IKEA - It's HUGE!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

It was nice to see the amount of jobs the store has created. Anyone have any figures on the number of new employees? Just curious, the ones who were lucky enough to get a job are people who "know" people in the right places?

As I recall, 600 jobs and only one was not a Dominican, that being the general manager from Spain.

I was also told, that it was a very "by the book" interview process for all applicants.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The bottom line is after a well placed phone call...Walmart has no interest, at this time, in any retail stores in the DR and that any connection to the DR is limited to contracts with suppliers in the FTZ's.

As I recall, a number of local and latin america news outlets, including DR1, ran the story that Wal-Mart purchased Grupo Ramos for US$800 million.

I did a little digging this morning and it appears that a sale did not take place, despite the discussions between the two. Apparently they couldn't agree on a price.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-Have you seen any good computer chair in Ikea ?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
So I stopped by Ikea this past weekend and my impression is that it is a decent size one with less choices than the one we have up here nearby and of course a lot more expensive. The store was pretty busy (Sunday) with a lot of what appeared to be upscale shoppers (lots of expensive vehicles in the parking lot). We ended up buying some stuff that was on sale (yellow stickers), but other things the person I was with commented how she could get the same type of stuff or better at a lower price in other stores (i.e. dishes, eating utensils, etc.) Not sure how true that is...She really looved the kitchens though.

The one thing I didn't like and which I've never seen at any other Ikea here in The US was that as you come in and deeper in the stores they had these groups of young kids trying to sell you some membership to some club or something and they were a little pushy I thought. Not sure if they're always there or just this weekend (they were wearing red t-shirts).

Overall a pleasant experience I would say. I'm glad we have another choice in The DR...now if we could only get Lowe's, Best buy and maybe even a Kohls I would be a happy guy.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The whole point of Ikea used to be that it had some cheaper stuff in there that looked nice - even if it fell to bits quickly.
Even though I have not been to the UK Ikea for 10 years, I found the S.D. Ikea expensive.
Even the bits and pieces for the kitchen were expensive. Very disapointing.

I learned the Spanish word for meatballs, so all is not lost.
The meat balls were OK too.

I am currently figuring out how to work my new word into a conversation.....

Nothing appropriate springs to mind...JR - any suggestions??

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I learned the Spanish word for meatballs, so all is not lost. The meat balls were OK too.

I am currently figuring out how to work my new word into a conversation.....

Nothing appropriate springs to mind...JR - any suggestions??
Demu?strenos sus albondigas?:cheeky:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Demu?strenos sus albondigas?:cheeky:

no, gracias!!!!

Ikea has always been expensive, anywhere, for the quality it offers...

but they are great employers (meaning they do treat their employees far above average), and they do offer superior kitchen utensils which you cannot get locally...

their philosophy reminds me of the Knights topic, but on a much wider scale... and more realistic...

May 29, 2006
I've been checking out the local IKEA while I've been visiting my brother in Maryland. The products are almost secondary to the quality of service(in terms of store layout) and getting people into the culture they are marketing. We took one of my nieces and it so happened it was free food for kids that day. The other special was chicken fingers with fries for $5--all of the furniture in the dining area could be bought in the store and of course you could but the meatballs frozen. They even had 50 cent hot dogs, but I stayed clear of them. The main downside I found was that the store was such a maze-- to get in you took an escalator and to get out you had to walk through half the store and through checkout.

The kid stuff was good for the price and certainly a lot better than what you get at WALMART. The housewares in particular are very good. It's a college student's paradise for first time apartment living.