Immigration Application to Extend Tourist Card for 90 Days

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
You wrote at end of your statement that (they are not necessary ) did you actually have to submit those extra two requirements? Last yr I didn’t submit any solvency or medical and didn’t have to for either myself and family.. a little confused sorry because you said it didn’t let you submit without uploading them..
I had to submit them. The form would not click through to the final submission if they were not submitted.

My point was simply: the government guidance says the solvency and medical documents are not required, but to submit the application on the government website (at least as of August 2021) you could not finalize the application without providing them.

Reactions: cavok

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I had to submit them. The form would not click through to the final submission if they were not submitted.

My point was simply: the government guidance says the solvency and medical documents are not required, but to submit the application on the government website (at least as of August 2021) you could not finalize the application without providing them.
Thank you..no that wasn’t there before another new thing!!

Dreamer799

Mar 25, 2005
Providing a bank state statement for proof of solvency seems easy enough, but I would certainly redact my account number. I wonder how much money they are looking for as I would use an account that doesn't show too much money, but enough. 5K maybe?

robert8225

Mar 27, 2021
sosua
Hello guys! I was the one who opened this thread!
I was able to depart after 90 days without any issues.
Once I got to immigration officer to get my passport stamped for exit, he just looked at my arrival date and asked me If that was my arrival date? I said yes and justed pointed to go to booth #1 for impuestos! There the officer just showed me the chart for overstay with mine being 2500 pesos! (30 to 90 days)
I paid the fine no questions asked and went back to another officer who justed stamped my passport for exit. Very easy process

Aug 31, 2011
Hello guys! I was the one who opened this thread!
I was able to depart after 90 days without any issues.
Once I got to immigration officer to get my passport stamped for exit, he just looked at my arrival date and asked me If that was my arrival date? I said yes and justed pointed to go to booth #1 for impuestos! There the officer just showed me the chart for overstay with mine being 2500 pesos! (30 to 90 days)
I paid the fine no questions asked and went back to another officer who justed stamped my passport for exit. Very easy process
I am thinking you did what most everyone does... Pay the fine. However... Maybe what many of us are wondering... How do we do an extension following the guidelines on the immigration site? https://migracion.gob.do/en/servicio/stay-extension/

I am interested in knowing if this info from the link is a new policy for those who want legal status? Many know they can just pay the "impuestos" but for their volunteer work.. They are required to follow the stipulations in the law. Shorter stays were only allowed. Are longer stays now possible legally? What's the latest?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Our understanding is that by extending online, yes you become legal
Paying on exit, no you’re not legal after 30 days

Solves the driving problem

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am thinking you did what most everyone does... Pay the fine. However... Maybe what many of us are wondering... How do we do an extension following the guidelines on the immigration site? https://migracion.gob.do/en/servicio/stay-extension/

I am interested in knowing if this info from the link is a new policy for those who want legal status? Many know they can just pay the "impuestos" but for their volunteer work.. They are required to follow the stipulations in the law. Shorter stays were only allowed. Are longer stays now possible legally? What's the latest?
They are not impuestos, they are fines for staying illegally. I did notice you first used the proper terminology and then put impuestos, which means tax, in quotes.

I am not sure if paying ahead of time using the tourist card extension actually makes you legal, but for the sake of argument it might make you "legal" for up to 120 days in total by getting that extension. And that could mean you can also legally drive for up to 120 days. Maybe.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They are not impuestos, they are fines for staying illegally. I did notice you first used the proper terminology and then put impuestos, which means tax, in quotes.
In the airport in Punta Cana there is a chart that says Fees Not Fines . Take if for what it is worth..........

Reactions: It wasn't me

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

I am not sure if paying ahead of time using the tourist card extension actually makes you legal, but for the sake of argument it might make you "legal" for up to 120 days in total by getting that extension. And that could mean you can also legally drive for up to 120 days. Maybe.

In SDQ the sign definitely says "Impuestos". I noticed that the last time I passed through there. But I do agree, if you haven't extended the tourist card you are technically illegal but probably fine unless something serious happens to you and someone decides to use that status as a stick to beat you with.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In SDQ the sign definitely says "Impuestos". I noticed that the last time I passed through there. But I do agree, if you haven't extended the tourist card you are technically illegal but probably fine unless something serious happens to you and someone decides to use that status as a stick to beat you with.
So is Impuestos a fine or a fee. Supermarkets charge Impuestos also...............It is basically a tax.............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So is Impuestos a fine or a fee. Supermarkets charge Impuestos also...............It is basically a tax.............
DR1's own lawyer previously clarified this point. It is a fine for overstaying. Paying the fine does not mean the overstay was legal.

(Do you pay a fine or a tax if you overpark? )

All this data goes into Migracion's data base.

Having a return ticket is a requirement for visitors. Many airlines don't ask but are required to ask by DR regulations, etc, etc. We have only discussed that related point a thousand times on how to work around it with fully refundable tickets.

It's like deja vu all over again.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
DR1's own lawyer previously clarified this point. It is a fine for overstaying. Paying the fine does not mean the overstay was legal.

(Do you pay a fine or a tax if you overpark? )

All this data goes into Migracion's data base.

Having a return ticket is a requirement for visitors. Many airlines don't ask but are required to ask by DR regulations, etc, etc. We have only discussed that related point a thousand times on how to work around it with fully refundable tickets.

It's like deja vu all over again.
And the bottom line is still NOTHING , NADA. You have lived here long enough to know this...................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And the bottom line is still NOTHING , NADA. You have lived here long enough to know this...................
You are absolutely right. No enforcement of the law as it is written continues! With no ramifications except paying an exit fine.
And your point is?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My mistake, it did require the return ticket previously. That was easy to work around by purchasing a fully refundable ticket. What disappeared and now reappeared again are the financial solvency proof and a medical exam.

Pikolo

Mar 27, 2022
Toronto
Hi there.I don't think paying a fine is the answer. You're breaking the law. I think it's better to get health insurance and prove your ability to pay. Or consult a lawyer or someone in the know about it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi there.I don't think paying a fine is the answer. You're breaking the law. I think it's better to get health insurance and prove your ability to pay. Or consult a lawyer or someone in the know about it.
It isn't about health insurance at all. Not sure where that comment comes from.