I'm new 2 all of this and would really appreciate some help

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
when all of u moved out there did u have much support?
No, no support at all... But I was already speaking fluent Spanish on my 1st day here... And I came from Jamaica, Venezuela, Cuba, Martinique etc... 5 years in the islands to transform this European in a "tropicalized Gringo" :)

doesn't everyone have to start somewhere?
Indeed... Indeed...

with regads to the guy i'm trying to wean myself off of him
do u think love can exist or it always about money?
Mostly yes... It shall be mostly about money... But it is not a rule carved in stone... Exceptions exist... If you are a white woman, try not to trust ANY Dominican male. If you have a little adventure, keep it in your bedroom at night, and let it vanish at 8:00am...

how long did it take u all 2 adapt to the DR lifestyle?
5 minutes...
But after 10 years, I am starting to feel my European roots again... I even listen to Beethoven every once in a while...

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
From Breast Fed to Formula in January

when all of u moved out there did u have much support?
The question should be:
"How many made it in circumstances like you'd be in?"

doesn't everyone have to start somewhere?
Yes, but why in a soup of problems?

with regads to the guy i'm trying to wean myself off of him
Don't fool yourself.
(Oh, I see, that's why you're coming in January... :cheeky: )

do u think love can exist or it always about money?
Yes, we know, he's a DDD... :bunny:

how long did it take u all 2 adapt to the DR lifestyle?
That varies from 5 minutes ("Squat") to never.

Janin

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
ok I'll change the question, has anyone come to the DR with little money in there pocket and still lives there?

Has anyone had any good experience a man from the DR?

and why does everyone assume that I am stuid enough to give my money to a man?
In fact I havn't given him anything in all the 3 times I've been there!

Im black british, parents r from Jamaica, trust me when it comes to money and a cheap ticket to the UK I know how it goes!

I just wanna go to the country, it's close to Jamaica and Miami, where iv'e got alot of family.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com

Yes I'm having a very good experince, but I didn't meet him on holiday, he's not from a poor family and had a very good job in DR before he came to the UK - so I guess its a bit different and I'm sure there are many many many people on here who have had a good experience with a DR man and plenty of bad ones too as with men/women from any country.

Oct 29, 2006
just pack your suitcase and go

Chunka:

Do not be afraid to make the move. You can always go back to UK.

Just be prepared to go through some financial hardship, unless you can land a good job (very improbable in DR)

Follow your instinct, be aware and alert, come to DR, learn, experience the culture and after a while, re-evaluate your position.

You will regreat it, it you don't try. It's already embeded in your mind.

Just do it!!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
ok I'll change the question, has anyone come to the DR with little money in there pocket and still lives there?

and why does everyone assume that I am stuid enough to give my money to a man?
In fact I haven't given him anything in all the 3 times I've been there!

Im black british, parents r from Jamaica, trust me when it comes to money and a cheap ticket to the UK I know how it goes!

I just wanna go to the country, it's close to Jamaica and Miami, where iv'e got alot of family.

Go for it. No one can tell you the stove is hot if you've never experienced it.

You have received a lot good info here so go with eyes wide open and guard your heart and money and do not allow anyone to take advantage of you.

At least you can say you have tried rather than always wonder. We learn from our experience good or bad.

We older people mean well in trying to save others from getting hurt but doing nothing is not living. Just keep in mind the advice you've been given.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Like the saying goes..... ?Its better to try and fail, than not to try at all?....if you don?t try, then you will always wonder.....

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
ahh, this is moe like it! So should I just go for it and go in Jan? what would u do?

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
I've contacted Crossroads regarding some voluntary work, who knows maybe i can get somekind of work after doing that. I volunteered in South Africa for 3months doing HIV and AIDS awareness, so I thought I could use those skills I already have and try them out in the DR. Has anyone volunteered for Crossroads before?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Now if you're coming in as a volunteer, that's very different. I've rarely heard of volunteers having bad experiences. Crossroads is a great organisation, run by Dr. Bob (the vet) & Jana Amelingmeier. Christian based, they work in the poorest of the bateys mainly with Haitian families. Dr. Bob provides medical services to people who otherwise would not be able to afford health care -given your social services & HIV work you might want to find out more from Dr. Bob about the medical mission.

