I shouldnt laugh at people trying to help but really....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I say what these volunteers are doing is as pragmatical as it comes. It's not like they can come here and change cultural values that allow for people to live off relatives just because they can or make the government invest the millions or billions in the actual education of the youth as opposed to building mansions in Jarabacoa.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Peoples motives is what drives behavior.

Never discount motives as they are the Mother of all actions.

Motives--->call to behavior--->behavior(actions)--->results

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I say what these volunteers are doing is as pragmatical as it comes. It's not like they can come here and change cultural values that allow for people to live off relatives just because they can or make the government invest the millions or billions in the actual education of the youth as opposed to building mansions in Jarabacoa.
No, these volunteers definitely don't achieve this, and this is the problem.

The sort of projects minerva and others are describing can empower people and make them more likely to challenge the status quo.

For example a sustainable development organisation might not build or repair schools but will help and advise local people on what they can do to lobby the local authorities to repair or build a school in their community.

It's the first step towards challenging larger problems and injustices in the system as opposed to just sitting there and accepting charity and their lot in life.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I base my evaluation of how much people are actually involved/connected with the community on the perception the Dominicans in the community have of what is going on.

Let me clarify. By casual observer I meant people who do NOT do what you do. To rush to judgment about a group of volunteers based on a photo on-line seems hasty and unfair. By definition, consulting local perceptions does not make you a casual observer.

As far as building for the elderly or disabled, they might not be able to do it but they do have a good supply of perfectly able kids and grandkids, friends and neighbors whose role it is to step in and do it for them. They would if they had to. But hey, they too would rather watch the white girls do it for them so they don't break a sweat.

For Pete's sake! First of all, in the project I was referring to, the elderly and disabled contribute in the ways that they can which are not often visible- paying a nominal fee to the workers, a lot of the elderly women help in cooking. And in fact there are quite a few abandonded elderly people in this country who DON'T have the help, which is why they are recipients in the first place.

BTW, sustainable is not continue giving stuff over an extended period.

I never claimed it was sustainable development. People on this thread were criticizing these volunteer groups' perceived lack of commitment. My point is that to a casual observer, they might see a group come down once a year. I brought up an example to show that in reality, there can be a commitment to a community that is sustained over a long period of time and not always visible.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
For example a sustainable development organisation might not build or repair schools but will help and advise local people on what they can do to lobby the local authorities to repair or build a school in their community.

It's the first step towards challenging larger problems and injustices in the system as opposed to just sitting there and accepting charity and their lot in life.

Absolutely. This is what a responsible development organization will do. I've worked in this field for some time now and have developed a more nuanced attitude towards these RESPONSIBLE volunteer/mission groups over time.

Yes, community organizing, advocacy and institutional strengthening is empowering and the only way things will truly change sustainably. However, this approach is often thrown around without recognizing just how complex, time-consuming and difficult this grassroots approach is. (Not saying you or anyone else here are the ones throwing this idea around, Chiri, just in general.)

Until sustainble change comes along, I have no problem with responsible organizations, volunteers and mission groups coming down and responsibly providing services that are needed. (Again, with the implication that a responsible organization will not give hand-outs willy-nilly.)Especially if those services are supposed to be provided by the government- oy vey! :)

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Yup - See post 25.

Sorry Chiri! I didn't see that last part of your post.

Perhaps what I'm trying to convey (and not very, apparently!) is that when done right, it doesn't have to be either or- there are spaces for both.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Absolutely. This is what a responsible development organization will do. I've worked in this field for some time now and have developed a more nuanced attitude towards these RESPONSIBLE volunteer/mission groups over time.

Yes, community organizing, advocacy and institutional strengthening is empowering and the only way things will truly change sustainably. However, this approach is often thrown around without recognizing just how complex, time-consuming and difficult this grassroots approach is. (Not saying you or anyone else here are the ones throwing this idea around, Chiri, just in general.)

