I'm new 2 all of this and would really appreciate some help

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear "Chunky", It's Nice To Hear from Someone Who Has Both feet Planted...

FIRMLY In The AIR!!!!!!!!!
Please come! Everyone loves a "Love Stort" with a SAD ENDING!!! As I'm sure yours will be!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccc

"Women"???????????????????????????????????????:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
Thanx for the positive advice. The way I c life is that u can either guard ur heart due to fear of getting hurt or u can take risks. I prefer the second option as I know whatever happens good or bad, I'll will always be ok. It sounds to me that there are alot of sad, bitter people who maybe once fell in love with a "sankie" and got hurt. Well if that did happen I'm sorry.

Who ever I meet regardless of what part of the world there from there will always be some risk involved. It's just how you deal with it!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be Sure And Say Your "Final Goodbys" To Your Family And Friends,

BEFORE you come to the DR!
"Flower Children" are soon "picked" in this Country!
Looking for a "Second Opinion"????? NO,you are NOT! You are looking for VALIDATION!!! Guess What??? You are not going to get that from all the people who actually live, and or work, here!
Soooooooo listen to the "ADVICE"????? of the few who tell you to follow your dreams! They are not living here! They like you, have been here for a 10 day vacation,and are living in your Dream World too!
Fasten your seatbelts everyone,this is going to be a bumpy ride!!Bumpy,but fun to read!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
Yet again more assumptions.
You don't know me to be telling me what I'm looking for. I don't need validation from u or anyone else. Yep I've only been there as a tourist but so what! How else am I gonna find out how the country really is without taking the chance to live there?

Theres nothing wrong with dreaming just as long there is some realism in that dream!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I Disagree

Do you know why you feel at home here? I think if you could analyse this it would help you (I don't mean post it, just think about it for yourself). You see there are plenty of young black women here in DR for whom life is not exactly a bed of roses. Would suggest you do some reading around the race issue. If you were to move to a tourist area you could find yourself mistaken for being Haitian - frequently Haitian women in DR in tourist areas are labelled all sorts of things which you wouldn't want attached to you. Not saying this should prevent you coming here, but better if you are fully informed before making any move.

I have also posted on the "living" message board under the headline "CHANGING MY LIFE... HELP". I have been reading what other people are saying here and some is sound advice and some of it is just plain mean. There are alot of sarcastic people on this website. I did want to comment on the young black woman issue. There is alot of racism in all countries but I have never, not saying that it won't happen, been mistaken for a haitian and I am a young black woman. I have been mistaken for a dominicana (by dominicans) but I chalk that up to the fact that I have learned my spanish, not in school but by actual dominicans (Thanks guys!). I think it depends on where you go because I think he mentioned in tourist areas it may be that way, and I have only been to a tourist area in puerto plata once out of my 3 visits there.
Also, you do need to make up your mind about exactly what you want to do. I am not one to say that I have all of the anwers because I am making the major move also and my situation is more serious because I have children but I can say this...it is similar to the saying that "IT IS BETTER TO HAVE LOVED AND LOST THAN NOT TO HAVE LOVED AT ALL". I say go for it and follow all of the sound advice that people are giving to you. There are some people on this site, I have learned, that want to make you feel bad, bottom line.If they make you feel bad but the advice is justly warranted, that is one thing but being an *** without any intention of helping is another.Thanks...I wish you luck, we will both need it, I'm sure

N

naturelover

i find it strange that you have never been to a tourist area in your visits.Isnt that what you do when you go to a strange country for the first time

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
i find it strange that you have never been to a tourist area in your visits.Isnt that what you do when you go to a strange country for the first time

I do not find it strange because I went to visit my best friend who is domincan and returned there in May to live. I did not go there to swim at the beach, I can do that here in the US. I went to Costa Rica for spanish immersion for three weeks and specifically asked not to be place in a tourist area, and stayed in a "campo" and loved it. I love DR for the country not for the catering...but that is just me, everyone is different. And by the way, I went to Riu resort for a day in Puerto Plata and was disgusted by all of the fat topless tourists who were lobster red and had breasts hanging all the way to their umbilicus. Take me to the campo please!!! I had more fun at the river in Sajoma.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Losing with Love

... but I have never, not saying that it won't happen, been mistaken for a haitian and I am a young black woman.
Well, if you have 'Haitian looks', are dark skinned and like to wear hats you could indeed be regarded as a Haitian. :knockedou
So what?

