullett in the chamber?
if a thiev approaches me i first have to tell him "hey sunny, hold on a second and let me cook my gun, then we go on with our controversy"??
of course such a 'ready' gun should never been carried around the dominican tigre way in the belt of hios pants or such stupidities, there of course would be an additional danger, i saw many of those guns falling down on the floor when the idots left their car or stood up from their barchair aso.
that's why i always carry the gun in it's holster, loaded and cooked with just the safety on, so it can be handled and used with one hand.
Mike