IKEA - It's HUGE!!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
It would be nice if they would send some of their catalogues to the North Coast.

Feb 7, 2007
Expat13 you hit it on the money, Dominican companies don't know the word "CUSTOMER SERVICE"
Let them all go down under, the quicker we make DR into PR the better

Not even a proper warranty... when you buy electronics, they try it before you leave the store, after that ... you're on your own. If it breaks down, at the very best they will take it in and repair (themselves). That's how even big companies like Plaza Lama do it ... I think we still need stores ? la Best Buy here with proper warranties, etc. to show the "electronics" industry how to do business ....

One thing, I was surprised, this past December in my country (Slovakia) that I went to Metro (Walmart style European chain) to buy trainers (tennis shoes) for the gym, because there were on after-Xmas special (9 Euros) and along with it came ... a 1 year warranty. I almost fainted. Try that in the DR! Ha!

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If anybody knows the fat and greed that is part and parcel of Dominican businesses they would know a little competition would be good.

Also, this could certainly help our environment here in a big way; much of the homemade furniture is made from local wood - which is mostly illegal. And yet I have family that has been working as a carpenter for 20 some odd years.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
IKEA...will do to SD what Wal-Mart, Home Deopt & Office Depot have done in America...kill off the poorly run independent stores and create jobs for those who want to work for a large, stable company.

For those who wish to stay in business, it's going to take a firm look at product, practices and people.....then major adjustments in the Dominican business owner's mind-set.

Perhaps the opening of these global box stores is what the DR needs...

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
While I am as pleased as anyone else about Ikea's opening here I do not think it is necessarily going to usher in a new era of business, certainly not by "showing everyone how it's done".

I understand that the President himself was involved in the project from day 1 and I am positive that this is the ONLY reason they are able to offer the same pricing and selection as their European stores.

So enjoy it while it lasts people, because even if Ikea's current pricing structure proves profitable for them in SPITE of the local shipping monopolies and trucking mafias, in spite of rampant employee theft and fraud, in spite of the toughest labor laws in the region, and in spite of high import taxes, you can bet that a good few government officials have this company on their "to be looted later" list and I am sure that Ikea's ability to conduct business in the current fashion will outlast the current government regime by about 10 minutes.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Mr.Mike... I also think this is a way to handout a wake up call to certain people in big business here. The same way info is leaked to investigative journalists here.

Let someone else do the hard or dirty work...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican Maids Can't Wait!!!!!!!!

To get their "Mixture" of water/bleach/and laundry detergent to "work" on IKEA'S laminated "wood" and "Chip Board" furniture!!!:eek:gre::bunny::bunny:
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Has this been posted yet?

Online Catalogue DR IKEA

Andy thanks for the link. Was looking for it and couldn't find it.

As far as where they would send catalogues to the North Coast they could have their trucks when making deliveries drop some off at the Playero, Vimenica, EPS, put some on Caribe Tours or Metro Buses. They paid something to mail them in Santo Domingo.

May 29, 2006
I wonder how ALDI's would work in the DR. No shelves, no free grocery bags and very few choices, but the prices are as cheap as can be and people often buy by the case and stock up. Everything is stacked up in cases on top of shipping pallets. Almost no name brands except some bulk candy and some odd items. The one here in Upstate NY was selling small generators for $300 a piece right next to the 12 cases of 69 cent kidney beans and generic tortilla chips. What's most amazing is they start people off at $4 an hour higher than minimum wage (at about $11.50 compared to$7.50) to work as cashiers/restockers. ALDI's is German but they are fast growing in the US. The stores are small and they have a very fast turn-over rate of their inventory.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Andy thanks for the link. Was looking for it and couldn't find it.

As far as where they would send catalogues to the North Coast they could have their trucks when making deliveries drop some off at the Playero, Vimenica, EPS, put some on Caribe Tours or Metro Buses. They paid something to mail them in Santo Domingo.

You can get the IKEA DR catalogue online.

IKEA's market is Santo Domingo, they have just under 4 million people here
to spend their marketing money on before looking at other areas :)

Anyone that wan't to buy IKEA on the north coast has to come to Santo Domingo to buy it anyway. Right now they have no online or phone ordering.

Just a few hours ago, I was with someone from Punta Cana that has been waiting years for IKEA to open. She was very happy, buying lots of stuff. I'm sure the same cannot be said for her husband! hehehe

Oh yeah, the store had a blackout while we was checking out.
It made it feel very Dominican, along with the merengue music being piped
into certain areas of the store.

Jan 9, 2004
Perhaps that...

IKEA...will do to SD what Wal-Mart, Home Deopt & Office Depot have done in America...kill off the poorly run independent stores and create jobs for those who want to work for a large, stable company.

For those who wish to stay in business, it's going to take a firm look at product, practices and people.....then major adjustments in the Dominican business owner's mind-set.

Perhaps the opening of these global box stores is what the DR needs...

may happen, but how is it IKEA will be able to do what Carrefour and Pricesmart have not been able to?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
may happen, but how is it IKEA will be able to do what Carrefour and Pricesmart have not been able to?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

They offer many products you can not get here or products that are very expensive via other retailers.

They offer an experience and level of service that has not been seen in the DR.

IKEA have a great location, as opposed to Carrefour. Many of the middle class will not go to because they don't want to be seen in Carrefour with all the "chopos" from the local barrio, that's how many think, despite what they might tell you.

Pricesmart is small here, but still does relatively well and is always busy.
It's not a game changer like IKEA.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Carrefour was fine when we lived in Arroyo Hondo, but once we moved south of JFK it was not worth the trek.

Our former house is two minutes walk away from IKEA. Probably just as well we moved.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
IKEA followed by Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, B&Q as well as Metro and Selgros. Ah well, dream on!

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Would someone provide me detailed driving direction to this place. We live in POP. thanks Phil Oh, do they deliver?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's on JF Kennedy Avenue, which is the continuation of the Duarte Highway that you will be using to drive into the city from the north. IKEA is on the block located between the intersections with Lincoln and Lope de Vega Avenues, on the left side of the road as you come into the city.

Although I'm sure it is well signposted, someone who has driven there recently will be able to explain the current traffic arrangements for accessing it, because you will need to turn left at either Lincoln or Lope de Vega.