if someone knows, please...

lodestar

New member
Mar 9, 2005
17
0
0
i'm considering to come and live in DR. Now, i saw on the official site that it takes only a few steps to get a permanenet residence over there.How they say over there, it just looks too good to be true. So i'm asking if anyone knows is it really possible to get dominican residence and if it is, what are the chanses to start some small bussines of your own, such as some small coffee bar or something like that, and would it be a good investment? I'm not planing to get rich over there of course, but to live a decent moderate life.
thanks in advance...
salute
 

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
20,575
326
83
dr1.com
Post the websites link, we will soon tell you.

But first I would read this website inside out, it answers pretty much 99% of the questions you have and have yet to think of.
 

lodestar

New member
Mar 9, 2005
17
0
0
yes, but i would appriciate a personal opinion from someone who is familiar with this issue.

thanks...
 

TEHAMA

New member
Feb 3, 2004
341
0
0
Have you been to the DR? This is not a fantasy island. Many of the simple things here can become the most difficult. I just suggest you come and hangout for a month or so before actually making a major move.

I tried it out for 3 weeks once. I ran screaming to airport. The plane simply couldnt take off fast enough. I re-grouped (mentallly) and then tried it again.
TEHAMA
 

lodestar

New member
Mar 9, 2005
17
0
0
TEHAMA said:
Have you been to the DR? This is not a fantasy island. Many of the simple things here can become the most difficult. I just suggest you come and hangout for a month or so before actually making a major move.

I tried it out for 3 weeks once. I ran screaming to airport. The plane simply couldnt take off fast enough. I re-grouped (mentallly) and then tried it again.
TEHAMA
i have never been there, and i suppose it is so like you say. Thats why i put this thread, to get a little informed before i come.I'm planing to visit DR on the summer for a couple of weeks and see how the thing are going over there. But anyway, i thought, a few informations from expirienced people could not hurt.
thanks...
 

Ken

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2002
13,510
172
63
It is not difficult to get residency, especially if you have the help of a good attorney. Just be sure that he doesn't get one through the back door because then when you go to renew you will find you must start all over.

But post the link so we can see what it says.

You can start a business; many people do. Whether it will be a good investment depends on many factors. Best to spend some time get acquainted with the area you are interested in and its needs before you make the investment.
 

Escott

New member
Jan 14, 2002
7,716
6
0
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
lodestar said:
i have never been there, and i suppose it is so like you say. Thats why i put this thread, to get a little informed before i come.I'm planing to visit DR on the summer for a couple of weeks and see how the thing are going over there. But anyway, i thought, a few informations from expirienced people could not hurt.
thanks...
You have never been here but plan on moving and going into business here? Thats silly. Why even consider a place you have never been to?
 

lodestar

New member
Mar 9, 2005
17
0
0
Escott said:
You have never been here but plan on moving and going into business here? Thats silly. Why even consider a place you have never been to?
you should see where i live now and it would be all clear to you. beside, who doesnt like palms and the see.. another reason: i'm from serbia&montenegro, and i need visa for 99% of the world. (you assume that DR is in the other 1%). anyway, its not about money(i live here a decent life), its just about changing the inviroment from the cold somber to nice and sunny...
simple as that
salute
 

lodestar

New member
Mar 9, 2005
17
0
0
And beside, why is then DR1 site encouraging people to visit the dom rep. and even consider it their second home? id read it, i liked it and id like to try...
why not? even if i have never been there, i guess it cant be that worse?! i found DR very attractive...
 

rellosk

New member
Mar 18, 2002
4,159
54
0
lodestar said:
And beside, why is then DR1 site encouraging people to visit the dom rep. and even consider it their second home? id read it, i liked it and id like to try...
why not? even if i have never been there, i guess it cant be that worse?! i found DR very attractive...
What people are trying to say is the DR is great place for a vacation. It is also a great place to retire. But to start a business and move to the DR, is very, very difficult with many obstacles. I know of many people that have moved here with there life savings started a business and lost everything. Then they are forced to go back to their homeland and start again. Business here is not conducted in the same manner as the US/Canada/Western Europe. Although I have no first hand knowledge of Serbia & Montenegro I think business there may be similar to here; very cutthroat unless you have connections and know the lay of the land.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to make a few trips before you take the plunge. You should be able to learn a lot on one extended trip.
 

carina

New member
Mar 13, 2005
2,691
2
0
lodestar said:
you should see where i live now and it would be all clear to you. beside, who doesnt like palms and the see.. another reason: i'm from serbia&montenegro, and i need visa for 99% of the world. (you assume that DR is in the other 1%). anyway, its not about money(i live here a decent life), its just about changing the inviroment from the cold somber to nice and sunny...
simple as that
salute
So come here first, learn about the country and the culture.. The palms and the ocean is not all. You are talking about moving to a country ( a third world country ) where you have never been before.
Sure you can move, or open a business, its possible in almost any country of the world.. but come first, see if you like the reality and daily life, that is not about palm trees, not matter you are running a good business, retired etc etc.
 