...you do need to make up your mind about exactly what you want to do. I am not one to say that I have all of the anwers because I am making the major move... but I can say this...it is similar to the saying that "IT IS BETTER TO HAVE LOVED AND LOST THAN NOT TO HAVE LOVED AT ALL". I say go for it...
I am hopeful that you'll teach us how to see things here, can't wait...:cross-eye

BTW, I love those sayings, in fact I have a little collection of them (which are quite common in the sankie victims fan club....)... :lick:

Janin

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
Chunka, for what it's worth, here is my 2 cents.
I been to the DR a few timesand it's been bitter-sweet for me. ( Seeing the life of a Domican in comparison to mine, and I live pay-check to pay-check) I stopped complaining instantly. However, I got home and tried to convince myself that I loved the counrty and wanted to move there because I hated where I lived due to the weather - winter, snow etc. After months of deliberation (talking to myself and doing research without asking anyone for advise ) I made the conscious decision to take a few months off work and go for a long vacation ( God willing). Now, I did not meet a guy, or anything for that matter - I just felt burned out and tired and wanted to do nothing for a while as I have been working since the age of 16 and almost 30. I feel badly that you have to read a few of these posts as they are quite mean; but, just take it like a grain of salt and just do you. Just look at it as you are going on a long vacation in oppose to moving there. Try it for a while, do your volunteer-work and party like a rock- star then go home and think real hard. I can assure you that on your lenghty vacation, you will have enough ammunition to determine what you are going to do. You cannot make/break your decision based on what people say... You can take a mini excercise look in the mirror, if you see people in the reflection then... I wish you all the best and I hope that things work out for you. Maybe I'll run into you when I'm on my vacation. Remember:Life is short; Eat,Pray,Love - read the book.

PS: You mentioned that your parents were Jamaincan? I should add then that you have more than enough experience to carry yourself in the DR... Just learn Spanish and I think you will be more than GOOD 2 GO...

Last edited:

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Chunka, What is it that your looking to get out of this post?
I will like to know before I engage in this thread fully. I don't want to make any assumptions nor judge your motives. I will take your word for what is worth. So please explain to me like i was a 4 year old boy. Why you posted in DR1. gracais

chunka

Nov 16, 2007
Thanx for all of the advice.

The reason wh y i posted on DR1 is because I've got all of these big ideas/plans and just wanted to hear what others thought.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Well, if you have 'Haitian looks', are dark skinned and like to wear hats you could indeed be regarded as a Haitian. :knockedou
So what?

I am hopeful that you'll teach us how to see things here, can't wait...:cross-eye

BTW, I love those sayings, in fact I have a little collection of them (which are quite common in the sankie victims fan club....)... :lick:

Janin

How funny. I am a young black woman, not "dark-skinned" as you say. Black woman are special as we come in all shades. And of course, I do not have all of the answers but I will try to give my opinion as best as I can.
BTW, I am no sanky...the sarcasm was nice though, Thanks.
SORRY ALSO...THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT ME, I WILL TRY NOT TO INTERRUPT AGAIN.

N

naturelover

my advice is if you dont try it you will be spending half your life thinking about trying it ...then the rest thinking what would have happened if if had tried it

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Am I ma Black Dominicna living ins Snaitago. I have a very humble life style andwe manage okay. with the strugle of any young proffesionals any where in the world. If yo uwill like to give it a try please do so Is an experice that only you will apreciete and after all when you hit that stage of your live where you cna only remember what yo did this trip will come in handy.
Ven te esperamos.
PS there are sanky in every country. US they are call Goldigers.