I Would Think Twice

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I bought an apartment last year in SD, despite realising that a) the maintenance fees were very high and b) it would be hard to sell. Why? Basically because I love the apartment and wasn't buying it to sell, I bought it to enjoy it. The maintenance fees are high (US$ 600 per month) mainly because of insurance. The tower is fully insured against hurricane and earthquakes and insurance companies are jacking up the premiums because climate change is increasing the risks. Our insurance went up by 15% this year. But for my $600 a month I get 24 hour front desk, amazing security, everything cleaned and repainted and the peace of mind that if we are hit by a hurricane or an earthquake, I won't lose everything. So it's expensive, but worth it.

In London it's normal to pay $1,000 a month maintenance fees for a lot less.

No doubt climate change is driving the rates thru the roof. I hear
the climate is changing so fast in London now a days, it a make
ya head spin. :cheeky:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No doubt climate change is driving the rates thru the roof. It has nothing to do
with people taking advantage of you :cheeky:
I read that and chuckled.

"We are raising your rates because of climate change."

I'd get a new insurance company.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Nope-maybe you don't know what you are talking about-many apartment complexes-specifically in SD have this problem-so there is definitely a point to my post and a lot more-the laws in the country for Condominiums are antiquated at best and can't deal with these issues effectively.
I have two..No problems.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have two..No problems.

I think we should have a poll. How many here have bought or rented without problems? I've lived all over the island, but have had at least 8-10 here in SD without problems.

Who else has had problems like Jimmy?

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
I bought an apartment last year in SD, despite realising that a) the maintenance fees were very high and b) it would be hard to sell. Why? Basically because I love the apartment and wasn't buying it to sell, I bought it to enjoy it. The maintenance fees are high (US$ 600 per month) mainly because of insurance. The tower is fully insured against hurricane and earthquakes and insurance companies are jacking up the premiums because climate change is increasing the risks. Our insurance went up by 15% this year. But for my $600 a month I get 24 hour front desk, amazing security, everything cleaned and repainted and the peace of mind that if we are hit by a hurricane or an earthquake, I won't lose everything. So it's expensive, but worth it.

In London it's normal to pay $1,000 a month maintenance fees for a lot less.

YES, But You are in London

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I have a unit in Ocean One, Cabarete, bought it from the developer and used a "real" lawyer (everyone is a lawyer this island) and couoldn't be happier. My neighbor bought after me and payer 15% more. I've had offers but no intentions of selling. Its what you buy and when and where, and of course a real lawyer ...

singletravel

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think we should have a poll. How many here have bought or rented without problems? I've lived all over the island, but have had at least 8-10 here in SD without problems.

JD, I never had a problem in over 15yrs in the DR. Sure, sometimes small details, but no worse or better than many other countries I have lived and worked in.

It comes down to who you know and who you use (lawyer).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

11 years, three residences, no problems.

It is maddening how landlords don't fix things, but it is what it is, we've accepted it and deal with things ourselves.

For instance, our house needed painting and the landlord dragged his feet for two years. BUT he wanted to increase the rent RD$3000. So I cut him a deal wrapped in a bluff: unless the house gets painted we will move out. However, we will paint the house but the rent stays the same for 2 years. I knew the reason he didn't paint was because he didn't have the cheese. He uses the rent we pay for living expenses without creating a cash maintenance account. So we bailed him out---he knew if we moved he'd have to paint the house, and it would cost him both cash he didn't have for paint and labor, as well as 2-3 minths without rent. Win-win.

Gotta be creative. But in Jimmy's defense, I have no doubt corruption can run deep in condo associations despite new laws aimed at preventing them. I'n not sure how one would deal with such issues besides moving out.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Corruption is far from unique to condo association here in the DR. I can't tell you how many cases I've heard of in Florida where the BOD swindled association owners out of tens of thousands of dollars.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I agree, there is certainly some shady places here and people will do anything to sell and some pretend lawyers but if you do your due diligence (like any other country) talk to the neighbors, use a well-known lawyer who has a reputation to protect, and don't fall for the distress sale (you get what you pay for) all will be well.

Both of my properties have very high HOA's but I get what I pay for. In SHR I sleep with the doors open (people gasp when they see this, but I pay for it, no doubt, but sleep well) and Ocean One is also high but unlimted electricity (great if you rent it out) and well run and many happy owners (although the L'agency I think will soon be voted out). The HOA meetings are run by a professional lawyer and everyone is allowed input.

But, as always, buyers beware for there are some shady people out there. As Robert (hey when are you going to visit, I've gone through two cats since last time, jijiji) said, USE A WELL-KNOWN AND RESPECTED LAWYER even if they cost more.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Bob, did you buy that apartment I used to rent? Under Oscar I could have had a life long rent if I wanted.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Rent is the only way to go here...... to buy is Russian roulette ... with these thieves .....I like to be able just pack my suitcase and off to the next bizzaro land I find......... Columbia is getting hot again and safe folks Im getting tempted

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Well problem solved until the Landlord raises your rent to offset the massive increase to the mantenimiento and then the hassle and cost to move to another apartment with new contract.