Until sustainble change comes along, I have no problem with responsible organizations, volunteers and mission groups coming down and responsibly providing services that are needed. (Again, with the implication that a responsible organization will not give hand-outs willy-nilly.)Especially if those services are supposed to be provided by the government- oy vey! :)
While everything you and others post about along these lines are very true and noble, implementation will frustrate you.

The folks you are trying to help aren't "ready" for it yet?

Why?

Because you and they are far apart on the Maslowian scale. The missionary do-gooders have a Need to Achieve Self Actualization, and those they aspire to help are somewhere between the Physiological Needs and Security Needs. The missionaries want to drag those folks up through several levels at once.

Not gonna happen.

As an aside, if you ever get to sit down with the Parachute Missionaries (my name for them) and talk about their experiences, work and goal in the DR, many would make you swear you're listening to Margaret Meade discuss Noble Savages in Samoa...:cheeky:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thing is, at least a couple of posters are speaking from practical experience, as opposed to pontificating from afar.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm guessing that the people who really know what they are talking about on this thread & have either a professional knowledge of development work and/or a training in it plus practical experience, are Chirimoya, minerva_feliz and las2137. Would that be right?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm guessing that the people who really know what they are talking about on this thread & have either a professional knowledge of development work and/or a training in it plus practical experience, are Chirimoya, minerva_feliz and las2137. Would that be right?
You mean those that agree with you?

It doesn't take long living here, rubbing shoulders with the rich and poor, assorted missionaries and groups and hearing the comments from native Dominicans, etc., to have a fundamental concept of how effective the various organizations and charitable organizations and techniques employed here have worked. Not much bang for the buck, but the people do appreciate the free stuff.

For some reason a bunch of missionary groups have chosen my town and mi esposa's family village to plant their seeds, and we get to see the harvest every day. Hell, you can't throw a dead cat here without hitting one.

Too bad the moderator of the environmental forum nuked my lengthy post of first-hand experiences with a very old group, Fundacion Belarminio Ramirez, and the the entire village they have adopted in an incredibly effective play-it-forward "sustainable" project with no Parachute Missionaries, no Do-Gooders, no tourists, no press, no publicity, no website, no request for donors, no NGO's and not a dime accepted from any outside organization.

Fortunately, being in the ares for over a century, they have a working knowledge of what folks need and don't need. They understand that folks need a commitment to change within themselves to grow and prosper, and that comes from within in an orderly progression (the Maslowian concept.) They preach how to grow and care for an orange tree before going into political empowerment. They teach about dental hygeine and clean water before Human Rights and how The Man is holding them back.

No one questions the intent and Big Heart of folks. It's the plan and implementation that creates lasting results that actually matter.

Sorry I don't use all the proper buzzwords of the "professional.":disappoin

Reactions: mountainannie

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

ooh, nice jab, right in the kisser!

In my defense, I have quite a lot of volunteering experience in the US and a little bit here in the DR and I have communicated directly with missionaries here in the DR and have seen their work first hand and have seen what they have done and still do for the community and the people.

As far as whether the "sustainable methods" are really all that, you guys should remember that this is what the Peace Corp has done since it's inception since the 60's all over the world including the DR. Have they made a huge difference in getting the locals to change their ways and even customs when it comes to attitudes? I think that would be open to debate and wouldn't be surprised that history would show if there isn't a constant proactive force present to propagate these ideas that eventually the local ways will swallow them up in no time flat - in effect it really isn't sustainable imo.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I could complain and criticize for a good 3 more posts, but these types of volunteers mean well and will keep coming down here to do construction projects.

If they are going to do it anyway, for whatever motivation, what are some simple things they can do to improve their service trip?

