Ikea, maybe?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Magazine MERCADO July 2007. Page 15. Article about Ikea in DR due to open in October 2008! Is this official enough?

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Magazine MERCADO July 2007. Page 15. Article about Ikea in DR due to open in October 2008! Is this official enough?

Revista Mercado

En octubre del a?o pr?ximo miles de dominicanos recorrer?n las instalaciones que IKEA tendr? en la avenida John F. Kennedy de Santo Domingo para escoger los muebles y objetos decorativos que formar?n parte de sus hogares. Su fuerte apuesta por los muebles automontables, funcionales, con precios bajos, de calidad y dise?o, le convierten en un producto ?nico en el planeta que no para de cosechar ?xitos, destacan sus responsables en el pa?s, Carlos Giuliano y Erasmo Rosado.

?La firma invertir? US$40 millones tan s?lo en la obra?, asegura el ingeniero Carlos Giuliano?. De ah? nacer? un espacio que ofrecer? los dise?os m?s contempor?neos a una sociedad en la que la industria inmobiliaria est? en auge. Seg?n Erasmo Rosado, ?el proyecto generar? cientos de empleos, en un principio alrededor de 350, que ser?n cubiertos por personal dominicano que recibir? la formaci?n adecuada para cada puesto?.
La tienda IKEA de Santo Domingo ser? la primera que la compa??a sueca abra en toda Am?rica Latina. ?Rep?blica Dominicana es el lugar escogido por su situaci?n estrat?gica en el Caribe y por el crecimiento experimentado en los ?ltimos tiempos?, a?ade Carlos Giuliano. ...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I don't know if this is in the magazine, but I am told they have reached an agreement with Ferreteria Americana to work together. I am told the plan is to build an underground tunnel under the street between the two lots that are side by side.

I always suspected this would happen when the Ikea lot was the same size as the Americana Departamentos (Ferreteria Americana) on JF Kennedy Avenue.

Ikea will open a new job category in the DR -- that of furniture installers. I think they will put out of work lots of fancy Italian kitchen designers and lots of shops that did custom-made kitchens, all very expensive. But the trick will be in assembling the pieces.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not So Fast!! REMEMBER, We Are In The DR!!!

I "Believe" little of what I SEE,and nothing of what I hear,or read!!

"Leonel" says that he will take the first ride on the "Metro" on the 27th. of Febuary!!
"Sears" was to build a store where "Plaza Lama" is now located on 27 de Feb. Remember the "Island" off the "Malecon"???
The "Railroad" from Haina to Santiago???
If "Ikea" does eventually come to the DR,I will still prefer to buy my furniture from local craftsmen,made from solid "Caoba"! Imported furniture cannot stand up to the DR! You know,like when the maid throws "Agua con Cloro" all over the walls and ceilings? When the relatives kids come to visit? They use nice furniture as a "Trampolin"! "Comejin" love "Fiberboard",and "Pino",NOT Caoba!
Some things just don't "Translate" well to the Dominican Republic! Look at "Radio Shack DR" It $UCKS!! VERY expensive,no selection,and the sales people know absolutely "NADA"!
Now if you want to bring a "Home Depot", or a "LOWES"! Come-On-Down"!
Cris Colon

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm sure IKEA will do well here if the pricing is right. Look at all the contemporary furniture stores that have popped up in Santo Domingo in the past few years. They stay in business despite their pricing as they offer an alternative to the "gordy" heavy looking stuff you see all over the place here.

IKEA are a massive company that are hugely successful around the world.
I have a feeling they have done their home work if they are coming to the DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Are You "Joshing" Me James????

If you actually take the time to read this entire thread,you will soon learn that in the DR, NOTHING is "For Sure"!!! When,and if,an "IKEA" comes here,the date that it actually opens,will be the date that it actually opens!! You must learn that in the DR,no one makes plans for a specific date. "Dates" are just a fantasy time sometime in the future, MAYBE!. NEVER depend on any date that a Dominican tells you. They just like to "Talk", you don't have to be truthful here,just smile,and be verbose!
"Learn Or Burn"!
CRIS COLKON CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I "Believe" little of what I SEE,and nothing of what I hear,or read!!

If "Ikea" does eventually come to the DR,I will still prefer to buy my furniture from local craftsmen,made from solid "Caoba"! Imported furniture cannot stand up to the DR! You know,like when the maid throws "Agua con Cloro" all over the walls and ceilings? When the relatives kids come to visit? They use nice furniture as a "Trampolin"! "Comejin" love "Fiberboard",and "Pino",NOT Caoba!

Now if you want to bring a "Home Depot", or a "LOWES"! Come-On-Down"!
Cris Colon

I have to agree with Tom on this one. I would rather buy local than the "pressed wood" junk from Ikea. What about the missing hardware. It's not too much of a problem to get a replacement in Canada or USA, but here..... Lot's of luck.

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
Ikea is a great store .. furniture is not the best quality but its affordable for many. they have neat items, lamps, rugs, etc.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Some Info I have come across in my dealings with people related to the data:

Ikea "will" open a store in the DR no earlier than last quarter of 2008 to as late as the second quarter of 2009, as provided by interoffice mail. They're still working on logistics and related economic-political links to be ironed out before the store opens for good.

Home Depot will not "open" a store in the DR, they're in the process of negotiating to buy a well known established Dominican corporation with the required sites and space for a switch to Home Depot stores... They'll buy instead of competing to avoid getting their behind wet too much...

Lowes is "not" contemplating to follow Home Depot as reported but keeping a low profile to monitor the Depot jump and numbers in the DR.

WalMart is active in the DR for sites to build a Super store. They "will" come to the DR just not before they shed some stores in the US for good.

Big store chains will come to the DR as many Dominicans are now finding it more productive to work with outside brands than opening up a new Mall and be the new kid on the block, proven to be a short lived "investment" projection.

Many Dominican established names will go the way of the Samurai, but regardless many will survive the chain reaction as the DR's market is a matter of shock and awe for a while.