We came in from UK 15 years ago with very little money - we set ourselves the task of living off Dominican salaries. It wasn't easy but there were huge non-financial gains (I wrote about it in the book Chirimoya refers to). The difference back then was a) it was easier to find work b) cost of living was much cheaper back then c)crime level was much lower & very few drug associated problems d) there were far fewer expats on north coast then than now so those people looking to scam foreigners weren't drawn to certain areas as they are now and e) I came with my significant other and he is a person I can rely on 110% in any situation, so unlike you, I didn't arrive alone. There were 2 of us, the equivalent of ?1500 and a cavalier king charles spaniel...........and we're still here although Merengue died & we have had other dogs since.

We had no plans of buying property at that time, not until we discovered if the country was for us. We gave ourselves 6 months to make that decision (& made it in 3). We burned few bridges back in UK (there was still a house, bank account and I could probably have returned to my career). We had both lived in other countries before the DR and I had lived out in the open in the Sahara desert; we had other languages between us but not Spanish. Few expats here then meant we had to learn the language quickly. Working from Dominican salaries meant we experienced what life is like for the average Dominican and that is a lesson I have never forgotten.

Maybe there is something in this which will help you, I don't know. I deliberately haven't commented on your personal relationship because, as an adult, you should be able to work that one out for yourself. But don't take on financial committments you may not be able to meet (like a property). It is more important to find out IF this country is for you (& it isn't for everyone) first. Everything else follows on. If you look on it as a time of exploration & discovery (including about the self) then there is no such thing as failure.

Good luck, whatever you decide. :)

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Chunka: come..your mind is made up, but don?t close any doors back home and leave yourself money to get home if you decide to go. Listen to the advise being given on this post. Under no circumstances tell anyone how much money/stuff you have or where you have it, or give access to it to any you don?t know (especially your male friend). You do strike me as somewhat naive but on the other hand, weren?t we all at some point? It would be great if you could bring enough money to travel around rather than renting an apartment..and get to see all the DR has to offer. What about coming with a friend for an extended vacation? 2-3 months?? Then you have someone to watch your back, and vice versa.

Either way I wish you lots of luck..be safe..use your head..and if you do come to SD send me a PM. Take care!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que paso?.....

ahh, this is moe like it! So should I just go for it and go in Jan? what would u do?
What about the job you said you were starting for 6 months?.....What about saving more money, like you said?.

A wise man once told me that "a person who changes his/her mind at a drop of a hat is an accident waiting to happen".

When SOME of us gave you sound advice, you decided to stay, start a new job, save and THEN go.

Now, because SOME are telling you what you WANT to hear, you are back to square one.

Only YOU can decide what's best for you.

If you decide to go in January, at least try and familiarize yourself the best you can.

Your best "bet" is to read those threads that "talk" about what to do and what not to do in the DR (as I told you earlier).

VERY IMPORTANT: PLAN B should be planned BEFORE you get over there.

If I (AS IN ME) am going to fail, I rather fail knowing that PLAN B will be there to pick me up.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
When SOME of us gave you sound advice, you decided to stay, start a new job, save and THEN go.

Now, because SOME are telling you what you WANT to hear, you are back to square one.

Only YOU can decide what's best for you.

Well to be fair, Miguel, chunka has moved the goalposts a bit - she is now talking about coming in as a volunteer & seeing what gives after that. As far as being told what she wants to hear............she'll need to get used to that in DR, yes? ;)

Like you, though, I hope she is simply testing the responses out, not changing her mind from one day to the next because that would herald a level of lack of self confidence which would not help her here. She works in social work so she can't be that indecisive.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Empieza desde el principio....

Well to be fair, Miguel, chunka has moved the goalposts a bit - she is now talking about coming in as a volunteer & seeing what gives after that. As far as being told what she wants to hear............she'll need to get used to that in DR, yes? ;)

Like you, though, I hope she is simply testing the responses out, not changing her mind from one day to the next because that would herald a level of lack of self confidence which would not help her here. She works in social work so she can't be that indecisive.

I understand what you are saying BUUUUT this girl sounds more confused than when my daughter found out there's no Santa Claus!.

"Let's go to the videotape":

1- She posted she was moving to the DR in January and that she needed work asap.....,

2- Then she said she was confused because she thought 3 thousand would be enough whirls looking for work......,

3- Then she admitted to be rushing because she could not stand her country and it's culture......,

4- Then she said she could try and find some bar work.....,

5- Then she posted, again, that she was confused a someone mentioned about someone of color moving to the DR......,

6- Then she posted she was going to give it a try.......,

7- A little over 5 HOURS LATER, she posted: "change of plans". That she decided to to take a job for 6 months, in January, and save and then move in June because now her aim was to save 8,000....,

8- Then she posted, YET AGAIN, that she wanted to go in January for 2 weeks just to get it out of her system. She also said that she got carried away and that she was going on emotions rather than sense......,

9- Then, when SOME started to tell her what she wanted to hear, NOW she says she want to go and do volunteer work.

