If you travle to America....

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
You can flush toilet paper down the toilet. Funniest thing ever, that I witnessed at the JFK airport. Sweet gesture, but unnecessary.:)

"You can flush TOILET paper down the TOILET" not NOTEBOOK paper but TOILET paper. If "toilet" paper can't go in the toilet where is can it go????

BTW Its called "toilet paper" for a very good reason.

Feb 7, 2007
I find it funny that in a tourist place (Boca Chica) there is a sign at a gas station saying "Don't throw and flush the toilet paper down the toilet. Would you do that at home?" Because it seemed funny for a place which many tourists would likely visit/stop by, I pointed out to a gas station attendant that the tourists most likely would. The sign is still there two years later.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Continuation from the days when the drain line was a small diameter pipe, and there wasn't enough water to fill the toilet tank for a good flush. Now drain lines are "normal" (larger diameter) size, so flushing toilet paper down is fine.

It's perfectly fine to flush toilet paper into a septic tank sized properly for the structure, and with a proper drain field.

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
A couple problems:

First the toilet paper tends to be poor quality so that it doesn't "melt" like the 1000 Scott tissue rolls in the U.S.. Try flushing paper towels down a US toilet everyday and you'll get problems too.

Second, the septic lines to the tank/sewer are often set level and even uphill into the sewer lines.(sometimes due to seismic issues)

Third, the lines can be very far from the actual sewer, so that a 3 gallon flush isn't going to push it down the line far enough. You get the same problems where there are septic tanks.

Forth, you can get root intrusion into the lines. This will let loose solids through, but paper will get blocked. Esp common when the outside lines are dry set tile segments instead of PVC.

Fifth, there are no basements in the DR to speak of. Many(if not most) septic lines have no clean-out other than to remove the toilet, and about half of those are actually cemented into the floor. Cleaning out a line after going through the toilet is next to impossible.

Sixth, many rural homes do not have septic tanks per se. They have porous dry wells that will not break down paper products. All that paper adds up eventually.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the reality of dominican plumbing is that some a**holes have a bigger diameter than sewage pipes used here. and replacing and fixing that is a major work. it does not cost all that much more when you are building the house from scratch but will cost you arm and leg to tear up all the plumbing inside the house and dig up the garden to replace pipes.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In my house, we have 9, or more people, "DUMPING" everyday!
We never flush paper down the toilets here.
"Someone", did flush a whole potato down once, and I had to "Snake" it out!
After 15 years,I have never had to pump out the septic system, whatever it is.
My "POOPS" sometimes are the size of those giant salamis you see at the supermarket, AND, have less E-Coli", rat $hit, and more protein!
Too Much Information?????????????????????
Point is, "If It Ain't Broke", Don't CHANGE It!"
We will continue to throw our "TP" in the INODORO!, OR, on the bathroom floor in some cases!
I had to write, "Hombres, Por Favor SUBEME" on the seat with a heavy, black,magic marker!
I got tired of sitting on someone's "PI$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Far, I'm DRY!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
2cwv9z6.jpg

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
PeterInBrat is right. I have a relative by marriage that does home maintenance here and asked him a long time ago why and he said exactly the same thing.

dv8 is also right. Modern built homes done properly by modern standards don't have an isue. If you account for all the possible issues PeterInBrat said when you build the home or business you should be fine. Doing it after the fact will be terribly expensive.