Here are my suggestions:
-Pick a project that you are sure the community actually needs and has already identified, not what you want to do or think they need. This is tough because no one will ever tell you NO, they don't want whatever your idea is.
-If you want to come but don't have many local contacts, start with some organizations from your country that work here and see what they recommend and who they can put you in touch with.
-For a construction of whatever, there should be AT LEAST the same # of Dominicans working as volunteers.
-The Dominicans work for free, unless they are some kind of skilled worker for something like electricity. They should be from the organization/family/community that is benefitting. Don't forget the brindis (snack breaks) and blasting music for motivation.
-Have a reputable ngo or local pastor select individual beneficiaries using transparency and objectiveness. You'd be surprised how politicized and self-serving the selection can be otherwise.
-Whatever it is, water filter or cement floor, include some small presentation on why it's important and how to use it. Don't assume people know why or how.
-Don't give random free stuff away to whoever. There are better channels for this, such as organizations and churches.
-Remember that you are representing your country to people here, and what you do can result in negative generalizations about people from your country that others will have to deal with later. What you do in one night and soon forget about may be gossiped about for years to come in that place. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll just say this: sankies and tigueres aren't just at the beach or in the city, they are cristianos de los secretos y no in the campo, too.)
-If you are mostly interesting in going on the service trip to drink, hook up with locals and go to the beach, PLEASE don't even come, just book a package deal to Punta Cana or Cancun.
-Do not wear bikini's or booty shorts to work, unless you are cleaning up a reef for the sake of jeovah, it's really not appropriate.
-If you are coming mostly to save the heathens, just don't come. And don't go anywhere else either.

And thanks for at least caring and trying, most people don't even do that.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
I was one of those volunteers you guys are talking about in 2006 near Sosua with "Crossroads". However, as previously mentioned, we actually weren't allowed to wear tank tops and short shorts. (I'm not sure about other projects) Shorts up to the knees were the only acceptable ones and t-shirts with sleeves were all we could wear to go into the village the morning.

Also, my volunteer trip lasted 2 weeks, but I was in the country for 5 weeks and actually paid a little over $4,000 (not including my flight and I would never do it again for that price. I was 21 and didn't know any better)

Us volunteers don't go there with the intention to do the work "for" other people that are capable. When we're in Canada, the program is marketed as though you are helping others. Also, programs don't only consist of building things, we did play/outdoor activities with children whose parents may not have time to play with them in the daytime due to work or other obligations. We would ASSIST the construction workers in building homes. If anything, the Dominican (or Haitian) construction workers would be the ones doing all the real heavy work and we would be doing the passing the rubar (sp?) or passing down cement blocks or creating cement. No one was just sitting around drinking beer watching us work.

Also, we were only allowed to bring two pieces of luggage. One was your personal belongings and the other HAD to be a suitcase or large gym/hockey bag with clothes, hygiene projects, and toys for the community.

Furthermore, there are some long term volunteers (2 or 3 years kind of long term) that DO run sustainable projects (specifically for women) who make jewelry, candles, etc for income to feed their families. The church that was built on the site is not run by the organization, but someone in the community. The school that was built on the site was built there with teachers from the community or at least from the Dominican Republic.

Also, going on service trips does not mean that we are supposed to toil the whole day in the hot sun and not have fun on our time off. Just like at home in our own countries, we unwind after work and we do so in the DR too. No one is saying to act crazy because North Americans already have a terrible reputation in the DR (IMO), but no one can expect volunteers to pretend that they don't do anything remotely fun while they're in the DR. On our time off, we did go to the bar sometimes (with our leaders), we did go to the beach, we did visit a resort once, we did have FUN sometimes and that's allowed.

"Crossroads" is a Christian organization, but the leader never pushed religion on us or the people in the community and actually doesn't accept money from religious organizations because she doesn't want "help with conditions"

I understand that not ALL volunteer programs are the best and not ALL make their programs sustainable for communities (which is most important), but please do not believe that ALL volunteers are selfish by spending their own money to volunteer when they believe they are helping. I know myself better than anyone else, and I know that when I chose to come to the DR to volunteer, I wasn't thinking of myself.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks tk - at least some here did make a distinction between different ways of approaching volunteering and fell short of dismissing it outright.

It's really good to have so many points of view and I'm sure it's helped several people look at things from different angles.