If this girl is NOT changing her mind faster than Speedy Gonzalez, then I am the Queen of England!!.

Come on, this thread is only a few days old!.

If she was so concerned about leaving in June to save more money, why does she have to go to the DR in Jan for 2 weeks and spend some of the money she saved?.

If she talks, A LOT, about needing to find work as soon as possible, why is she willing to go and do volunteer work. I mean, last I heard, when a person does volunteer work, it's for free.

You know, I can bet my life that she keeps changing her mind AFTER talking to the guy she has over there. (Of course she will deny it).

I am NOT trying to be harsh but I just hate it when someone is peeing on me and then wants to make me believe it's raining!.

Cases like hers are a dime a dozen!.

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
wow
I think I need to set tye record straight once and 4 all!

I've moved from London to Gloucester to stay at my mums so I can save some more money . I've accepted th job as it's only for 6mths, it's good money and thats exactly what I need.
I start a 3mth spanish evening course in Jan.
I have contacted Crossroads as I thought it would be a good idea to try out some voluntry work and help me pick up abit more spanish.

I'm sure I've got much more to plan, but bit by bit I am doing it.

I'm not to sure if I even wanna mention that guy anuymore because a few of u have already assumed that he has some kind of power over e and that I don't have myown sense!

Take it or leave it, but I really don't want to go to the DR with any committments as I know it gonna be hard enough as it is!

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
Also I went for the job last mth, they told me that i had got it, but then I went back to the DR in October (yes foolishly got taken in by that guy) and decided to just go 4 the kill.

With regards to the post about not being peed on, no one aint peeing on u, the reason why I joined this forum in the first place was because I was confused and needed some guidance, so if I have been changing and deliberating thats because I don't wanna mess things up 4 myself. I appreciate all of the advice I've been given.

I'm not as naive as u all think, I'm just abit of a dreamer

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Ok, so you're a bit of a dreamer - who isn't to be fair!

My advice is, if it's what you want to do then go for it - but make sure you fully plan first and as I think somebody said make sure you have a plan B in place before you go and be sure to keep enough money aside to get a flight back any time you need to!

If you go - keep us posted on how things are going, maybe write a journal/blog so we can see how you're getting on. And most important of all - GOOD LUCK!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Como?.....

With regards to the post about not being peed on, no one aint peeing on u,
If you read your post carefully, you just admitted to peeing on me, wahahahahahaha!!.....I know it was a typo....

Listen, I already told you what I wanted to tell you.

Now, do what you have to do and have a happy life.

ROGER AND OUT!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
wow
I think I need to set tye record straight once and 4 all!

I've moved from London to Gloucester to stay at my mums so I can save some more money . I've accepted th job as it's only for 6mths, it's good money and thats exactly what I need.
I start a 3mth spanish evening course in Jan.
I have contacted Crossroads as I thought it would be a good idea to try out some voluntry work and help me pick up abit more spanish.

I'm sure I've got much more to plan, but bit by bit I am doing it.

I think I'm beginning to understand - you're using the forum as a sounding board in order to elicit information & views, yes? That's fine. Clearly if you've accepted the job for 6 months there is no way you could move here in January so you were just floating that idea to see what sort of responses you got to the idea of coming in to do voluntary work, yes?

Volunteers with reputable organisations like Crossroads are very well received here. Once you get into those bateys and see the stark poverty the tourist world down the road will completely disappear from your mind. It's like 2 separate worlds. The literacy level may come as a surprise too. If you're dispensing medications you frequently have to use sticky moons & suns to put on the envelope so people know which tablet is for morning & which for nighttime (because writing the words wouldn't mean anything). The residents won't try to 'take you in', like some of those in the resorts might do - they're too busy being grateful for your help and scratching out a living every day, sometimes going to the municipal tip to find food which has been thrown out. Most volunteers refer to the work as a life changing experience. You already have experience in social services in UK & health education in S. Africa - I think you would have an enormous amount to give as a volunteer.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Ven we need more dreamers here. Young energetic people are always welcome. Please don't forget to visit Santiago.