lodestar

New member
Mar 9, 2005
17
0
0
thank you for your advices. i sure will visit DR for a couple of weeks and see how things are going. in serbia and montenegro also isn't so great. jobs are low payed, its hard for living. as for location, i would like to visit samana. does anyone of you can tell me something about samana? i found a lot of infos about samana on the net, but i dont know if it is a peacefuul and quiet place or it is crowded and noisy? i am more interested in small and quiet locations, and i would appreciate if some of you maybe could give me some suggestions?

thank you very much and greetings from serbia&montenegro!
 

carina

New member
Mar 13, 2005
2,691
2
0
Just come, and check the island out... you seem to be dreaming alot right now.. Jobs have low salaries here too, as a newcomer, if you dont know the culture, the language etc etc and IF you find a job ( unemployment is huge here ) you will be happy to earn 100-200 us per month, if even that.
It wont pay your food , or your living, so you need to have savings..
This is not a cheap country to live in, so come and also, see many threads on this messageboard that covers this topic..
 

lodestar

New member
Mar 9, 2005
17
0
0
carina said:
Just come, and check the island out... you seem to be dreaming alot right now.. Jobs have low salaries here too, as a newcomer, if you dont know the culture, the language etc etc and IF you find a job ( unemployment is huge here ) you will be happy to earn 100-200 us per month, if even that.
It wont pay your food , or your living, so you need to have savings..
This is not a cheap country to live in, so come and also, see many threads on this messageboard that covers this topic..

sure i'll visit DR. but then again, you can't find out everything you wanna know in a couple of weeks.i know i will like it there, like all of those tourists who come on a couple of weeks vacation.But one thing is couple of weeks vacation and other thing is a couple of decades living, wright?:) so thats why i'm trying to get informed as much as i can even before that couple of weeks vacation in DR. you said 100-200us wouldnt pay food and livind. can you tell me how much would pay? and how much is for examlpe to rent a modest apartement on samana peninsula?
thank you carina for your time and informations
 

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
3,146
0
0
www.domrep-info.com
Dear Saman?

lodestar said:
.... and how much is for examlpe to rent a modest apartement on samana peninsula?....
Whatever "modest" means to you I don't know, but I guess you are used to H/C-water supply, 24 hrs of electricity and security.
An apartment with those amenities should go from 400 U$ onwards.
The cost of living has gone up quite a bit in the last 8 months.
I think that 1500 U$ is necessary to lead a decent life.
Nothing extravagant though.

Greetings from
Saman?
M'frog
 

Escott

New member
Jan 14, 2002
7,716
6
0
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
lodestar said:
And beside, why is then DR1 site encouraging people to visit the dom rep. and even consider it their second home? id read it, i liked it and id like to try...
why not? even if i have never been there, i guess it cant be that worse?! i found DR very attractive...
Well I love the place and moved here about 2 years ago when I got tired of commuting back and forth from NY.

Residence is easy but getting to know the culture and idiosyncracies are the hard part especially if you are planning to be in business.

Weather is beautiful and the people are great for the most part.

Escott
 

carina

New member
Mar 13, 2005
2,691
2
0
I agree, of course you cannot learn all by 2 weeks vacation, and you need to learn by your own experience..
Residency is not difficult to get at all, just be sure you have a good lawyer, if it comes to the point you deside to live here.
Apartments and costs, yes 1500 US a month would be enough for a very modest life, and if you cut insurances out etc.
For an apartment, food, some mean of transportation ( public or own ) and a beer every now and then, it would be enough.
 

lodestar

New member
Mar 9, 2005
17
0
0
well, i dont drink beer, so i guess i can cut it off from my list of consuming. just kidding:) oh well, 1500 is a 'nice' sum of money.
i know it is best to own an apartment than to rent one. but can someone, who is in that period of 2 years of getting residency, buy an apartment? or you must wait to get residency and then purchase a real estate and maybe start some work of your own?
and escott, thank you for your lines. yor reply was so calming:)

greetings...
 

Rattus_Rattus

New member
Apr 3, 2004
1,564
42
0
My budget is 1500+us. It is possible to survive for a lot less. You dont have to live here for a long time for buying property. Buy when you want- and enjoy life and a beautiful country with mostly nice people.
 

carina

New member
Mar 13, 2005
2,691
2
0
There is a good advice always around here, that is live here for at least 6 months up to a year before you buy a house or apartment. The island has many cities and villages, and also the cities have various neighbourhoods. It takes time to find something that you really want for a long time ahead, and there is really no need to rush.. Legally you can buy whenever you want, but you need this time to get in to the society and the culture and to deside where you want to belong.
When you come you will see there is no problem in buying or finding objects.
Read a few of the threads about real estate here on dr1, it will give you information about prices etc.
I understand you are concerned and eager to find out alot, but truly you cannot about a country you have never visited.
First you need to see if this island is for you, the Caribbean islands are all very different, in culture and even in weather... you need secondly see that you can afford an everyday living here.
If you deside, after having seen with your own eyes, this is where you want to live, then you go step by step.
You need to feel you want to move to a place because of that special place, not that you are moving from a place.
It seems to me you are more looking to get away from your reality you live in now. This is fine, but travel here and see first.