Then you move.

It's alot less hassle to move to another rented apartment then try to sell an apartment. One takes a couple days the other months, years or never.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Then you move.

It's alot less hassle to move to another rented apartment then try to sell an apartment. One takes a couple days the other months, years or never.

Yah but moving from apartment to apartment all the time is a disruption especially with a family and given that most of these apartment buildings at least in SD have this corruption problem, means there is going to be a lot of moving in the future.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
11 years, three residences, no problems.

It is maddening how landlords don't fix things, but it is what it is, we've accepted it and deal with things ourselves.

For instance, our house needed painting and the landlord dragged his feet for two years. BUT he wanted to increase the rent RD$3000. So I cut him a deal wrapped in a bluff: unless the house gets painted we will move out. However, we will paint the house but the rent stays the same for 2 years. I knew the reason he didn't paint was because he didn't have the cheese. He uses the rent we pay for living expenses without creating a cash maintenance account. So we bailed him out---he knew if we moved he'd have to paint the house, and it would cost him both cash he didn't have for paint and labor, as well as 2-3 minths without rent. Win-win.

Gotta be creative. But in Jimmy's defense, I have no doubt corruption can run deep in condo associations despite new laws aimed at preventing them. I'n not sure how one would deal with such issues besides moving out.

It runs very deep-Some kind of underground monopoly with illicit loans that these directiva-administrators are taking on bypassing the condominium by-laws-using the ever increasing monthly assoc fee to service the debt at the great cost to the maintenance of the property in the long run. Zero accountability since they have full signatory control over the main account and with no real independent audit process allows for fake inflating expense game with checks in return for commissions. The courts are rather useless as stuck in a matrix that can be gamed easily by buying off owners on the property with favors-kick backs-reduced to no monthly assoc. fees in return for signing off on poderes in control of a small minority group at assembly meetings. Nice world we live in-good luck.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It runs very deep-Some kind of underground monopoly with illicit loans that these directiva-administrators are taking on bypassing the condominium by-laws-using the ever increasing monthly assoc fee to service the debt at the great cost to the maintenance of the property in the long run. Zero accountability since they have full signatory control over the main account and with no real independent audit process allows for fake inflating expense game with checks in return for commissions. The courts are rather useless as stuck in a matrix that can be gamed easily by buying off owners on the property with favors-kick backs-reduced to no monthly assoc. fees in return for signing off on poderes in control of a small minority group at assembly meetings. Nice world we live in-good luck.
More reason to rent instead of buy in the DR.

When you buy an apartment in the DR, you are marrying into a family you do not know.

I am truly sorry for your position and doubt there is any way out besides a costly divorce.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
More reason to rent instead of buy in the DR.

When you buy an apartment in the DR, you are marrying into a family you do not know.

I am truly sorry for your position and doubt there is any way out besides a costly divorce.

I've talked with numerous lawyers in this country-all have the same answer as this here, which is quite unfortunate for property owners.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I've talked with numerous lawyers in this country-all have the same answer as this here, which is quite unfortunate for property owners.
Heck, I wouldn't buy property in the US if it has a HOA, but for a different reason: too many control freaks want to run them. They aren't corrupt, just petty Nazis.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

We've been renting since I moved here (well, my wife before that as well), and are hoping to be homeowners in the near future, but what cobraboy says above is one of the key points we've discussed, so: We've lived in three apartments very many years back. No matter if rent or buy, we will never again live in any apartment. We want it to be just us no matter if we go up (roof) or down (well, in a house, there is no "down"). We will not share water with anyone (=own cistern + own pump + own plumbing + own tinaco if needed). We will not share entrance nor patio with anyone.

Currently, we live in a 4-family solar, so four separate houses share a huge solar. We are lucky, we could not ask for better neighbors or the "mantenimiento". We've lived in the same place for a very long time, and do not have plans to move until we move to what's our own. But: if/when we purchase, it has to be a single family home in a place we're fully familiar with, not just with the neighbors, but also with water/electricity supply.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Whether to buy or rent depends on what your goals are when you move here. I came here to stay so I bought - a condo. My maintenance fees are less then 1/3 of what a unit would rent for so, I've saved over $70,000 USD that I would have just p*ssed away had I rented.

I would never buy a house here unless it were in a gated community. Guard dogs, bars on the windows, razor wire, and needing a shotgun just in case are not the way I want to live.

Condos require more due diligence than houses. I've lived in condos for over 30 years and never had any real problems that were anywhere serious enough that I even remotely considered moving. Different strokes for different folks.