Who said that this thread was boring because everyone was in agreement? :D

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes Chiri,
the thread moved nice around and starts to show different sides, like in TK's case from a point of view by own experience.
btw, thanks TK, nice informative post.
Minerva,
while i would agree to most content of the above post of yours i strongly disagree on your statement """-Don't give random free stuff away to whoever. There are better channels for this, such as organizations and churches.""".
me and the Mrs hand out a big %%% of our stuff to kids and adults on the streets, sure we observe a area prior to step-in and play Santa Claus, but for myself i trust our own observations much more to find out who's in need that the 'judgement' of some local church priests with their typical clientelismn within their communities. but of course such can not be said in general, i know small church leaders who do the good just for that, the good, and they do not let such depend on the religion of someone in need.
while it is right that the spent resources by 'parachute volunteers' could be channeled better and do much more good under organized supervision, i do not see them as a bunch of stu fatt a$$es who try to polish their own ego and nothing else. such people like described several times specially in the beginning of this thread may exist, but those people are not all the same, they do not all for the same reasons, so we can not describe them in one single description valid for all of 'em.

even not working organized/very effective aso,
those Parachute's do one thing:
"THEY DO!!!"
while others may just do big talk about 'not worth the efforts",
those volunteers DO!
and if they just paint the walls of a lil public school and the same week repair the since months damaged toilet of that school, they DO it and the school looks nice and the kids stop to use the backyard playground as the toilet.
that they may have spent many K'sUS$ to do those 2 lil jobs at just one lil school while with the same money several schools could have received a toilet and painting with that 'channeled/supervised/organized', who cares??
they Did the job, and they did it on their own expenses.
and that's to applaus for,
b/c most are only talking, but will never grab some hundred bucks, walk into a lil school, tell the teacher they want to build a toilet there which costs the school nothing, and DO it.
the Parachute's DID it.

for the longterm benefits of a country of course organization is needed, and experience on many levels, no doubt about that.

and in that organizing case i totally agree with CobraBoy's position that such is by some organizations much overdone.
may it be that they 'request' to convert the beneficiaries to a specific religion.
may it be to 'convert' them to a specific political line/party/thinking.
may it be that they invite the community first to seminars about human rights before they start to explain why clean drinking water is important for them.

to improve a country it has to be started on the bottom of things, not on top with the head. so bring the human rights/political concepts/religion stuff up after a century of real help, teach them first how to take care of that cow and why, b/c it feeds you tomorrow and next year and in 20 years.
Mike

Last edited:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Know how... it's lacking more than money

Really one of the things which is missing the most in this country is Know-How.
Interestingly, it's what most locals are the least interested to gain from people and organizations from abroad.
They will always prefer to be given preferably money of some kind of merchandise or real estate. Whether it is from the local government, foreign groups or individual. The result, globally (there are nice exceptions) is bleak and can be observed throughout the Nation.

I for one believe that people wanting to help should always seek the route of bringing and SHARING Know-How by involving the beneficiaries into the action. If it's building homes, well, do it TOGETHER with them. First they will get the home, they will learn about how to do it right, and a bond with the result is more likely to occur than with a "given" product, so they don't just turn around and sell it and spend the money on phones and clown attire and other garbage.

... J-D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Interesting that what appears to be emerging is that the better organisations/individuals are staffed or run by people who wouldn't dream of fostering dependency by doing for people or merely distributing cash or goods with no forethought. Crossroads, referred to by tk, has an excellent reputation & is run by Dr. Bob, the Sosua veterinarian who has been here over 20 years and knows about the pitfalls. Volunteers are a) supervised, as tk has made clear & b) are part of an ongoing programme of work with the community which started years before they arrived and continues way after they have left. MikeFisher, in giving out stuff, has been here long enough to make judgements about real need. We channel stuff coming in to Integracion Juvenil and they make the decision as to recipients and timing. But all of these efforts are based on what JD has highlighted - sharing of self and skills - not doing for but doing with and it requires ongoing committment and a lot of time. That's why expats should really only take on projects they know they can commit to longterm; the bandaid quick 'fixes' don't help, in my view.

For expats who haven't got the time for such committment, then financial donations to reputable organisations who will use wisely, or setting up scholarships for children to receive the sort of education which will benefit their children, in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.